Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Ang Mohs' good!

Lightbulb 'Ang Mohs' good?

read in Streats today that Singapore Tourists Bureau had commissioned few 'ang mohs' to shoot Singapore few months back. they are Sisse Brimberg, Steve McCurry and Michael Yamashita.

'ang mohs' good?
    Last edited by reachme2003; 29th December 2004 at 04:18 PM. Reason: to avoid misunderstanding

If STB had commissioned the Japanese or mainland Chinese photographers to shoot, would you make the same statement?

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    If STB had commissioned the Japanese or mainland Chinese photographers to shoot, would you make the same statement?
    probably he will say ...... Nippons' good or Chinks' best ..... juz jokin leh...
    anyway let admit that these selected ang mohs are really good .... let wait and see their works.... fresh perspectives
    always the Light, .... always.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    to avoid misunderstanding, i do not have the 'ang mohs good' mentality. thus, amended my original post.

To have them is a blast... wonder what will they capture? Refreshing shots of streetlife and landscape?

Might be an ignorant question, but we have so many pro photogs in sg.....why must go all the way to get ang moh to shooot singapore?
    I lup SG, but SG don't love me...

Blog Entries

Maybe they will be able to "see" what their kind want to see, our local eyes are jaded already. Of course it would be best if the ang mo photogs have a local guide.

Come to think of it the they should have held a competition with a theme and then they will see what the local photogs can do.

So not only ang mo boleh, local also boleh!

Steve Mc Curry, he's crap man. Only uses a Sony 828, maybe one of us can loan him a better camera.

/I'm only joking.. dont ban me. (In case MOD is a Steve McCurry fan)

Not a pro or anything like it, but this is just my thought...

Some ang mohs maybe better because of the artistic exposure they can get from their home country. Not to say our local pros are not good though as I think it's not so much the colour of their skin but the experience they have.

Apparently, Singaporean architects from foreign countries are more sort after than local grads. (Don't mean to offend anyone though; just something my architect friend told me.)

Chinese restaurant chefs from Hong Kong (all around the world), Indian nationals in many IT departments in Singapore etc.. They are good because of the environment (or exposure) they grew up (or trained) in.

Just my thought.

I think there's always issues beyond the photos, by getting these guys, whatever results from them will ride on their own reputation and popularity, so in a sense they will be to Singapore what Jeannette Aw is to Lee Hwa.

eg. in the future, photos by them will be hungrily/readily eaten up by the west, plus a few quotes from them like "singapore's wonderfully rich in diversity, etc etc...." and hordes of tourists will follow.

I think we shouldn't be so narrow minded on the choice of photogs.

I think those three deserve their reputation. What STB should have done is to have at least one local professional thown into the mix.
    Last edited by Ben1223; 29th December 2004 at 11:22 PM.

By commissioning outsider to shoot Singapore, in my opinion, they are trying to show & tell us that all Singaporean photogs are not up to their standards. Only outsiders are good.

Oversea's moon is always rounder? Ang moh goods are more marketable??? Sadly this perception is deeply rooted in our country...and it can't be changed over the night Even the STB wants to take the safer path

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna
    Oversea's moon is always rounder? Ang moh goods are more marketable??? Sadly this perception is deeply rooted in our country...and it can't be changed over the night Even the STB wants to take the safer path
    Irony, irony, irony...... even you are taking the safer path with a foreign avartar.....
    always the Light, .... always.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben1223
    I think those three deserve their reputation. What STB should have done is to have at lease one local professional thown into the mix.
    Agree...they should pipe their work and let us do a blind fold vote...see who got better skill

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised
    Irony, irony, irony...... even you are taking the safer path with a foreign avartar.....
    Haha...this one no choice...U don't want me to put Ahmad Latif do you?

Hey, these are really famous Nat Geo Photographers! Their work really impresses me! Doesn't matter what they use, they are really captures the essence of all the locals in the portraits they did all over the world.

You have to give them credits.

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    read in Streats today that Singapore Tourists Bureau had commissioned few 'ang mohs' to shoot Singapore few months back. they are Sisse Brimberg, Steve McCurry and Michael Yamashita.

'ang mohs' good?
    Michael Yamashita is asian leh. He once stayed in Sg for a few years. He ain't an Ang Moh. He did the documentry on 'Marco Polo'.

Most of the 911 pics you see is by Steve McCurry. The documentry 'Search for the afgan girl' and '911' are also by him.

All are on NGC.
    Last edited by afbug; 30th December 2004 at 12:21 AM.

would love to see the foreigners' works on singapore.

I read the Streats article. It also said the works are going to be shown in a website www.ngcasia.com next month if I'm not wrong.

But there's something not quite right about the whole thing. It's not because ang mohs were commissioned. It's like paying NGC to make a feature about you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast