Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Increasing Wealth of CSers

Jed: I purposely refrain from that topic as we seem to be a technocratic society here (for want of a better term). We all know that whether a photo is good or not is in the eyes of the beholder. I for one do not see anything special about steve mcurry's afghan girl, but thats me. I suppose comerically speaking, a good photo will be one that sells and one that appeals to the mass public. I realised that awhile back. When what i really liked to do didn't always coincide with what clients require. But hey, they're paying. The fact is, if darren or anyone can call back the old CS history, way before this new forum page, i think u will find theB&S threads to be very different. Monetary terms, these days, we trade thousand dollar items on an almost daily basis on CS. Back then, not as much. Heck, how many 6k cameras are there on B&S currently?
    Btw, Jed, if you ever do head down to london, give me a call or text k? Its getting really boring here.

Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    how many can drive that ferrari? i'm singaporean and i certainly cannot afford it yet?
    Well, you can say that you can own the ultimate lens like the 70-200VR for 3k or so, which is world class and the best money can buy in its class. That is for photography, but not so for cars, not for sound system etc.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

then again, you dun see many PAID photograghers using P&S for assisgnments around the world.
    There are professional photog that use a P&S for assignments. Like the late HCB that once use a black Contax T. Andy Warhol that use a Minox for his fashion shoot.
    I only know these two but I do believe that there are many such ppl around that uses a P&S for their assignments.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX Boy
    There are professional photog that use a P&S for assignments. Like the late HCB that once use a black Contax T. Andy Warhol that use a Minox for his fashion shoot.
    I only know these two but I do believe that there are many such ppl around that uses a P&S for their assignments.

i said not many, not any. Terry Richardson is also one, but not many.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX Boy
    Like the late HCB that once use a black Contax T. Andy Warhol that use a Minox for his fashion shoot.
    The thing is both Andy Warhol and HCB are so famous that they could get away with, well, using a P&S for an assignment. And then we start to get into the dangerous territory of discussing context and further philosophical debate. A Andy W or HCB mistake is still worth more than one of my masterpieces.

The original question of mine is pertinent but off topic. Perhaps I'll post a poll. Perhaps not cause goodness knows what that accomplishes. But certainly I do definitely, among other things, notice an increase in trend in the "how many people have _______" types of posts. Along with plenty of exceedingly well to do CSers. But then we've always had those.

i was just going to say the same. HCB or Mario Testino for that matter (he used a T3 for one of his books) can probably get away with it cos they are who they are. Companies pay to be assoicated with them as well. In that sense, they are their own brand name.

ultimately is how you market yourself, nothing to do with how great your images are... if you can't market, it'll not go far.

Okay honestly do you think you are richer now than 5 years B4?

Minus my photo equipments I have nothing.

If somone wants to buy my equipments at half price, I can eat for 2 weeks at a hawker's stall or a month and half on roti and water. Beyond that I have to seriously think of marriage (for survival).

Quote Originally Posted by RossChang
    NOTHIGN Beats the Char Kway Teow from my Hometown IPOH~!!

btw... s'porean ARE rich... just have a stroll along orchard and you at least spot a ferrari, a porsche, prehaps sometimes a Lambroghini, and I just saw a Bently Coupe yesterday... try bukit bintang and once in a blue moon you'll see one of these rare breed...
    Hey?! I thought Par-Lor is famous only for the Hor-Fun? Not Char Kway Teow? Char Kway Teow is only famous in MINE hometown. Onn-Soon.

I have a ferrari, lambroghini, mercedes SL... in my office window ledge.....

Quote Originally Posted by student
    Hey?! I thought Par-Lor is famous only for the Hor-Fun? Not Char Kway Teow? Char Kway Teow is only famous in MINE hometown. Onn-Soon.

I have a ferrari, lambroghini, mercedes SL... in my office window ledge.....

Penang Char Kway Teow is also great!

I guess the money is diverted from golfing, modifying cars or tuning hifi to buying L lens.
    (Expensive) Hobbies change....

Default OT: Char Kway Teow

Best Kway Teow: At Kuantan, a roadside stall near the stadium/sports structure. And Kuantan has these really nice blue skies.

:-)

Alvin

Quote Originally Posted by alvin
    Best Kway Teow: At Kuantan, a roadside stall near the stadium/sports structure. And Kuantan has these really nice blue skies.
    Alvin
    Blue skies + yellow filters and no clouds = grey sky!!

Haha student, no, when I go on trips I usually shoot in colour, and if I use film I will use negatives :-) And for that trip, I used a Sony F717. Lovely, blue skies, without polarizer! Very seldom seen in Singapore.

Alvin

Quote Originally Posted by szekiat
    Jed: I purposely refrain from that topic as we seem to be a technocratic society here (for want of a better term). We all know that whether a photo is good or not is in the eyes of the beholder. I for one do not see anything special about steve mcurry's afghan girl, but thats me. I suppose comerically speaking, a good photo will be one that sells and one that appeals to the mass public. I realised that awhile back. When what i really liked to do didn't always coincide with what clients require. But hey, they're paying. The fact is, if darren or anyone can call back the old CS history, way before this new forum page, i think u will find theB&S threads to be very different. Monetary terms, these days, we trade thousand dollar items on an almost daily basis on CS. Back then, not as much. Heck, how many 6k cameras are there on B&S currently?
    I don't think that increament in the value of items transacted here is relative to the increment in wealth of the forummers here.

But in general, since the availability of digital photography which enables users to view 100% pixel sized photographs... the "standards" are naturally pushed up as we are no longer satisfied with the sharpness of a 4R or 5R pics.

Also, personally I felt that in Sg, most of the time I'm unable to use a lens using f8 onwards to get that "sweet spot" as mostly we have cloudy skies or shoot in places with many shadows. This prompted me to get a 2.8 zoom.

That being said... I'm poorer instead
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by alvin
    Haha student, no, when I go on trips I usually shoot in colour, and if I use film I will use negatives :-) And for that trip, I used a Sony F717. Lovely, blue skies, without polarizer! Very seldom seen in Singapore.

Alvin
    Yep!

I was in Greece. One of the "bluest" skies I have seen ( but then Provence, Canada..) No need polarizer!

I had a scene which I actually took in color and B&W. There were no clouds. The sky was just one grey blob! Somethings are just better in color!

Quote Originally Posted by szekiat
    Is not the general wealth of CSers increasing?
    Reading the posts here, could be draw the conclusion that we are camera asset rich but impovished in visual content?

Maybe it's a guy thing (not being sexist here but...)

Guys seems to like capital intensive, skill intensive, equipment intensive sports/hobbies.

more challenging? dumb? maybe both!

golf, scuba, photography, cars, hi-fi, computers, etc, etc

Penang Char Kway Teow is also great!
    Wait until you try "Roasted Chiken on ravioli of duck foie gras and truffle jus" sold on the five-foot-way of Penang Road.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpipefish
    Maybe it's a guy thing (not being sexist here but...)

Guys seems to like capital intensive, skill intensive, equipment intensive sports/hobbies.

more challenging? dumb? maybe both!

golf, scuba, photography, cars, hi-fi, computers, etc, etc
    The last Santosa photo outing I went to, some of the girls are having L lenses so big and long that their boyfriends have to hold them for the girls to shoot.
    Last edited by Sion; 29th December 2004 at 02:20 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast