Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35

Thread: Combo of Lens

  1. #21

    Default

    Wow. Thanks alot for that info. I always thought the camera focus is faulty. Haha

  2. #22
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123
    For landscape photos, most of us use manual mode.. but focus on where?
    While some experts may frown on this but... I find that for distance landscape in good light, just auto everything (esp. AF area) and let the camera decide. 99.9% it will get it right. At most fix ISO to lowest and aperture to f8 or f11. No fussing around with hyper focal distance. I concern myself more with composition and getting the moment right (eg. The shadow cast by passing clouds etc).
    Last edited by UncleFai; 3rd May 2012 at 08:13 AM.

  3. #23
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Combo of Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    While some experts may frown on this but... I find that for distance landscape in good light, just auto everything (esp. AF area) and let the camera decide. 99.9% it will get it right. At most fix ISO to lowest and aperture to f8 or f11. No fussing around with hyper focal distance. I concern myself more with composition and getting the moment right (eg. The shadow cast by passing clouds etc).
    While that works for some situations, it will not work in other situations, especially, when there is dynamic light involved, like sunrise, sunset, and when your composition starts to improve and you want to create some foreground interest.

    99.9% of the time, Auto mode everything does not work for the shots I want to create. Examples of these kind of shots "auto everything" cannot handle attached below...

    In the end, it all comes down to how far one wants to take photography. One can stay on "auto everything" and continue in the status quo and only shoot in good light at distant landscape... or one can choose to learn and push the boundaries and fully understand and enjoy the journey the hobby and craft of photography can bring, and start making good pictures.





    BTW, TS... this pic is shot using the Tokina 11-16 you are considering... mounted on an older D300s.


    Last edited by daredevil123; 3rd May 2012 at 09:06 AM.

  4. #24
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Default Re: Combo of Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    While that works for some situations, it will not work in other situations, especially, when there is dynamic light involved, like sunrise, sunset, and when your composition starts to improve and you want to create some foreground interest.

    99.9% of the time, Auto mode everything does not work for the shots I want to create. Examples of these kind of shots "auto everything" cannot handle attached below...
    You are right. For your kind of lighting situation, getting the right exposure is the challenge. So yes, fussing with metering - manual if necessary. But unless it gets really dark, I still think AF area will do the job.

  5. #25
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai

    You are right. For your kind of lighting situation, getting the right exposure is the challenge. So yes, fussing with metering - manual if necessary. But unless it gets really dark, I still think AF area will do the job.
    The foreground less than a meter from the camera. Gnd and nd filters are used to extend the exposure to smooth out the waves. And the lighting is very dark.

    Would love your explanation how AF area can do the job, especially when there is not even enough light to get an AF lock.... And all this while get everything into focus, from foreground to infinity.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 3rd May 2012 at 11:16 AM.

  6. #26
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Default Re: Combo of Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    The foreground less than a meter from the camera. Gnd and nd filters are used to extend the exposure to smooth out the waves. And the lighting is very dark.

    Would love your explanation how AF area can do the job, especially when there is not even enough light to get an AF lock.... And all this while get everything into focus, from foreground to infinity.
    Not enough light of course bo bian got to guess. My original statement was conditioned on "in good light". In good light, even if you use filters, what I do is get a focus lock, then switch to MF - and don't touch the focusing, then slap on the filters.

  7. #27
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai

    Not enough light of course bo bian got to guess. My original statement was conditioned on "in good light". In good light, even if you use filters, what I do is get a focus lock, then switch to MF - and don't touch the focusing, then slap on the filters.
    I think it is best you read my posts clearly if you haven't already done so...

    Also, you have yet to explain how af area mode can take care of getting close foreground elements and distant elements into focus at the same time.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 3rd May 2012 at 11:31 AM.

  8. #28
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Default Re: Combo of Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I think it is best you read my posts clearly if you haven't already done so...

    Also, you have yet to explain how af area mode can take care of getting close foreground elements and distant elements into focus at the same time.
    Don't know what we are arguing about also... I happen to agree with you on the dynamic lighting situation...

    Anyway, here's a shot of Bedok Reservoir at night with my Canon S100. Manual exposure, ISO-80, f4, 15sec. Otherwise, AF got a lock on with no issue. Zero PP, straight from cam.

  9. #29
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Default Re: Combo of Lens

    Oh but here is a serious question on hyperfocusing that I have no yet solved thus far...

    I using a lens that do not have focus distance indication. My hyperfocus distance calculator says "hyperfocus distance is X" but at around that distance either (a) nothing (eg. I overlooking a cliff) or (b) too dark to get a AF lock. Then how har?

  10. #30
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Default Re: Combo of Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    Oh but here is a serious question on hyperfocusing that I have no yet solved thus far...

    I using a lens that do not have focus distance indication. My hyperfocus distance calculator says "hyperfocus distance is X" but at around that distance either (a) nothing (eg. I overlooking a cliff) or (b) too dark to get a AF lock. Then how har?
    OK, for (a) I will answer my own question - turn around and focus on something behind you But (b) remains an issue.

  11. #31
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai
    Oh but here is a serious question on hyperfocusing that I have no yet solved thus far...

    I using a lens that do not have focus distance indication. My hyperfocus distance calculator says "hyperfocus distance is X" but at around that distance either (a) nothing (eg. I overlooking a cliff) or (b) too dark to get a AF lock. Then how har?
    Use a torch on a something at the esrimated distance. Even your hand will work.

  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Jurong
    Posts
    524

    Default Re: Combo of Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    OK, for (a) I will answer my own question - turn around and focus on something behind you But (b) remains an issue.
    Yes! that's what I did, sometimes...!

    IMHO, in many situation, the value of manual focussing has been over inflated! Of course, if ones enjoy the figuring of the focusing, yes... it is part of the joy...

  13. #33
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai

    Don't know what we are arguing about also... I happen to agree with you on the dynamic lighting situation...

    Anyway, here's a shot of Bedok Reservoir at night with my Canon S100. Manual exposure, ISO-80, f4, 15sec. Otherwise, AF got a lock on with no issue. Zero PP, straight from cam.
    I don't see a foreground. And lights give enough contrast for a focus lock. And for compact, sensor is so small that dof is very deep.

    Try shooting like the shots i posted using af.

  14. #34
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swhyge

    Yes! that's what I did, sometimes...!

    IMHO, in many situation, the value of manual focussing has been over inflated! Of course, if ones enjoy the figuring of the focusing, yes... it is part of the joy...
    It is nothing about inflated or not. In many landscape conditions, af is just impossible.

  15. #35

    Default Re: Combo of Lens

    I guess foreground interest does affect choice of AF/MF. And landscape shooters generally like to have foreground interest which gives a sense of depth in the photo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •