Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast

Thread: any CS'ers into planted aquariums, shrimps, fish or aquatic plants ?

Blog Entries

Default re: any CS'ers into planted aquariums, shrimps, fish or aquatic plants ?

Quote Originally Posted by snowc View Post
    Is there sunlight shining directly on the tank? Natural sunlight is not good for fish tank as it promote algae growth.
    I place mine in a position where it gets low-in-the-sky sunlight late in afternoon for about 1-2hrs a day with just one betta in one tank

The java moss from below and duckweed + salvinia from above cleans the water real good .... just little patches of brown algae which is easy enouggh to sponge off .... might throw in a couple of red shrimps to get them to start grazing

One question... any recommendations on a pelco species or that STAYS small even as an adult ?
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Default re: any CS'ers into planted aquariums, shrimps, fish or aquatic plants ?

This thread needs photos!
    I decommed my tank last year when I moved
    Unsuccessful planted, my magnum pl lights couldn't provide enough intensity, 4 x 2 x 2.5
    All that ADA and dennerle substrate, wasted... then again I think my cichlids had a fun time messing with them after, everyday renovation bleah
    -------------------------------
    Endure. In enduring grow strong.

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    I place mine in a position where it gets low-in-the-sky sunlight late in afternoon for about 1-2hrs a day with just one betta in one tank

The java moss from below and duckweed + salvinia from above cleans the water real good .... just little patches of brown algae which is easy enouggh to sponge off .... might throw in a couple of red shrimps to get them to start grazing

One question... any recommendations on a pelco species or that STAYS small even as an adult ?
    I don't think that there's any pleco that stay small enough for your tank so your best bet is shrimps. Shrimps and moss work very well. I always enjoy watching my shrimps cleaning my mini moss diligently
    Avoid getting those otos as without a substainable algae diet, they will starve.

Me! Here's some shots of my shrimps

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/macro...ps-snails.html

think plecos v destructive for planted..

nice macro shots!

quick shot of mine to share, haven't cleaned and trimmed for sometime.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by benjaminong88 View Post
    think plecos v destructive for planted..

nice macro shots!

quick shot of mine to share, haven't cleaned and trimmed for sometime.

wowzz.... nice carpet ! whats the lighter green plants ? I think a little driftwood will give this tank alot more character

if you do give your plants a haircut, throw some trimmings our way
    Last edited by ed9119; 25th April 2012 at 01:15 PM.
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by benjaminong88 View Post

So this won't qualify as Ed's "electric-free self-recycling mini eco-system setup" as it has got a very efficient electric filter?

Is filter necessary for a aquatic plant tank?

Light colour one is riccia. Ahha that one was some remnants from stuck in the taiwan moss then it bloomed. lol the right side was a huge drift wood but got covered up totally.

yep its a "high tech" tank type with chiller, co2, high lighting and external filter. but i run it on timer so no need to touch after setup. no necessary for big filter to keep simple plants and moss. Most impt to me is cold water seen v nice pico tanks around in office with no filter because air con is cold!
    Last edited by benjaminong88; 25th April 2012 at 02:31 PM.

mine tank not taken good care of for now.... too busy...
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Your aquariums look awesome! Mine looks pathetic lol.

Quote Originally Posted by fotoudavid View Post
    mine tank not taken good care of for now.... too busy...
    Me too.....had only been doing basic water changes. Now my tank look messy because of the overgrown moss and frogbits....must find some time to do trimming hehe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knoxknocks View Post
    Your aquariums look awesome! Mine looks pathetic lol.

sweeee.... looks very east-meets-west style ... whats the substrate ? Looks so clean like roasted coffee beans
    Walkeast

Blog Entries

i dream of someday being able to do an aquarium like you guys' or like below

Last edited by ed9119; 25th April 2012 at 10:05 PM.
    Walkeast

Hehe.....maybe can create a photo gallery here for aquascape and aquatic creatures?

Sorry for this really newbie question - but how do you plant turf? What type of plants are those?

sweeee.... looks very east-meets-west style ... whats the substrate ? Looks so clean like roasted coffee beans
    I can't remember the brand - it's some Japanese one that I got from the store. Gotta go and check LOL

Quote Originally Posted by knoxknocks View Post
    Sorry for this really newbie question - but how do you plant turf? What type of plants are those?
    Er.....dunno what u meant by turf? U mean a carpet effect? There are several plants you can use like moss, riccia and hairgrass. For moss and riccia, you will need to tie them to some object like wire mesh.

i dream of someday being able to do an aquarium like you guys' or like below

Good. You plant. Uncle come to your house to watch.

Does marimo count?
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Quote Originally Posted by bonrya View Post
    Does marimo count?
    We already carry two marimo moss balls.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast