Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 589101112 LastLast

Thread: any CS'ers into planted aquariums, shrimps, fish or aquatic plants ?

sure, we can organise a CS aquarama. I think it is in June 2013.

Angel fish are like pointed arrows. I think they are not considered auspicious. Discus are favoured as they look like gold coins. haha. I am also not fengshui master.

Default Re: any CS'ers into planted aquariums, shrimps, fish or aquatic plants ?

I've had CRS, cherry and fire reds before I gave up the hobby for a year. Just restarted a tank and am cycling it. =) Its a simple set up though.

Kodak Easyshare C875
    flickr

Default Re: any CS'ers into planted aquariums, shrimps, fish or aquatic plants ?

Quote Originally Posted by raptor1988 View Post
    I've had CRS, cherry and fire reds before I gave up the hobby for a year. Just restarted a tank and am cycling it. =) Its a simple set up though.
    haha! Bro, when you have a chiller I don't think u can call it a simple setup any more.

Blog Entries

care to share the sequence of your cycling exercise ?
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Sorry for not checking on the thread.. Was caught up with my project work

Quote Originally Posted by silencer13 View Post
    haha! Bro, when you have a chiller I don't think u can call it a simple setup any more.
    Well.. I was caught up with my friend's craze in shrimps last year and took over his set-up when he upgraded to a 4 ft tankset. This is a 4th hand chiller if i'm not wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    care to share the sequence of your cycling exercise ?
    Nothing special I guess. Some CR as the base layer, followed by Mosura Old Sea Mud Powder (forgot to dose BT-9) then the soil. This soil is Mosura Soil that I had bought earlier in the year and was unused. Because the tankset, chiller, canister were left unused for sometime, I cycled normal tap water through the entire setup after I had connected the pipes to make sure everything was working. Once everything was ok, I added Shizhen powder and BT-9 to start the process. The chiller was turned off after I took the photo.

Slightly after 1.5 weeks, I saw worms wriggling in the water. Using the worms as a guide, I bought some shrimps and added them into the tank. So far there has been 1 casualty (1 cherry from molting death).
    Last edited by raptor1988; 6th December 2012 at 03:47 PM. Reason: typos
    Kodak Easyshare C875
    flickr

where to get shrimp other than LFS? saw on the other forum, buy and sell of shrimp is banned

If you know a few of the more established guys, you can PM or SMS them directly. Most will deal if you have a small reputation there. Else, you can 'discretely' buy and sell in your adverts. Its quite amusing to see how some people do that.
    Kodak Easyshare C875
    flickr

My Tank fully cycled..

My CRS..

Feeding time!

Cherry Shrimplet! This little feller has been growing well.. He appeared in the pack of Cherrys that I bought from Y618.
    Kodak Easyshare C875
    flickr

Deregistered

my previous nano reef

Deregistered

close up on the clown fish in corals..

Deregistered

one of my planted nano tank. decommisioned.

Nice.. A Nano tank seems like a lot more work than a larger tank..
    Kodak Easyshare C875
    flickr

wao ... i didn't realise a planted tank community over here in CS. I used to have them too ... this one back in 2006. You can see that my photography skills back then were ...

Itching for a 1 feet cube after seeing all your photos!
    Last edited by hjbyeo; 12th December 2012 at 09:23 AM.

Deregistered

Nice.. A Nano tank seems like a lot more work than a larger tank..
    not really. At least less backache as compared to planting a bigger tank. LOL

Can anyone recommend another 60 cm LED lighting or a compact T5 fluorescent setup for plants. My BeanWorks LED does not have the intensity to reach the bottom of a 45cm deep tank. The plant growth are elongated. Also it has a row of actinic LED in the middle which I do not like. Thanks in advanced.
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 1st January 2013 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    Can anyone recommend another 60 cm LED lighting or a compact T5 fluorescent setup for plants. My BeanWorks LED does not have the intensity to reach the bottom of a 45cm deep tank. The plant growth are elongated. Also it has a row of actinic LED in the middle which I do not like. Thanks in advanced.
    Beamworks is considered one of the best brand around. But specifications differs,whats the wattage per led? My freind diyed using 3watts per led and has great success.

I have setup using 45cm tall tank using 4xt5ho, HC crawling...
    Some issues to note for getting foreground plants to crept:-
    Age of light tubes,light looses power after using for around 6-8 months
    Availability/concentration of CO2(more is better for flora but not for fauna)
    Distance of light to bottom of tank(you already know)
    Trimming(trim when it get tall,then it will learn to crept)
    Type of plants(did you get the correct plant? Some plants genus will get taller than its shorter cousins although look similar)

Quote Originally Posted by wongce View Post
    Beamworks is considered one of the best brand around. But specifications differs,whats the wattage per led? My freind diyed using 3watts per led and has great success.

I have setup using 45cm tall tank using 4xt5ho, HC crawling...
    Some issues to note for getting foreground plants to crept:-
    Age of light tubes,light looses power after using for around 6-8 months
    Availability/concentration of CO2(more is better for flora but not for fauna)
    Distance of light to bottom of tank(you already know)
    Trimming(trim when it get tall,then it will learn to crept)
    Type of plants(did you get the correct plant? Some plants genus will get taller than its shorter cousins although look similar)
    Mine looks like the below picture taken off Odyssea's website

The specs are as 9 watt, 400Lumens, 72 White LED, 6 Blue LED.

I have re-turfed HC twice and now testing with grosso. The grosso seems to be stretching themselves upwards, which is why I think my LED is not reaching the bottom.

I will try with the T5HO dual.

I am not a LED expert,but 9watts is a bit low...there is not much research being done on LED lights on planted tank yet.

However, my friend who did DIY told me he is using 10 numbers of 3watt LED for his 2 feet tank. So, if your total wattage is 9 watt, i think maybe it is underpowered? if not mistaken beamswork has 2 versions of LED lights... hmm I better don't poison you too much, later you changed lights and glosso still does not grow i will kena scold by you...lol

if possible, why don't you stick to the good-ol T5HO? cheap and good. LED is paying upfront and save later..but effectiveness unproven yet. There are some good reviews for simple planted tank with moss/crs tank though...

The aquarium shop push this LED to me n I bought it cos it is the cheapest. To be fair, BeamWorks do have 1W and 3W per LED. I think those are the ones that planters should buy. Mine is underpowered. I couldnt find a T5HO and settled for a T5 dual tubes with total output of 48W. It is nice and bright, in fact too glaring after having gotten used to the LED. Why didnt 3M or Phillips done a reading light type of aquarium lightings? I have, for the 3rd time, planted HC. Hope it will take root and bubble this time.

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    The aquarium shop push this LED to me n I bought it cos it is the cheapest. To be fair, BeamWorks do have 1W and 3W per LED. I think those are the ones that planters should buy. Mine is underpowered. I couldnt find a T5HO and settled for a T5 dual tubes with total output of 48W. It is nice and bright, in fact too glaring after having gotten used to the LED. Why didnt 3M or Phillips done a reading light type of aquarium lightings? I have, for the 3rd time, planted HC. Hope it will take root and bubble this time.
    Hi Manwearpants, good luck with HC, i am doing a Iwagumi style scape using DSM method with 4x24 watts t5ho, HC crawling an spreading sloowly... sigh, my Microswords are too big if not i will use them, a lot easier compared to HC..

b

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 589101112 LastLast