Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How easy is it to get Annual Credit Card Fee Waiver for current holders?

Quote Originally Posted by offspring
    u'll be surprised.

to reiterate offspring's statement.......u will be very very surprise.......!

Me-- call the CC centre " Hello, I want to cancel my CC"
    bank --"wait , I check"
    bank -- "Is it due to the annual fees"
    me -- "Yes"
    bank -- "Ok, I can wavie it of if u use it 3x in a mth or charge a amount using the CC"
    me-- "No, cannot .. no extra cash"
    bank -- "Ok, I check somemore"
    bank -- "Ok, Mdm, I wavie the annual fee for another yr. Pls use it more freq"
    me -- "Ok. Thanks!"

In the end, the CC is sitting inside my drawer for another yr..

But sometime, really want to cancel the card but the bank just try to make you stay with them...

My husband got a way to bank (non-local one)
    he call and ask to wavie the fee.
    bank say cannot.. but what they can do is, downgrade it to CC (he's holding Gold card). Free 1 more yr. Transfer the existing pt to the CC
    The next yr, he call again, ask for the same thing.
    what the bank did is, upgarde he to gold card. free another yr, transfer the existing pt to the new gold card...

He has been doing that for quite 2-3 times...

you know, I lost my OCBC creditline ATM card once and was given a free replacement with an advise ....lost again and be charged $5. Guess what? I loss the card again and they wanted $5 replacement fee. So I told the girl, I don't intend to pay for the card and I can go by without it. Now since I don't have the ATM card, I can't possibly use the creditline you've given me .... so what say you if I terminate the credit line facility since I'm here at the counter now and don't want to queue allover again. ...she shot her foot and I got the card FOC.

I don't see why us consumers should get charged annual fees in the first place. Everytime we pay with a card, the banks profit from it, and handsomely too.

I've finally found a new card which does not require me to keep calling in every year with a threat to cancel my card if fees are not waived. OCBC has just launched their Titanium card which will automatically waive the fees if you spend $5000 with it annually. I don't think that'd be too hard to achieve, especially round the holiday season.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Terence
    I don't see why us consumers should get charged annual fees in the first place. Everytime we pay with a card, the banks profit from it, and handsomely too.

I've finally found a new card which does not require me to keep calling in every year with a threat to cancel my card if fees are not waived. OCBC has just launched their Titanium card which will automatically waive the fees if you spend $5000 with it annually. I don't think that'd be too hard to achieve, especially round the holiday season.
    $5000 is not a small amount. i would have difficulty meeting it.

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    $5000 is not a small amount. i would have difficulty meeting it.
    ya loh, my total receipts for the past 3 years is below 5k

unless i can use CC at foodcourt and 2nd hand purchase

I tend to CC everything, phone bills, road tax, grocery shopping.... every little bit adds up.

Lightbulb

I tend to CC everything, phone bills, road tax, grocery shopping.... every little bit adds up.
    it needs an organised and systematic person to track and make timely payments through CC.

it needs an organised and systematic person to track and make timely payments through CC.
    juz Giro the CC payment loh...

btw can CC utilities bills or not?
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN

1st line. what do you mean? care to explain.

You can apparently pay your Singtel bill via AMEX. Road Tax is payable via Diners Club. Long distance charges with Sunpage 1521 can be paid with any CC. The list goes on...

Lightbulb

i do not see CC payment behind SP's bill.

GIRO is GIRO, nothing much to explain?

I know that DBS Bank does not charge a cancellation fee if you cancel your interest free installment plan. Other banks do.

Alternatively, you can find some cards which requires you to charge XX times per year to waive the following year's annual fee. Or if your company has a corporate card, apply for it. The annual fees are waived. You don't even need to ask and most probably, you'll enjoy the rewards system too.

Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by shutterspeed
    It also depends on whether you have any interest-free instalments. The very high cancellation fee for these instalment plans will 'persuade' you to pay the annual fee.

He means that your CC bill can be paid via GIRO.

I don't like doing that as I like to have control over what gets despensed from my bank account each month.

Wah ... didn't expect this to generate so much interest ... thanks fellas! Seems that I have to be more thick-skin ...

Lightbulb

He means that your CC bill can be paid via GIRO.

I don't like doing that as I like to have control over what gets despensed from my bank account each month.
    i have these arrangements. only for those bills which can be paid by CC.

2nd para. what i do is when the CC bill arrived, i go through each item and amount. if all is in order, i filed them away. otherwise, i will verify with the chit/s which i signed. this procedure is to guard against unauthorised payment/s. i hate to miss the CC payment deadline and get a penalty. that is why i chose giro.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123