Thread: Silky water.

Default Silky water.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    I'm just starting photography as a new hobby, so every critiques from composition, lighting, etc. are very welcome

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    I wanted to share to feeling of the water flow.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    I took this photo when I was cycling, feelng of taking silky effect.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    This photo was posted without any post-processing. It conveyed my true feeling. I hope someone can relate to that feeling through the photo

Default Re: Silky water.

I note that you already have a few comments in your original post
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newbi...bies-dslr.html

I'm also quite new here so can only give some basic advice
    from your exif data it shows: F/22, 1s shutter speed and ISO100. 35mm focal length - 27
    at 1s quite likely to get blur pictures due to shaking even with modern image stabilisation features
    but because you want the 'silky effect' you have to slow down your shutter speed, so don't think you can avoid using tripod.
    At F22 the picture will likely be soft due to diffraction effects

lighting wise the sky on the top right is blown... you might want to crop that out, or shoot at another time

composition wise probably have to give more thought about how to bring about the feeling... to me I'm not very creative and feel your 'feeling' is quite abstract so unable to offer much to help. Maybe you want to isolate your subject more, and not allow the surroundings to distract the viewer if they are not contributing

thanks for sharing
    shoot more, think more, then shoot even more, unfortunately for most of us this is the way to learn

You had a very challenging subject "emotion"-feeling, a picture w/o word and to express the emotion normally is the senior student in the college will consider this subject.

Before touching the topic of composition, you need interesting subject, for example waterfall with beautiful background that will catch people eye. For commercial products catalog of building materials they will use your photo but I know this is not what you want. If you are a Art Director, in concept how do you express this feeling of taking silky effect. Let's hear from you in words.
    Canon 5D II, 20-35 f/2.8L, 28-80 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-300 f/5.6L, 100 f/2.8 Macro

I took silky water before... around 10+years ago with my prosumer p&s on my first few shooting trip
    rock

f/22....u need a nd filter...
    Stirring up emotions with pics - cyliew

you could try to position waterfall towards the left a bit, expose more about the curve to create a longer view.
    Also you need a filter for such shot.
    hope these helps you.

Quote Originally Posted by MicSanity View Post
    you could try to position waterfall towards the left a bit, expose more about the curve to create a longer view.
    Also you need a filter for such shot.
    hope these helps you.
    Thank for your advice. Btw what filter will be better?

Quote Originally Posted by SamTang View Post
    Thank for your advice. Btw what filter will be better?
    and if you have time take a look at the in-house guide
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newbi...e-filters.html

tons of info in the stickies in the various sub-forums and catered to our local context =)