Thread: Bangkok - Street Photography

Default Bangkok - Street Photography

I'm going in June for 4 days to shoot some street in Bangkok. This is possibly my 9-10th time, but first time to really concentrate on shooting. Was wondering if there are any places I can consider?

I am not a fan of shooting at temples or places of worship. I was thinking Chatuchak, Pratunam area, Siam Square area, a bit of Sukhumvit Soi 11, Soi Nana.. anything else?
    D7000 + 50mm

Default Re: Bangkok - Street Photography

Hi! Coincidentally I'll also be flying to Bangkok tomorrow! There is one place I hope I can go to; Maekhlong station (if I pronounce correctly) as there were markets surrounding the rail tracks. Not sure if that's good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by lewissac View Post
    Hi! Coincidentally I'll also be flying to Bangkok tomorrow! There is one place I hope I can go to; Maekhlong station (if I pronounce correctly) as there were markets surrounding the rail tracks. Not sure if that's good for you.
    Oh yeah, that's one place I thought about but I never knew the name. Thanks for the tip!
    D7000 + 50mm

hey, do share some pics when ure back! Will be interested to see what people photograph while in bangkok. I went bangkok 6 times and end up with low shutter count at the end of each trip. Not sure if I'm too busy shopping or what. And yes, temples doesn't interest me at all too...
    5D MKIII | 40Pancake | 16-35 F4L | 24-105L | 600EX-RTs

Quote Originally Posted by slasher1983 View Post
    hey, do share some pics when ure back! Will be interested to see what people photograph while in bangkok. I went bangkok 6 times and end up with low shutter count at the end of each trip. Not sure if I'm too busy shopping or what. And yes, temples doesn't interest me at all too...
    I'll try my very best this time. haha..
    D7000 + 50mm

Maybe the markets during the night will be a good place for street photography?

Bring long lens with F2.8 or bigger. otherwise, difficult to capture the nice night life.

lol why long lens? i'm quite happy with my 50mm 1.8. will go up close to people.
    D7000 + 50mm

Been to all these places:
    Take the underground MRT and check out places like Lad Phrao and Bang Sue railway station.
    Can take BTS and go across the Chao Phraya river to places like Wongwian Yai. Wongwian Yai area - Bangkok - Reviews of Wongwian Yai area - TripAdvisor
    Check out Ratchada area glitzy nightlife area somewhat like our Geylang but more upmarket style.

Check out Ramkhamhaeng (eastern outskirt)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy-ZYlpKDUU

Maeklong Station is far away in southwest direction from BKK central. (have not been there)
    Last edited by ricohflex; 3rd May 2012 at 12:56 AM.

If you like markets, you may want to check out the one in Chinatown. Quite huge and lots of interesting stuff and people. In fact, you can get a lot of good shots around the streets of Chinatown, without venturing into the markets.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Been to all these places:
    Take the underground MRT and check out places like Lad Phrao and Bang Sue railway station.
    Can take BTS and go across the Chao Phraya river to places like Wongwian Yai. Wongwian Yai area - Bangkok - Reviews of Wongwian Yai area - TripAdvisor
    Check out Ratchada area glitzy nightlife area somewhat like our Geylang but more upmarket style.

Check out Ramkhamhaeng (eastern outskirt)
    Saturday Night at Ramkhamhaeng University Street Market - YouTube

Maeklong Station is far away in southwest direction from BKK central. (have not been there)
    Very good tips. I totally forgotten about their underground MRT system. Thanks!!!
    D7000 + 50mm

Quote Originally Posted by roamfree View Post
    If you like markets, you may want to check out the one in Chinatown. Quite huge and lots of interesting stuff and people. In fact, you can get a lot of good shots around the streets of Chinatown, without venturing into the markets.
    I've been to 1-2 markets within Yaorawat. I think I know what you mean. Generally don't like venturing all the way there coz I hate taking taxis in BKK. Thanks for the tip, I might consider!
    D7000 + 50mm

I just came back, gf first time there. so more like extreme shopping for her, at the normal places.

i just tag along only. sorry quite shaky cos i handheld all the way.

Last edited by eleveninth; 3rd May 2012 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    I just came back, gf first time there. so more like extreme shopping for her, at the normal places.

i just tag along only. sorry quite shaky cos i handheld all the way.
    Nice. Video is not shaky. Thanks for sharing.
    Maybe you meant hands a bit shaky after you helped carry the heavy shopping bags - as you say, "extreme shopping".
    Last edited by ricohflex; 4th May 2012 at 01:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Nice. Video is not shaky. Thanks for sharing.
    Maybe you meant hands a bit shaky after you helped carry the heavy shopping bags - as you say, "extreme shopping".
    hahaha.. that too. I was carrying quite a few shopping bags.

nice vid! thanks for sharing.
    D7000 + 50mm

Very nice video! Makes me miss bkk already.

Oh ya, love The Xx too! Brilliant choice of song! (Y)

Quote Originally Posted by RB26DETT View Post
    Very nice video! Makes me miss bkk already.

Oh ya, love The Xx too! Brilliant choice of song! (Y)
    thanks yea the xx is da bomb

what about mbk?

Quote Originally Posted by moveslikejagger92 View Post
    what about mbk?
    MBK? It's like Katong Shopping Centre or Lucky Plaza. You mean shooting in MBK?
    D7000 + 50mm