Thread: Recording through optical viewfinder

Default Recording through optical viewfinder

Hi guys, I have been searching the net to look for a solution: To output whatever is seen through an optical viewfinder.

I understand that this might be a weird question, given that most cameras have live view or connection interface ports, this should not be an issue. I am referring to a rangefinder/binocular equivalent kind of optical system. I have it mounted onto a system and it would be in an awkward position for a person to view through it, so I am wondering how is it possible to output it to an external display. I have seen quite a few videos on the net that they are able to film what is seen through the optical viewfinder. Is this through tethered shooting or there exist a camera that is able to fit into standard eyepieces?

Mods: sorry if this does not belong to this section.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Recording through optical viewfinder

Quote Originally Posted by madnugget View Post
    Hi guys, I have been searching the net to look for a solution: To output whatever is seen through an optical viewfinder.

I understand that this might be a weird question, given that most cameras have live view or connection interface ports, this should not be an issue. I am referring to a rangefinder/binocular equivalent kind of optical system. I have it mounted onto a system and it would be in an awkward position for a person to view through it, so I am wondering how is it possible to output it to an external display. I have seen quite a few videos on the net that they are able to film what is seen through the optical viewfinder. Is this through tethered shooting or there exist a camera that is able to fit into standard eyepieces?

Just use another camera and tape it to the viewfinder... those cheap small spy cams comes to mind. You can find a lot of them in Mustafa or in SLS.

Quote Originally Posted by GRbenji View Post
    Huh?

No link to his question.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Huh?

No link to his question.
    Oops, misread his post.

Quote Originally Posted by madnugget View Post

Yes. Binocular or telescope adaptors to interface a camera or a webcam are wildly available for such a purpose.

CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra