Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Experience at Cathay Photo

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    that is Mr. Toh senior. there are many young customers who does not know he is the boss. quite an unassuming character, outwardly speaking. operations of stores are handled by David Toh, his son. David was so young like 18 yo when i visited the then flagship store at Bras Basah Rd.
    Yes, Mr Toh(senior) is a very humble person, and David are very friendly too.

Maybe some sale persons’ face is more approachable, next time you try to let Christopher, Steven Quak or Florence serves you, as other CSers highly recommend them.

Hope this help.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Yes, Mr Toh(senior) is a very humble person, and David are very friendly too.

Maybe some sale persons’ face is more approachable, next time you try to let Christopher, Steven Quak or Florence serves you, as other CSers highly recommend them.

Hope this help.
    Hmm .... never got served by them.

Was served by Duncan. Anyone else got served by him?

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Actually I went CP so many times liao, each time get served by the same chap I still dunno his name. Maybe have to check da receipt for his name.

But first time quite funny, I was looking thru da camera bags, he din exactly come up to me to ask if he can help me. He juz stood a distance away, waiting. Initially he gives me the creeps, but den subsequently I go CP, I'll look for his face and ask him for stuff liao.
    Well,

There are two types of customer.

1) Customer who expect the saleman to approach them once they step into the shop.

2) Customer who don't want any saleman to stand near them (feel stress). Will call for them when needed help.

I belong to the 2nd type.

So some saleman will rather stand aside (not too close) to the customer and pay attention if the customer need any help.

Sometime it's hard to be a saleman too.

It's good to get their name, at least u make a new friend there.

Sometime when I am free, I did drop by there just to chit-chat without buying anything things and they don't mind too.
    寒冰不能斷流水 枯木亦會再逢春

i agree with this.

too attentive, get complaints abt hard sell, too lax, get complaints that he doesn't care.

so will try to toe the middle line. but just where is the middle line? what's acceptable differs from person to person.

and the proverbial goalposts gets shifted all the time by rising expectations of good service while expecting lower prices.

my girlfriend who's totally out of the photographic world went down to CP penisula to buy me a camera bag for my x'mas. She stood there for a long time din't know what to get. Then finally a nice guy came over to help her choose a bag. I think she took almost an hour there pondering over the size and practicality of the bag. :P

Thank you to whoever at CP who helped her!

There are nice and not-so-nice guys at CP. I got the taste of not-so-nice guys at CP previously and told myself never to go back again. Since there are still so nice guys there. Think maybe I will give them a chance again.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

i went to get my tripod at CP not too long ago.... was served by this man who was in his 50s or so..... thin man and very friendly... i went to check the receipt and saw his initials: CW... so i presume should be chris wong that some guys are talking about....

all i can say is his service is : AWESOME, FIRST CLASS !!!!!

i knew nuts about tripod, and was using the free tripod given with the nikon D70 i bought. Felt it was rather unstable and decided to go to CP to get....

i walked in and initially was served by this 40+ female sales... she also very friendly... but i think not much help cause technically not too familar or what....

then up came the nice elderly man... very nice... went on to show me the 2 tripods i aiming for..... even demonstrated how to use the tripod and how low it could go etc...

then i looked at others and he patiently explained the pros and cons of each tripod... light vs heavy, also taught me about the spirit level on tripod not too useful, should be on hotshoe, etc...

it was a very educational purchase i made from him.... taught me a lot of stuff....
    and all the time very friendly and patient....

this is what i call first class service....
    unfortunately, you dun get this everywhere in CP lo.... (about 2 weeks before buying my tripod, i was at the camera section wanting to buy a uv filter for my D70 kit lens, but the camera side not too friendly la.....)

anyway, it was one of the most pleasant purchase i made lo.... feel shiok and that the service was exceptionally good....

will defintely consider CP when i want to get a macro lens soon.....
    but it seems that sometimes their prices are a little on the high side compared to AP....
    but never really had excellent services from AP the few times i went down....

OT a bit here.... MS service also pretty ok.....
    Hope to learn from everyone here....

Well, i believe as long as you are friendly towards them, they'll be friendly towards you. Sometimes it could be miscommunication or wrong choice of words that is presented to the customer. At times, it just can't be helped.

have only been to the peninsula CP, and i must say that the service has been really good. i always go after work, so it's near closing time and very crowded, but the staff have been very patient and helpful, even though i only buy the cheap items. i really like how they don't turn up their noses even if someone is obviously a newbie, instead they ask if you already know how to use what you're buying, and teach you if you don't.

Ya, I also notice something unusual lately in CP pennisula begining last 2-3 months.

I usually buy my stuff from the same sale man for the last 15 years. Don't want to mentioned name. I also pay by net always.

I was quoted by my regular saleman the RRP for the SB600. He told me I could use Credit Card.

Then 2 days ago, I was quoted by the same saleman $650 for the SB800.
    Same thing, can used credit card. SB800 was only $620 from MS Color. So 5% for Credit card???

Think must try other saleman mentioned here liao.

I've bought from both CP Peninsula and Marina before. Overall, i felt that their services was very average. Nothing to rave about. On the other hand, i feel more 'serviced' at MS Color AMK.
    Yngwie J. Malmsteen - "...I've never considered myself a fast guitar player..."

Some of the staff at CP are just crap! Once I was looking for a P&S for my brother and this young guy was attending to me. He didn't know I'm a photographer and was telling me all kind of bull like "you'll need at least 5 million pixel to get good 8R photos, anything less than, max is 5R" What alot of crap!
    On the bright side, there're some very good staff there. Steven (Ah Joo) and Christopher from the tripot and lightings side. Steven ( there are two Steven in CP Peninsula ) and Florence from the camera side. These are the only people I'll look for when I'm in CP. I once went there to look for the omni bounce for my SB24 and it was out of stock. Florence said it'll be coming the next day and she'll reserve one for me. I forget about it as it was just something I just wanted to buy to try out. 2 mths later when I went to CP I remembered about it and ask Florence if they have it in stock. She went to a drawer and took out one and it have my name written on it. She have it reserved for me 2 mths ago. As for Steven, well if I need any info on camera, he's the guy to ask. In fact whenever my friends or clients want to buy any camera, I alwasy ask them to approch him for info first. All I need to do is give him a call. Even when I went to make enquires from him and than bought it somewhere else due to better price, he's alright with it and he'll still help me with the technical part of it though I did not buy form him.
    Now, that's what I call service.

Quote Originally Posted by icarus
    I've bought from both CP Peninsula and Marina before. Overall, i felt that their services was very average. Nothing to rave about. On the other hand, i feel more 'serviced' at MS Color AMK.
    MS colour is another good one to go to. I use to go to them when my studio was in Toa Payoh. Most of the time their price is lower then CP. If their price is higher than others, try talking to the boss or his wife, Mr & Mrs Loh. So far they have match the price for me whenever I ask.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkForce
    I think u are refering to K.Y.Wong from the camera side. He is a quite a nice and helpful guy. Another one I usually go to is Kelvin Pung (camera side).

There are some bad sheeps in CP but I am not going to name them.

If not for the good service by the K.Y.Wong and Kelvin , I might not have spend more than 20K in CP by now liao.

I always look for Kelvin too.

Quote Originally Posted by yqt
    Some of the staff at CP are just crap! Once I was looking for a P&S for my brother and this young guy was attending to me. He didn't know I'm a photographer and was telling me all kind of bull like "you'll need at least 5 million pixel to get good 8R photos, anything less than, max is 5R" What alot of crap!
    On the bright side, there're some very good staff there. Steven (Ah Joo) and Christopher from the tripot and lightings side. Steven ( there are two Steven in CP Peninsula ) and Florence from the camera side. These are the only people I'll look for when I'm in CP. I once went there to look for the omni bounce for my SB24 and it was out of stock. Florence said it'll be coming the next day and she'll reserve one for me. I forget about it as it was just something I just wanted to buy to try out. 2 mths later when I went to CP I remembered about it and ask Florence if they have it in stock. She went to a drawer and took out one and it have my name written on it. She have it reserved for me 2 mths ago. As for Steven, well if I need any info on camera, he's the guy to ask. In fact whenever my friends or clients want to buy any camera, I alwasy ask them to approch him for info first. All I need to do is give him a call. Even when I went to make enquires from him and than bought it somewhere else due to better price, he's alright with it and he'll still help me with the technical part of it though I did not buy form him.
    Oh Yes this Steven is really helpful and nice guy too.

MS colour is another good one to go to. I use to go to them when my studio was in Toa Payoh. Most of the time their price is lower then CP. If their price is higher than others, try talking to the boss or his wife, Mr & Mrs Loh. So far they have match the price for me whenever I ask.
    Yes agree with yqt. Look for Mr & Mrs Loh who you can bargain more!

..........On the bright side, there're some very good staff there. Steven (Ah Joo) and Christopher from the tripot and lightings side. Steven ( there are two Steven in CP Peninsula ) and Florence from the camera side. These are the only people I'll look for when I'm in CP..........
    Steven (Ah Joo) = Steven Quak

Steven ( there are two Steven in CP Peninsula ) and Florence from the camera side. This Steven is Steven Ng

Compare the size of the surname and the body you will not get mix up liao.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Steven (Ah Joo) = Steven Quak

Steven ( there are two Steven in CP Peninsula ) and Florence from the camera side. This Steven is Steven Ng

Compare the size of the surname and the body you will not get mix up liao.
    Catchlights: I'm giving you 24hrs to buy all the things you need from CP before I print out your above quote and show it to Ah Joo.

Maybe new staff?

Catchlights: I'm giving you 24hrs to buy all the things you need from CP before I print out your above quote and show it to Ah Joo.
    Aiyo, I’m very scare, I’m very scare leh!

Wow,

If the boss read this thread, those CP staff being mention here might get a salary increament soon
    寒冰不能斷流水 枯木亦會再逢春

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast