Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Combo of Lens

Wow. Thanks alot for that info. I always thought the camera focus is faulty. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123
    For landscape photos, most of us use manual mode.. but focus on where?
    While some experts may frown on this but... I find that for distance landscape in good light, just auto everything (esp. AF area) and let the camera decide. 99.9% it will get it right. At most fix ISO to lowest and aperture to f8 or f11. No fussing around with hyper focal distance. I concern myself more with composition and getting the moment right (eg. The shadow cast by passing clouds etc).
    Last edited by UncleFai; 3rd May 2012 at 08:13 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Combo of Lens

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    While some experts may frown on this but... I find that for distance landscape in good light, just auto everything (esp. AF area) and let the camera decide. 99.9% it will get it right. At most fix ISO to lowest and aperture to f8 or f11. No fussing around with hyper focal distance. I concern myself more with composition and getting the moment right (eg. The shadow cast by passing clouds etc).
    While that works for some situations, it will not work in other situations, especially, when there is dynamic light involved, like sunrise, sunset, and when your composition starts to improve and you want to create some foreground interest.

99.9% of the time, Auto mode everything does not work for the shots I want to create. Examples of these kind of shots "auto everything" cannot handle attached below...

In the end, it all comes down to how far one wants to take photography. One can stay on "auto everything" and continue in the status quo and only shoot in good light at distant landscape... or one can choose to learn and push the boundaries and fully understand and enjoy the journey the hobby and craft of photography can bring, and start making good pictures.

BTW, TS... this pic is shot using the Tokina 11-16 you are considering... mounted on an older D300s.

Last edited by daredevil123; 3rd May 2012 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    While that works for some situations, it will not work in other situations, especially, when there is dynamic light involved, like sunrise, sunset, and when your composition starts to improve and you want to create some foreground interest.

99.9% of the time, Auto mode everything does not work for the shots I want to create. Examples of these kind of shots "auto everything" cannot handle attached below...
    You are right. For your kind of lighting situation, getting the right exposure is the challenge. So yes, fussing with metering - manual if necessary. But unless it gets really dark, I still think AF area will do the job.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai

You are right. For your kind of lighting situation, getting the right exposure is the challenge. So yes, fussing with metering - manual if necessary. But unless it gets really dark, I still think AF area will do the job.
    The foreground less than a meter from the camera. Gnd and nd filters are used to extend the exposure to smooth out the waves. And the lighting is very dark.

Would love your explanation how AF area can do the job, especially when there is not even enough light to get an AF lock.... And all this while get everything into focus, from foreground to infinity.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 3rd May 2012 at 11:16 AM.

The foreground less than a meter from the camera. Gnd and nd filters are used to extend the exposure to smooth out the waves. And the lighting is very dark.

Would love your explanation how AF area can do the job, especially when there is not even enough light to get an AF lock.... And all this while get everything into focus, from foreground to infinity.
    Not enough light of course bo bian got to guess. My original statement was conditioned on "in good light". In good light, even if you use filters, what I do is get a focus lock, then switch to MF - and don't touch the focusing, then slap on the filters.

Blog Entries

Not enough light of course bo bian got to guess. My original statement was conditioned on "in good light". In good light, even if you use filters, what I do is get a focus lock, then switch to MF - and don't touch the focusing, then slap on the filters.
    I think it is best you read my posts clearly if you haven't already done so...

Also, you have yet to explain how af area mode can take care of getting close foreground elements and distant elements into focus at the same time.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 3rd May 2012 at 11:31 AM.

I think it is best you read my posts clearly if you haven't already done so...

Also, you have yet to explain how af area mode can take care of getting close foreground elements and distant elements into focus at the same time.
    Don't know what we are arguing about also... I happen to agree with you on the dynamic lighting situation...

Anyway, here's a shot of Bedok Reservoir at night with my Canon S100. Manual exposure, ISO-80, f4, 15sec. Otherwise, AF got a lock on with no issue. Zero PP, straight from cam.

Oh but here is a serious question on hyperfocusing that I have no yet solved thus far...

I using a lens that do not have focus distance indication. My hyperfocus distance calculator says "hyperfocus distance is X" but at around that distance either (a) nothing (eg. I overlooking a cliff) or (b) too dark to get a AF lock. Then how har?

Oh but here is a serious question on hyperfocusing that I have no yet solved thus far...

I using a lens that do not have focus distance indication. My hyperfocus distance calculator says "hyperfocus distance is X" but at around that distance either (a) nothing (eg. I overlooking a cliff) or (b) too dark to get a AF lock. Then how har?
    OK, for (a) I will answer my own question - turn around and focus on something behind you But (b) remains an issue.

Blog Entries

Use a torch on a something at the esrimated distance. Even your hand will work.

OK, for (a) I will answer my own question - turn around and focus on something behind you But (b) remains an issue.
    Yes! that's what I did, sometimes...!

IMHO, in many situation, the value of manual focussing has been over inflated! Of course, if ones enjoy the figuring of the focusing, yes... it is part of the joy...

Blog Entries

Don't know what we are arguing about also... I happen to agree with you on the dynamic lighting situation...

Anyway, here's a shot of Bedok Reservoir at night with my Canon S100. Manual exposure, ISO-80, f4, 15sec. Otherwise, AF got a lock on with no issue. Zero PP, straight from cam.
    I don't see a foreground. And lights give enough contrast for a focus lock. And for compact, sensor is so small that dof is very deep.

Try shooting like the shots i posted using af.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swhyge

Yes! that's what I did, sometimes...!

IMHO, in many situation, the value of manual focussing has been over inflated! Of course, if ones enjoy the figuring of the focusing, yes... it is part of the joy...
    It is nothing about inflated or not. In many landscape conditions, af is just impossible.

I guess foreground interest does affect choice of AF/MF. And landscape shooters generally like to have foreground interest which gives a sense of depth in the photo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12