Thread: GF3 Lens Questions!

Default GF3 Lens Questions!

Hi!

I'm new to the entire photography hobby and I'm loving it! I own a GF3 with the standard kit lenses and would like to buy more lenses to experiment. So, apart from the standard Lumix lenses, what other lenses could be used? How do i know which adaptors to buy and match? Are there places in Germany or Russia to buy reasonably priced old lenses? Await your guidance!

Jacky

Default Re: GF3 Lens Questions!

Hi jacky599r,
    you have so many questions!
    it might be better to post your questions in the Four Thirds Standard (4/3 and m43) section.

Anyway, GF3 can use all m4/3 lenses without need of adaptors, so you have a choice of Panasonic/ Olympus lenses to choose from.
    Short Reviews of Micro4/3 Lenses by Thom Hogan has a list of available m4/3 lenses.

Unless you have a special lens you want to use that is not of the m4/3 mount, you won't need an adaptor. The range of m4/3 lenses should be sufficient for you to experiment with.

Hope this helps.

Haha, i thought my question would qualify for a newbie! Thanks alot!!!
    Anyhow, i love the bokeh effect but said to say i can only do it on subjects up close! What would you suggest if i am looking at achieving that kinda effect with a zoom lens?

Quote Originally Posted by jacky599r View Post
    Hi!

I'm new to the entire photography hobby and I'm loving it! I own a GF3 with the standard kit lenses and would like to buy more lenses to experiment. So, apart from the standard Lumix lenses, what other lenses could be used? How do i know which adaptors to buy and match? Are there places in Germany or Russia to buy reasonably priced old lenses? Await your guidance!

Jacky
    Panasonic GF3 is a micro 4/3 camera, as of such, you can get m4/3 mount lenses from both Panasonic and Olympus (note that some of Olympus lenses are 4/3 lenses and not m4/3, as of such, you would need an adapter for those lenses). As for other mount lenses, you would need specific adapter, it is very easy, take for example a Canon EF mount lens, you need a EF to m4/3 adapter for GF3 to use the canon lens.

However, do note that other than the m4/3 lenses specifically designed for that mounting, most of the other lenses (except for Olympus 4/3 mount lenses which require a special adapter and still retain the AF capability of the lens - at least for Olympus micro4/3, not sure if it works for Panasonic) are purely manual lenses when put on a GF3.

I am not that sure about places in Germany or Russia selling these equipment though (never been to those countries ).
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots