Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The Increasing Wealth of CSers

Quote Originally Posted by Barret
    The question is why this is happening and now what is happening,
    we all know what is happening, the market is booming, and nuts are spending like theres no tommorrow.. why

no pun intended
    Guess we need the spenders to provide the answers. None of them seem to want to offer though.

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    Guess we need the spenders to provide the answers. None of them seem to want to offer though.
    Our first contestant

Szekiat, please provide insights on justification to your high spending.... especially your 400!

i know i can't justify my 500mm. so well i bought out of impluse...... so there we have it.
    ---
    Gather all high spenders!
    Whats your story behind your large buys! maybe you can give us some insights ! care to share?

yes.....*walks up to take the oath*
    I will freely admit that i've spent a lot on eqpt. 400mm f2.8? well cos there ain't another 400mm f2.8 that ain't L . I do a lot of sports photography (now for my uni) and a lot of the games are played in available darkness, ie ISO1600 f2.8, 1/350. If i were using anything else, i wouldn't be able to get the shots i need. Buy what you need. Thats what i usually do. My only toy to date will be my xpan. No idea why i bought it. that said, i love it.

woo hoo! wel but can you afford it does it make you one of those Rich CSers which we are talking about?

I bought my mamiya 500mm to shoot with you, now i hardly do nature, to much to do in school too! ... truthfully the most redundent piece of equipment is my EOS 300 i dont use it anymore... the contax rocks btw...

So yeah i did buy out of impluse!
    and i am one of those rich CSers which cannoy justify equipment!
    I am sorry!

any more confessions?

Quote Originally Posted by Jed
    Be thankful. You have no idea about cloudy skies and how blessed you are where you are.
    actually i do.... spent 6 years living in London in the late 80's-early 90's. wasn't into photography then though.

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    i think cos "jack" never share with xxxboy the char kway teow. dare to finish by himself and take photos of the plate with leica. so xxxboy buay song lor
    oh....for a moment there i thot it was leica-envy.

To me it's more like increasing propensity to spend ...

Increased prosperiety?
    really? Damn Univeristy fees draining all my cash!

Would photography be a passing phase? or will it stay like fashion?

Be thankful. You have no idea about cloudy skies and how blessed you are where you are.
    Please check your PM box for our thank-you notes.

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    actually i do.... spent 6 years living in London in the late 80's-early 90's. wasn't into photography then though.
    Err yeah but I wasn't responding to you in the first place!

SS, not really SAD per se. The hours of daylight I can live with, it's just the fact that you take blue skies for granted until you come here. I spent six days on the continent in two spells in November. Every single day was clear blue sky. Here ooh I'm lucky if I get that in, maybe three months?

Kiat, you should come up to visit me instead. I have to be where I am, whereas if you're on holiday, it's much easier for you. And there's plenty to drive around and shoot here. Well, ish. Heck I'm sure I could wriggle into some game or other up here too. Would've been handy tonight actually, we could've done with two at Newcastle v Arsenal. Then again, given how much of a non-entity the game was, maybe not...

Same advise buy the best that you can afford (without eating roti for the rest of your life), get the most out of your equipment. Once in a while you may buy without justification. than rationalised after that.
    Most important of all get satisfaction out of what you have.

Well it does mean that you have more wealth but again maybe you are also growing older and had accumulated more.

BTW nothing wrong taking photos of Char Kway Teow with a Leica. Ever see people take ice cream with a Hesselblad ? (No joke).

Err yeah but I wasn't responding to you in the first place!

SS, not really SAD per se. The hours of daylight I can live with, it's just the fact that you take blue skies for granted until you come here. I spent six days on the continent in two spells in November. Every single day was clear blue sky. Here ooh I'm lucky if I get that in, maybe three months?

