Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The Increasing Wealth of CSers

Quote Originally Posted by student
    Hey?! I thought Par-Lor is famous only for the Hor-Fun? Not Char Kway Teow? Char Kway Teow is only famous in MINE hometown. Onn-Soon.
    Oh.. there are a few v.good ones around the old town area... not just hor fun... and er... Hor Fun?... really xien of it aledi leh...

Quote Originally Posted by student
    I have a ferrari, lambroghini, mercedes SL... in my office window ledge.....
    Try Driving them out. Bet you dun have the keys to the cars...

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    Wait until you try "Roasted Chiken on ravioli of duck foie gras and truffle jus" sold on the five-foot-way of Penang Road.

address? i go penang 4 times a year

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    The last Santosa photo outing I went to, some of the girls are having L lenses so big and long that their boyfriends have to hold them for the girls to shoot.
    Zhun bo....to quote from a famous sg forum...."NPNT".

Quote Originally Posted by xmen2003
    I would say yes. The photos coming from the professionals(paid) and the hobbyists are fast becoming indistinguishable here.
    really, i dun think so.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN
    Also, personally I felt that in Sg, most of the time I'm unable to use a lens using f8 onwards to get that "sweet spot" as mostly we have cloudy skies or shoot in places with many shadows.
    Be thankful. You have no idea about cloudy skies and how blessed you are where you are.

Quote Originally Posted by xmen2003
    I would say yes. The photos coming from the professionals(paid) and the hobbyists are fast becoming indistinguishable here.
    really? no prizes for guessing which group you belong to, then?

Quote Originally Posted by Jed
    Be thankful. You have no idea about cloudy skies and how blessed you are where you are.
    Suffering from a spot of SAD, Jed?

Fact is, over time clubsnappers have generally developed equipment envy. And seeing the results from such equipment doesnt help. Well we all know the symptoms, after walking by cathay or TCW, you would see somthing you like, something the pros use and you would want to get it, and get it now! manytimes without thinking twice. bought out of impluse!

Most of us do realize that normal lenses (non L and non AFS) can yeild similar results to that of the Ls and AFSs, but then again. Its all in the mind, when you buy better equipment you can take better pictures, this is partly true, cos you stop thinking about limitations when you have better equipment. Which is a rather negitive attitude. rather than thinking of limitations CSers should think of the potentional their equipment potentionally has.... ie using those limitations as advantages .

Hey kiat, remember our last exhibition. some stuff was actually taken using lionel's 18 - 55. and the fact that it made it to our list shows that its not all about equipment..

finally in my opinion its not about being rich or poor, its about CSers growing up. Then older generation (i belive) understand that equipment is not everthing and that sure you can have good equipment but if your shot sucks it will still suck. CSers need to grow up and spend their money wisely. sure they are richer now a days, but eventually we might all end up poor...

BTW, i have no AFS lenses nor L glass. nor do i have a pro level DSLR!
    in fact i am still stuck to film!

fact is i dont know why i even replied to this thread.

One reason you find it so maybe becos that CSers are more likely to flaunt it.

Last time you hardly see thread like "Wohhoo! i just bought a AFS VR ED f/2.8 zoom lens!!"

But that doesn't means people dun buy those lens.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by binbeto
    One reason you find it so maybe becos that CSers are more likely to flaunt it.

Last time you hardly see thread like "Wohhoo! i just bought a AFS VR ED f/2.8 zoom lens!!"

But that doesn't means people dun buy those lens.
    You dying to do it eh? Hehehe....

On the canon end, i can sympathise with some users as the 2.8 lenses are mainly L. And low light shooting is a requirement for them. But how many really need a 70-200f2.8VR over a 80-200 f2.8 AFD? Some will point out that it has VR. VR at focal lengths below 200mm? Honestly, go work on your hand holding. If you are talking about handholding at speeds of 1/30 or lower, chances are you will still get soft photos from subject blur. No idea, my 2c worth about VR.

Btw, jed, we've had 2 days of sunshine this week already over here. Its looking to be a good week. I hate cloudy days!!!!

Yeah man, hand holding!

1/8s, 150mm lens on my mamiya 645 with decently sharp pictures.

So now CSers need to hit the gyms!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Barret
    Fact is, over time clubsnappers have generally developed equipment envy. And seeing the results from such equipment doesnt help. Well we all know the symptoms, after walking by cathay or TCW, you would see somthing you like, something the pros use and you would want to get it, and get it now! manytimes without thinking twice. bought out of impluse!

Most of us do realize that normal lenses (non L and non AFS) can yeild similar results to that of the Ls and AFSs, but then again. Its all in the mind, when you buy better equipment you can take better pictures, this is partly true, cos you stop thinking about limitations when you have better equipment. Which is a rather negitive attitude. rather than thinking of limitations CSers should think of the potentional their equipment potentionally has.... ie using those limitations as advantages .

Hey kiat, remember our last exhibition. some stuff was actually taken using lionel's 18 - 55. and the fact that it made it to our list shows that its not all about equipment..

finally in my opinion its not about being rich or poor, its about CSers growing up. Then older generation (i belive) understand that equipment is not everthing and that sure you can have good equipment but if your shot sucks it will still suck. CSers need to grow up and spend their money wisely. sure they are richer now a days, but eventually we might all end up poor...

BTW, i have no AFS lenses nor L glass. nor do i have a pro level DSLR!
    in fact i am still stuck to film!

fact is i dont know why i even replied to this thread.
    the fact is you did replied and i am glad. i had been waiting to read something close to your frank viewpoints. no hurts.

Speak up oh nightcrawlers.....pls no more chay kway tiao. I don't have that here ok!!!!!! Besides being banal, it also makes me really hungry!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jed
    I think you are refering to shooting portriats and such.... apologies, I was refering to subjects like flying birds. (still cannot get those beautiful birds shots by those birders in the nature sub-forum)

Then again, as mentioned above. Cloudy skys does have advantage in shooting certain subjects... especially when I get the opportunity to shoot brides.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

i never knew you liked that lard noodles man... though you always ordered beef noodles or for that matter you dont eat much anyway....

Any way a follow up of my previous post, CSers are now spoiled for choice with the myriad of lenses and expensive equipment they can find, both second hand and brand new! The increase of freelance photographers in the market is also cause for the increase in expensive equipment, but that leads us back to being abused as cheap photographers. Being in the design industry i have seen going rates drop dramatically over the past 7 years and so has the going rates for photographers.

but never the less, many are emerging in false hopes that this 'hobby' might actually be a worthwhile investment. and they might recover their losses in the long run. Sadly this is hardly true.

False hopes drive the photography markets. And also the need to look professional. My contax G set and mamiya 645 would hardly be cost effective in the market these days. but it works well for my personal use. DSLRs are all about commerical appeal. and i reckon most CSers are trying to break into the market; starting with a modest D70 or 300D.

Look at it this way. People who engage in B&S are driving our country's economy. That's how I prefer to look at it to save myself some braincells trying to understand the appeal of bigger better equipment.

Incidently, I hope to help drive the economy tomorrow when I meet up with a fellow CSer to conclude a deal over his FE2. That would complement my FM2n and then I can enjoy shooting 2 different films concurrently.

VR? What is that? Manual focus lenses only please.

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    Look at it this way. People who engage in B&S are driving our country's economy. That's how I prefer to look at it to save myself some braincells trying to understand the appeal of bigger better equipment.

Incidently, I hope to help drive the economy tomorrow when I meet up with a fellow CSer to conclude a deal over his FE2. That would complement my FM2n and then I can enjoy shooting 2 different films concurrently.

VR? What is that? Manual focus lenses only please.
    VR.... Virtual Reality!
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

The question is why this is happening and now what is happening,
    we all know what is happening, the market is booming, and nuts are spending like theres no tommorrow.. why

no pun intended

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    wow.....xxxboy, what has "jack" done to offend u? so much so that you tekan him in multiple threads?
    i think cos "jack" never share with xxxboy the char kway teow. dare to finish by himself and take photos of the plate with leica. so xxxboy buay song lor

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast