Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Travel telephoto lens

Default Re: Travel telephoto lens

Quote Originally Posted by aleow View Post
    USD is found on Tamron?

yes.

Quote Originally Posted by tecnica View Post
    wah, think the singer/composer analog is kinda off track.

in music, composer is important too, if not the singer will be singing crappy lines.
    lol...what i mean is no better how good the composer is, the singer must also be of quality la.. of course both is important...

so its the same here ma.. you give me a 70-200 f2.8 oso useless cos i still can't produce stunning photos. but land in the hand of a better photographer its different story liao right

[QUOTE=Kongfu;7888858]
    Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    I guess I can live with the image quality of a superzoom. haha

Hi Anson,

Nice work

This clearly reflect what they says "It's the singer, not the composer". Just like giving Tiger Woods a cheapo club and I bet he still hits it as far.
    aiyah! are we not tired of such lecture!

Hmmm if the PZD is out of your budget you could consider trying out its older brother the non-PZD version. Try a post at the B&S section to see if anyone is willing to let it go at a reasonable price.

Alternatively, you could rent the lenses and try it out for yourself before buying one. However, I could only find the sigma 18-200 and 70-300.

Another rental site - Camera Rental

Do note the location of the service centre for tamron. It's not at a very convenient place and they open during weekdays office hours. Kenna once force take one day leave for repair and almost need to take another day to collect.. Luckily they do courier lens back to owner, owner bears the shipping fee though...
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

I'm sori if it sounds lecture to some but to me it's a fact some just wouln't admit

Anyway i'm not qualified to lecture anybody out there as my photography sucks lol and i will still want to go for the best hoping that the equipment will bring my lvl up lol

Quote Originally Posted by Anson

I guess I can live with the image quality of a superzoom. haha

Hey Anson. I am familiar with your work, and they are impressive. It is just that I have certain preferences yeah.

I started out with a Tamron 28-200mm and that little thing got me several winning pictures, which I am certainly proud of. There are flaws though, when viewed closely. I really don't pixel peep, but the better lenses really shows the difference, if you know where to look.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Quote Originally Posted by phoeniix
    Hmmm if the PZD is out of your budget you could consider trying out its older brother the non-PZD version. Try a post at the B&S section to see if anyone is willing to let it go at a reasonable price.

Alternatively, you could rent the lenses and try it out for yourself before buying one. However, I could only find the sigma 18-200 and 70-300.

Another rental site - Camera Rental

Cool.. thanks for the great info

Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye
    Do note the location of the service centre for tamron. It's not at a very convenient place and they open during weekdays office hours. Kenna once force take one day leave for repair and almost need to take another day to collect.. Luckily they do courier lens back to owner, owner bears the shipping fee though...
    Ooohhh that doesnt sound friendly at all... i do hope Tamron lenses are trouble free

Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    Hey Anson. I am familiar with your work, and they are impressive. It is just that I have certain preferences yeah.

I started out with a Tamron 28-200mm and that little thing got me several winning pictures, which I am certainly proud of. There are flaws though, when viewed closely. I really don't pixel peep, but the better lenses really shows the difference, if you know where to look.
    OT

Every lens have it's strong points and it's flaws as well, it's up to the photographers to work around the shortcomings to maximum the equipment at hand.

Using a prime 85 on a beautiful model posing in front of a sport car, lighted by 3 strobes mounted in softbox & snoot, a shot below would be easily achievable. But what the fun of photography without some challenge?

Quote Originally Posted by aleow View Post
    Ooohhh that doesnt sound friendly at all... i do hope Tamron lenses are trouble free
    Also do note that Canon Service Center opens Mon-Fri to 7pm only....So, for those who work at the Northern, Western or Eastern part of SG, you may have difficulties reaching there by 7pm.

btw, A superzoom like 18-2xx is definitely great for travels. 55-250 is abit to tight for my normal walkaround...but it's OK when I go for close-ups, but as of recent, my Sigma 17-50 is getting more showtime than my 55-250 in close up shots.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    Also do note that Canon Service Center opens Mon-Fri to 7pm only....So, for those who work at the Northern, Western or Eastern part of SG, you may have difficulties reaching there by 7pm.
    Actually CSC now open on Sat (10:00am - 2:30pm) as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Actually CSC now open on Sat (10:00am - 2:30pm) as well.
    Oh, thanks for the info...I always thought it opens on Weekdays only...which is a bummer when I need to send my camera down for servicing.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by Anson

OT

Every lens have it's strong points and it's flaws as well, it's up to the photographers to work around the shortcomings to maximum the equipment at hand.

Using a prime 85 on a beautiful model posing in front of a sport car, lighted by 3 strobes mounted in softbox & snoot, a shot below would be easily achievable. But what the fun of photography without some challenge?
    Glad you think that way. Enjoy!
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    Oh, thanks for the info...I always thought it opens on Weekdays only...which is a bummer when I need to send my camera down for servicing.
    I hope that I would not need to send my equip now anytime soon... but at least I could request for a loaner when it's under repair unlike the third party brands...

Quote Originally Posted by aleow
    Thanks brother Blur Shadow for the insight.

Will a "more delicated" zoom lens like the 55-250 have a slightly better image quality?

im thinking more of a convenience of not changing lens in dusty roads conditions. hmmm but if the 28-300 going to give me unusable images then that will be a problem...

Ok will read more on those web. Cos im quite confuse by some of the terms vc, os, pzd etc. Will slowly find out what they means..

Thanks for your input
    Hi. Sorry I missed this earlier.

Going for a 2 lens setup (kit lens plus dedicated telephoto zoom) is probably cheaper. As for dust going in, I am not the sort that gets bothered by it. Can't remember if the 1100D has sensor cleaning function, but mine has and that's good enough for me.

Either way, it really isn't a make or break situation.

I started with a Tamron 28-200, an all in one zoom. I later switched to a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and Nikon 70-300mm G lens combo. Decided that the telephoto wasn't that great and swapped it for a Nikon 55-200mm VR. I held this combo for a long while before acquiring better lenses.

Even though the lenses weren't the best, it did get the job done. Of course, when I evaluate my photos now, I know where the technical shortcomings are.

So really, I'd say get what you feel most comfortable with - which apparently is an all in one zoom.

Just stay happy yeah!
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

TS, if you want a single travel lens setup, and not a pixel-peeper, Just buy either the canon efs18-200 or the tamron 18-270 pzd, then sell your 18-55 on B&S. Don't read too much of reviews, both will produce results that looks about the same when you upload on facebook

dun bother to consider the 28-300mm, as 28mm is not wide at all on a crop frame camera.

Do understand that at such wide a range, there are limitations to what the lens can do. But there will be many great photos if you are able to fully understand how to maximise it potential on your 1100D

honestly, if you think that by getting a 18-2XX zoom lens, you will be able to capture fast moving wild animals eg dolphin, you will be sorely disappointed. Most of the time, it will just be blur pictures. There is the camera body and the interaction between the camera and lens to consider.

That is why professional wildlife photographer needs to carry large fast prime telephoto lenses, high-speed camera, filters, tripod, gimbal heads, etc etc. and out of thousands of photos, only a few can be natGeo stuff.

But there is always luck, being at the right place at the right time, capturing the exact moment properly. However, you can be garantee that the 18-2XX lens will help you take great pics of landscape, buildings, and slower things.

my 2 cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by tikiman
    But there is always luck, being at the right place at the right time, capturing the exact moment properly.
    Everyone needs some luck occasionally! Quite true!
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

thank you all so very much i really appreciate it

I had used the 18-200 initially but found the distortion unbearable for me and sold it off.

Then I found the 18-135 which has less distortion and I used t. Picture quality is identical for both.
    Frankly the 135 vs 200mm isn't as big a difference than u think.

Used 18-135 can be had for abt $300,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast