Thread: When is tilting the horizon alright?

Default When is tilting the horizon alright?

Hi people! I know that as a general rule of thumb, it's best to avoid tilting the horizon when taking pictures.

But, are there any exceptions to such a rule and that tilting the horizon will actually make the picture looks nicer and more comfortable?

In which kind of photography is tilting the horizon used?(eg. portrait, landscape,etc..) Any photos that u can post to let us see how such pictures will look like?

Thanks for sharing ur advice!

Well, I'll tilt only when neither landscape nor portrait mode can frame up what i want but very seldom.

when you know what effect you want.... go ahead. there are no rules for photography...

Quote Originally Posted by asturias105

In which kind of photography is tilting the horizon used
    whenever u feel like it.

because u are the one who makes the image

If you tilt, tilt more. The ever-so-slightly tilted horizons are the ones which is irritating. To to the extent that it shows your intention, and not show up like a mistake on your part.

Regards
    CK

erhm.....as rule of thumb, try not to do it for landscape shots....coz a tilted horizon will look bad for the scenery.....

for all else....y not....rules are made to be broken....

Some tilted pics are very well done....especially the potrait and wedding shots that I saw.....I guess there must be a balance of elements in the picture....

IF, IN YOUR EYES, tilting makes for a stronger composition, do it! Otherwise don't.

Have someone lean over really far while walking, making faces like they're struggling. Tilt the horizon... That'd be a probably overdone, but interesting shot.

Blog Entries

it depends who you are shooting for, if it is a paid job, it is better to know the preference. If you are shooting for yourself, then the only rules are your rules.