Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: List of Absentees from 10th Anniversary Talks

I have wanted to say a few words of appreciations to the organizers but I read this.

I have earlier planned a trip to Bali and would only be back on friday. That is why I only registered for the Sunday talk although I did love to attend more. It was a very hot Sunday but I have committed the appointment. I parked at Manulife building a walk towards SAM asking around for SAM@8Q

Because it is free, the more we need to act responsibly. Of course there will be occasions where we really cannot make it. Then the least we need to do is to apologize and provide a good reason.

We hope moving forward the community will work together to make everyone enjoy this friendship. Isn't that the main reasons why we become member of this club?

To the organizers, thank you again and well done.

Default Re: List of Absentees from 10th Anniversary Talks

I don't support this payment or deposit idea. Not because I don't want to pay for talks nor is it because I don't care about the hardships our mods face.

It's only because I believe we should be inclusive to all who have an interest in photography, and not because he or she has money to book a seat(s). Not everyone is using an expensive camera, nor is it even expected that someone who wants to attend a talk even have a photographic device in the first place (at least I don't). Photography is for people who has interest, are interested, and committed to this art form. It is not based on how much money you have for spending or what gear you have right now.

$5/$10/$60 might not be a lot of money for many of us, but if we're intent on promoting photography for all, then putting a price to share/gain knowledge is not a good message. Yes, I know it could be refundable, and even have a bunch of clauses written up to help the less financially-able, but I think that's just more work than required.

True that the current system we have some jokers who can't be bothered to inform or demand too much from our mods. But which system out there will not be abused.
    (Joke: If the talk is about Leica systems, should the seat booking fee be jacked up because the attendees obviously have deeper pockets?)

As with dealing with human nature, I think the best we can hope for is better communication and empathy for our fellow members and mods taking their time out for us. I think what the mods are doing now is okay, no good excuse then ban for rest of year. Since 1 joker has already dared voice out, the rest (of jokers) should know to keep in line now. Some reminders during future talk registrations should suffice.

Cheers~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo View Post
    $5/$10/$60 might not be a lot of money for many of us, but if we're intent on promoting photography for all, then putting a price to share/gain knowledge is not a good message. Yes, I know it could be refundable, and even have a bunch of clauses written up to help the less financially-able, but I think that's just more work than required.
    for me, having to answer that 33% of the full strength fly kite, is a lot more work than required...

because it spoils trust and working relationships with sponsors. sponsors are here to reach out to their target group. its not for free. they are trying to market to people.
    it is likely that on this basis, they are willing to come out xxx amount of money and support the talks etc. having no show means its not effective, which equates to lesser talks and sponsors for events in the future.

end of the day, even more trouble, more work to get sponsors. end up no one wanna do, no more free talks no more promoting photography.

i'll take the deposit anyday.

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    with dealing with human nature, I think the best we can hope for is better communication and empathy for our fellow members and mods taking their time out for us. I think what the mods are doing now is okay, no good excuse then ban for rest of year. Since 1 joker has already dared voice out, the rest (of jokers) should know to keep in line now. Some reminders during future talk registrations should suffice.

Cheers~
    The problem is the admins/mods cannot accept that they made mistake so they start to use "ban" on forumers to cover their **s.
    The admins/mods act like kings here. That is why people who fall under their "illogical guidelines" don't dare to voice out.

I hope those who like to point out their mistakes to the admins/mods can do so.
    This is a way of feedback and for further improvements to this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by shaoken View Post
    The problem is the admins/mods cannot accept that they made mistake so they start to use "ban" on forumers to cover their **s.
    The admins/mods act like kings here. That is why people who fall under their "illogical guidelines" don't dare to voice out.

i don't think the mods made a mistake at all. considering the amount of calls people would be making to the mods should their mobile numbers be plastered all over the forum, i don't think it's a great idea.

your accusation is really flawed... because they are the rulers here. rules exist for a reason, and if you don't want to follow the rules that ensures everyone behaves in a civil manner to one another, then you can go create your own forum, let it grow huge... and then tell your members it's a FREE FRAG and no rules exist!

watch yourself burn, bro.

Blog Entries

hello? it doesn't matter. and here is why.

1: if you cannot make it for the event and you know it before the event, you can notify before the event to free up seat (aka the long pm method). don't give excuses about not being able to find internet access.

2: if you urgently cannot make it for the event, even if you inform on the spot, seat also cannot be freed up already. hence you inform afterwards and remove yourself from awol list is fine.

3: 33% of the people didn't make it. you telling me everyone suddenly had funerals to attend to/child kenna hospital/car kenna crash? really?

if you can explain to me how putting a mod's number/opening the thread can allow the extra 33% of the people to be filled up on the day itself, let me know. i also want to learn how you chut this kind of pattern. very very impressive

in short, your suggestions are illogical and they make no sense. so don't go around finding excuses when there aren't any excuses for you to pick from...
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 25th April 2012 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    my guess is this matter is inconsequential to them as they can simply create another account to join future outings. If not by nric then i recommend registration by phone number. while not exactly foolproof, it can work since how often do people change phone numbers.
    nric better la...phone can change wat...eg... i just need to use someone else phone to register like family member's so i guess nric is a better one

In what way are the mods/admin wrong?

I believe anywhere u go any club u join, any event u participate they all have their set of rules and just follow their rules...every different clubs, entities or whatsoever have different rules...we want to join a club we follow their rules...we wanna participate in something we follow organiser's rules...if i can't accept a certain rule of any kind, i just dont get myself involve..

If i think that there's flaw in a set of rules, I try to highlight it out if it's accepted it's accepted if not, either i stick by the rules if it's within my tolerance limit otherwise i just say good luck...

I oso hv to agree with Allenleonhart...33% of absentees is really too much...it just shows the level of responsibilities/commitment those people have(of course I believe there are genuine cases out there)..

Furthermore, they didn't say it's an auto ban for absentees, I think they are kind enough to set Friday as the dateline for submission of explanation so I guess it's fair. If someone say he won't be able to login for the whole week due to whatever reason, it's also fine but if I'm an absentees from any event that I sign up I jolly well make sure I write to the organiser/s to apologise whether its before the event or after. At least you show people u are responsible and committed but to tell ppl there's no time to login after failing up to turn up for something he/she registered that's total BS.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kongfu View Post
    I oso hv to agree with Allenleonhart...33% of absentees is really too much...it just shows the level of responsibilities/commitment those people have(of course I believe there are genuine cases out there)..
    the 33% is just LTL one. i didnt go count the rest hahaha. so just an estimate. it shld be lesser for the rest of the talks.

Blog Entries

you still do not get it ..... you certifiable retard ....

WHICH part of "PM SEBASTIANSONG BY THIS FRIDAY" that escapes your understanding ?

NO CONTACT NUMBER - CHECK !
    THREAD IS CLOSED - DOUBLE CONFIRM !!!
    NO ACCESS TO WIFI, INTERNET - TRIPLE CHECK !!!
    AND ITS ALL FRICKING OK with us you RETARD

YOU OBVIOUSLY DO NOT WANT TO GIVE FEEDBACK! YOU JUST WANT TO INSIST its done YOUR WAY !

OH GUESS WHAT ??? WE CANNOT AFFORD A PHONE CARD!!! Like you say not everyone can have mobile access, WE ALSO say not all mods got MONEY FOR A TOP UP PHONE CARD leh !

bye bye and best wishes .... go somewhere where you are happier and less stressed ......... we less stressed too

deregistered
    Last edited by ed9119; 26th April 2012 at 09:54 AM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by Kongfu View Post
    nric better la...phone can change wat...eg... i just need to use someone else phone to register like family member's so i guess nric is a better one
    thing is there is only so many times can use other people phone number. NRIC might be too sensitive the info.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    the 33% is just LTL one. i didnt go count the rest hahaha. so just an estimate. it shld be lesser for the rest of the talks.
    sigh...as a newbie i so much so wanted this to be a weekday event so i could simple apply leave to attend...too bad they are weekends

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    thing is there is only so many times can use other people phone number. NRIC might be too sensitive the info.
    to me its how committed one is lor...for eg. we go CSC I believe they need some sort of identification before anything else is proceeded right, you go any telco you also need to produce your IC for identification so it depends on how one look at it.. for me I feel it's perfectly alright if I have to use my IC# for registering and producing IC for identification verification when attending but that's me...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    you still do not get it ..... you certifiable retard ....

deregistered[/SIZE]

relax relax...... hahhaa

The current system of "register to attend" has its strength and weaknesses. Usually the event is held many days/weeks ahead and most of us will not be 100% sure of our attendance. also, because of the limited seats availability,members tend to chop the registration quickly without much thought, resulting in much logistic and admin issues during and after the events. the more responsible members will usually not register himself till he is 100% sure of his attendance which is usually a day or two before the event, and most of the time "it's full house"! so you can imagine there would always be empty seats on the actual day of event.

my suggestion is that we should leave about 20% of the seats for any event to walk in members, on a first come first seat basis. this way some unregistered members who are keen on the event and who do not want to risk been banned, can just drop by on the actual date. if got seat, then stay, if no seat, then go elsewhere.

also, for those who registered, their seats will be released to the unregistered members, say 5 or 10 mins before the official start time. the registered members must still have to mark their attendance ( so as to not get marked by the mods) even if their seats are taken and they cannot enter. the main advantage of this is that it encourages early arrival and event can start on time.

as for people who registered and didn't turn up without a reasonable reason, I think it's fair for the hardworking mods to ban them. little doubt on that.

I do not think it is a good idea to charge or insist on a deposit for members wanting to attend a CS event. when money is involved, things get complicated. responsibility, audit, accusation, logistic, account, tax, etc...

the above tweaking of the current system should be able to ensure better attendance to the event as well as more fairness to the members.
    always the Light, .... always.

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post

deregistered
    good job ! can't believe such cocky people also got, gave all kind of lame excuses.
    Last edited by ninelives; 25th April 2012 at 08:44 PM.
    Objection !!!

Blog Entries

The admins/mods act like kings here.....
    you are SO mistaken..... mods are more like slaves and servants here ... actually slaves, since we dont get paid (Oh! we get free food tho' once a year during the Appreciation Dinner .... AND last friday night !!!)

like in THIS thread .... you could have just been dereg on your FIRST WHINE if we are what you claim we are ....

over the last 24hrs , we took the blardy time and trouble to explain why and we gave alternatives, we bend backwards, HELL Sebastiansong even started a thread asking for Feedback on how to improve the next time

SO DONT YOU DARE PATRONISE US WITH this farking "Admins/Mods act like kings here" shiet
    Last edited by ed9119; 25th April 2012 at 08:43 PM.
    Walkeast

How about $20 non refundable and the money donated to charity.

End of the day the less fortunate will benefit regardless people attend or not.

Seriously, I think $20 - $30 is reasonable this is not a cheap hobby in the first place, if people can spend $8000 on a camera, $50 to shoot XMM whose not even looking at your cam, $200 on a bag...
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

bro Edd, kool down...
    always the Light, .... always.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    ... because they are the rulers here..
    not today kei ... just NOT today.... please...thanks
    Walkeast

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast