Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How important is family background in determining success in life?

Default Re: How important is family background in determining success in life?

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    How important is family background in determining success in life?
    Different people have different definitions of success. For some it's earning the most money, for some it's getting the most fame and recognition, for some it's just living a simple life.

One's family is not the sole factor which contributes towards one's personal definition of success, though it does play a part. Given this, then there is no good answer to your question.

Depends on which surname and family :

Lxe and Txn sure success

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post

Lxe and Txn sure success
    Ha ha, yes,
    No Lxe cannot be Prime Minister, must Go
    No Txn cannot be President or naTxn

Lxe and Txn sure success
    that means a huge majority of the Chinese in Singapore

It depends.
    Had friends who were born super rich and now they are poor.
    Had friends who were born poor and now they are rich.

Sometimes the "family" loses its fortune for whatever reasons or fractures due to internal squabbling.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 3rd May 2012 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    that means a huge majority of the Chinese in Singapore
    Vesak day coming.
    Istana open house.
    Just go and call the one with white hair shaking ppl's hands "Ah Pa" - sure success one
    At the very least get prolonged exemption from reservist
    Last edited by pinholecam; 3rd May 2012 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam

Vesak day coming.
    Istana open house.
    Just go and call the one with white hair shaking ppl's hands "Ah Pa" - sure success one
    At the very least get prolonged exemption from reservist
    Never been to istana, what is there to see ?
    Got free buffer or not ?
    | 5Diii | 24 ii | 40 | 24-70 ii | 24-105 | 70-200 F4 IS | 270 ii | 600EX-RT |

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    family background 0 to 15%

family upbringing ......... 100%
    agreed

Family background is a plus to start with. But it cannot continue forever.
    It is more rewarding to start and work on your own towards a goal.
    In this context, family background means family support in whatever form
    Last edited by henry soh; 5th May 2012 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam

Lxe and Txn sure success
    I also Lxx surname, but not sucesseful .. haha

I wish I knew what my real surname was...
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Quote Originally Posted by ahboy168 View Post
    Never been to istana, what is there to see ?
    Col. Sanders with dentures.

Don't shake too hard, later his dentures drop out again.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 5th May 2012 at 11:39 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by fotoudavid View Post
    i have many color backgrounds......
    ... Alamak, they teach me to always bokeh off the background.... No wonder I gone case liao...
    651D90 Mk II cameller™ ...... "Ai Camel Mai ?"

How much or how little depends on you. If you got fire in your belly and can piss fire, family background is not really important, it helps some. If you plan to coast through life, not ambition for any thing other than have a prolonged good time with out work much then family background is everything to you.

Old chinese belief that wealth in the family will not pass down more than 3 generations is forged from observation.

Some people keep telling me the "white horse" system in SAF is not just some unspoken rule, but it was rather a proper, institutionalized directive. Can anyone confirm?

Quote Originally Posted by ArchRival View Post
    Some people keep telling me the "white horse" system in SAF is not just some unspoken rule, but it was rather a proper, institutionalized directive. Can anyone confirm?
    I have seen medical dockets with the initial "WH" on it.

Whatever that acronym means is up to anyone guesses for those not in the know.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    I have seen medical dockets with the initial "WH" on it.

Whatever that acronym means is up to anyone guesses for those not in the know.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchRival View Post
    I have also seen dockets with "WH" and indeed those are the special ones. This has also been confirmed by MINDEF.

'White horse' classification for NSmen existed prior to 2000
    By Dominique Loh, Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE : Minister of State for Defence Cedric Foo said the Singapore Armed Forces had a 'white horse' classification for NSmen prior to year 2000.

He said the term was used to identify sons of influential persons to ensure such enlistees were not given preferential treatment.

Mr Foo was replying to a question in Parliament on Tuesday by Non-Constituency MP Steve Chia.

Mr Chia asked if there was such a classification and, if so, who qualifies to be classified as a 'white horse' and what privileges are accorded to them.

It is a rite of passage for all 18-year-old Singaporean men.

They enlist and serve two or two-and-a-half years of National Service in a variety or vocations ranging from combat to clerical.

But for many years, some NSmen have wondered if the battlefield is really level.

There were whispers that the sons of influential Singaporeans, dubbed 'white horses', were supposedly getting special treatment during their National Service.

"I thought they got special treatment that was what I was lead to believe."

"I don't have any 'white horse' in my platoon, but from what I heard, these people do have special treatment and they will get less punishment, easy jobs but don't know if it's true."

"It should be taken out, everyone is equal regardless if you are a politician's son, someone powerful, rich. You are Singaporean, we all have to go through NS one point or another, why should you receive special treatment? "

Well, for what many Singaporeans say is the first time, the Defence Ministry has publicly admitted to having a 'white horse' classification.

But the purpose was the exact opposite.

Mr Foo said: "All NSmen are treated equally and are deployed in vocations and units based on SAF operational requirements, their medical classification, and their academic and military performance. No NSmen has been accorded special privileges.

"Prior to year 2000, the term 'white horse' was used to identify sons of influential persons to ensure such enlistees were not given preferential treatment. And their medical classification and vocation assignments are scrupulously fair."

But there were no follow-up questions from MPs. So then why scrap the scheme?

Mr Foo said: "Over the years, the public has widely accepted that the NS assignment system is fair and there is no preferential treatment to anyone. Since 2000, the SAF does not have a white horse classification for NSmen." - CNA

Oh BTW, Cedric Foo really deserve his high pay for coming out with such a fantastic answer. I would not have thought of such an answer.

His explanation for why the system was terminated is also excellent. We have such good ministers.

That's bullshit. Almost all of us who went through NS knows that white horse are/were given preferential treatment with easier & non-combative vocations or groomed to be higher ranking officers. I have personally rubbed shoulders with sons of stars & crabs and none were storeman or corporals in the field etc, you get what I mean but clerks certainly. There are of course those who strive to be the best & honestly speaking, one who's from an "elite" family are always better educated & stands to be minimum Sergeant +

Even in the regular SAF world, we have "farmers" (diplomas & below), scholars that were either local Unis, Cambridge or Ivy leagues, 1st class honours, MBA etc. & soldiers of different cohorts group in their own.

I was an RSAF pilot trainee, elite among SAF & there are many grades of pilots. I fondly remember two fellow trainee officers of distinction. One was a President's scholar & top student in USN Top Gun school, a great honour & another drove a Jaguar to attend IPPT, double honours in Cambridge, superb leadership & PR skills. They should be full Colonels by now & these are examples of alpha males.

Another case will be my friend who's father is a famous developer & calls Winston Choo as friend. Son was directed to be a CO PA, 9-5 job.

In short, if you come from a good background & has the ability, you'll excel above the regulars.
    "Like Moths, photographers gather at the sight of light" Robert Doisneau
    My Little Port

grandfather .a.k.a. great leader --> father .a.k.a. dear leader --> son a.k.a. (later on given title of ??? leader)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12