Kiat, you should come up to visit me instead. I have to be where I am, whereas if you're on holiday, it's much easier for you. And there's plenty to drive around and shoot here. Well, ish. Heck I'm sure I could wriggle into some game or other up here too. Would've been handy tonight actually, we could've done with two at Newcastle v Arsenal. Then again, given how much of a non-entity the game was, maybe not...
    ahh.....my mistake...

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    wow.....xxxboy, what has "jack" done to offend u? so much so that you tekan him in multiple threads?
    Maybe Jack Jillted him...

Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter
    Maybe Jack Jillted him...
    over a plate of char kway teow....

So what are we missing here..

why are we discussing about people having better equipment in CS talk means that CSers are generally richer? more posting of higher end eqpt in B&S = richer community

It's the same post as wider freeway narrower viewpoint. What are we missing here? We are all so led on by the topic we forgot to look at it from another viewpoint.

Won't you agree CS membership has increased? Increase probably from word of mouth advert this is a good place to learn. More people in, more tendency to have a group of richer ppl.

Internet take-up rate has increased over the years. Thus more ppl can access internet and come to CS.

There are also the group of ppl to use CS just to sell their eqpt. They know there are more PROs in here who would appreciate their higher end eqpt better than eBay ppl.

I don't receive snail mails from my pals overseas anymore.. does that mean they care less for friends here now? NO! they do email now.
    to quote with a "LAST TIME" story..
    "LAST TIME, using internet to send email is for the better off. now, everyone seem to have interenet."

Are they all getting richer? Comparatively.. the prices of equipment have not dropped much. but the technology tagged to the price has improved leaps and bound. My fuji prosumer used to cost like $1300 back then for a 2mpix. With the same amount of money I can just get a 8mp sony F828 now. (I din't buy my fuiji new, so I'm not rich to fork out $1.3K that time) $699 for a 2mp P&S with no maunual func. Same $699 for a 5mp canon A95.

Also have you tot about the time when digicams just launched. Everyone dreams to have one. So they save and save and save.. along the way, technology improves and they get enticed to higher level equipment. So when the saving is done, just BUY!

There are so many perspectives to this topic. Dun just look at CSers grown richer, but the change in culture to use internet as a medium to B&S as well as to learn how to use their equipment better. Be it pro or P&S..

More examples can be seen in yahoo auctions. I don't see much ppl selling vehicles or 'professional' add-ons just about 2-3 years back.. yet now, there seems to be an increase of several folds. People getting richer? (can afford to sell motorcycles because more bike on sale) or just that internet is just a more convenient medium?

kettle calling the pot black?

who's got "wider freeway... narrower viewpoint"
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Cool

My sympathies goes out to Jack. He loves the finesse of a good camera. Same for car collectors in singapore.

Overheard from a coffeshop:

"You know! He owns a Ferrari! 2 months later he went to change to a Porsche! Keep saying how powerful the engine is. How nice the sound of the engine, then 1 month later change back to ferrari cos he think the engine sound nicer. BUT HE DOESN"T RACE! Buy Ferrari FOR WHAT?!"

Buy sports car/bike MUST race? Buy good and nice cam MUST produce good pics?

Got a 5 lane ECP with a Lengkok Bahru viewpoint?
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Yes, I agree that many Singaporean photographers are rich!
    One of my friend even bought a Ipod photo to view his pics!
    Since they have the $$$, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX Boy

wahhh, you really like to 'tekan' your friends for buying expensive things. maybe they never treat you to char kuay teow when you meet up?

Instead of buying a separate regular Ipod for music and a Nixvue Vista for picture viewing, Ipod photo + media adaptor appears to be a better option.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX Boy
    So how do you view char kway teow photos taken by a Leica on an ipod photo?

I thought Leica was a film camera, no? Is there a film version of the ipod photo I am unaware of?

OK, OK, OT. Sorry. I'll stop here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    Wait until you try "Roasted Chiken on ravioli of duck foie gras and truffle jus" sold on the five-foot-way of Penang Road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    address? i go penang 4 times a year
    Penang road is just before orchard road if you come from city hall direction

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast