Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 69101112 LastLast

Thread: any CS'ers into planted aquariums, shrimps, fish or aquatic plants ?

Default Re: any CS'ers into planted aquariums, shrimps, fish or aquatic plants ?

My Molly baby mini plant tank.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Default Re: any CS'ers into planted aquariums, shrimps, fish or aquatic plants ?

The Mollies are so cute!! Some updates on my tank.. 3 of my CRS are berried. 2 A-grades and 1 SS grade. 1 of my fire red that was berried dropped her eggs 2 days later. Not sure why. I found 5 cherry shrimplets when i fed them this morning. Somehow, more and more shrimplets are emerging.
    Kodak Easyshare C875
    flickr

Is it a good idea to feed live tubifex to a planted aquarium. I am not asking about the parasite and disease that might come with tubifex but more on the impact on the ecosystem since they can produce quickly and probably also die and rot in the substrate. Are they like earthworms in that they will provide fertilizers to the plants, aerate the roots by loosening the substrate, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    Is it a good idea to feed live tubifex to a planted aquarium. I am not asking about the parasite and disease that might come with tubifex but more on the impact on the ecosystem since they can produce quickly and probably also die and rot in the substrate. Are they like earthworms in that they will provide fertilizers to the plants, aerate the roots by loosening the substrate, etc?
    Nice to see so many aquarists here.

It's OK to feed Tubifex worms if it's administered properly. You need to only feed enough so that all the worms are eaten before it drops to the substrate. However, do take note that when you feed these type of food, the water quality will need to be monitored. The N content will shoot up due to the fish waste.

When feeding tubifex worms, you have to wash it properly. I used to put them through a bit of Potassium Permanganate bath before rinsing them out for feeding. Tubifex worms does not work the substrate. They need air and will eventually drown when left in the substrate. Similar to earthworms. Do take note.

I use to keep loads of fishes and also planted tanks. Regrettably, my work takes me away from Singapore and I am not in a position to keep any aquariums now. So I had to give up everything. But one day, I will return.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    Nice to see so many aquarists here.

It's OK to feed Tubifex worms if it's administered properly. You need to only feed enough so that all the worms are eaten before it drops to the substrate. However, do take note that when you feed these type of food, the water quality will need to be monitored. The N content will shoot up due to the fish waste.
    Thanks for the reply. I have went ahead and regretted with the move. There is little control over the tubifex once they are introduced into the tank. Some escape into the substrates. There is a layer of "dust" like deposit on top of the substrate where the tubifex wormed. Unless you want to mess up your substrate, it is better not to feed live tubifex.

Showing my newly acquired betta. This is a beauty. I named her Nairobi.

Blog Entries

I've moved on to a guppy pond ..... my god, these male guppys are horni !!
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Just asking if any bros using blackwater? I had a bottle of TetraAqua Blackwater to give away as found that blackwater don't work well with my floating plants. Anyone interested can pm me.
    Last edited by snowc; 27th March 2013 at 10:20 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post

Cheers,
    I tried with my batch of riccia but just could not get it to bubble like this ... this is awesome !
    Walkeast

Hi all, anyone went to aquarama?

below is the links to the pictures i took, a lot of inspiring aquascapes...credit to respective creator (aquarama did not label the creators, not sure why; but nice scapes to share)

http://adf.ly/4253880/theplantedtankblog
    Last edited by wongce; 2nd June 2013 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wongce View Post
    Hi all, anyone went to aquarama?

below is the links to the pictures i took, a lot of inspiring aquascapes...credit to respective creator (aquarama did not label the creators, not sure why; but nice scapes to share)

My Journey Of Keeping Planted Tanks: Aquarama 2013
    Thanks for sharing bro....almost forgot about this event. Will be going tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by snowc View Post
    Thanks for sharing bro....almost forgot about this event. Will be going tomorrow
    You are welcome, but i think you better go today(sunday) as its the last day of the event

Hi all

I'm planning to pick up the hobby again and just searched through my store room for my Hydor Prime 20 canister filter. I found it and power it up but it's making lots of rattling noises. Is it due the impeller (hope it got the part name right) ? Can it be fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by cichlid View Post
    Hi all

I'm planning to pick up the hobby again and just searched through my store room for my Hydor Prime 20 canister filter. I found it and power it up but it's making lots of rattling noises. Is it due the impeller (hope it got the part name right) ? Can it be fixed?

most of the canisters need water to work... did you fill up with water when you test? try testing with pail with water, there may not be any problem in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by cichlid View Post
    Hi all

Your impeller looked ok to me. What I suspect is it might be due to air lock in the canister filter. You can try fill up your filter with water and prime it again.

Blog Entries

... and maybe dried up gunk in there that needs to be cleaned out
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by wongce View Post
    most of the canisters need water to work... did you fill up with water when you test? try testing with pail with water, there may not be any problem in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowc View Post
    Your impeller looked ok to me. What I suspect is it might be due to air lock in the canister filter. You can try fill up your filter with water and prime it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    ... and maybe dried up gunk in there that needs to be cleaned out

Thanks for replying guys, i didn't fill it up with water to test, will do a proper one.

Any of you guys entered ADA contest?

if you missed ADA contest, you can try out AGA contest, AGA contest deadline is in September...

All the best to all contestants.....

Yo.... I also into aquarium. Currently got 2 tanks. One is for my dwarf corys with some shrimps and the other one is a sulawesi shrimp tank.

some of my sulawesi shrimp photos. Taking macro is not easy. I still prefer birding... lol

Disaster struck my aquarium. After fogging of my home for mozzies, all my precious fishes died overnight. I am presently in a state of delirium.

Just a note to fellow aquarist to completely cover your tank with non-permeable sheets should you be fogging your home.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 69101112 LastLast