Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: constant aperture?

Blog Entries

Default Re: constant aperture?

Quote Originally Posted by Thinktank22 View Post
    Sigma 24-70 hsm is quite a steal if u dun use f2.8 often, at f4 it is very good at all focal len. At 24mm f2.8, it beats my nikon afd 24mm 2.8

U may like to try it out, sometimes dun trust len reviewer too much, too scientific result may not be applicable for everyday real world shooting. Of course i am speaking from a poor man point of view .. if u can afford nikon original lens, then go for it.
    Sigma 24-70 hsm is not very sharp at F2.8. It is even less sharp than the much cheaper Tamron 28-75. And the Sigma gives very ugly bokeh with OOF highlights. So for a poor man's point of view, the best choice is still the Tamron 28-75, cheaper, sharper (even wide open) and better bokeh. Only thing Tamron looses out is the 4mm at the wide end and the slower/noiser focus. And the new Tamron 24-70 VC USM is getting rave reviews in IQ... so I guess the sigma 24-70 have to stand one side even more... No reason left to get the Sigma anymore.

And btw the nikon 24/2.8 afd is not that great a lens...
    Last edited by daredevil123; 13th May 2012 at 05:33 PM.

Blog Entries

BTW, you can see a test comparison between the Sigma 24-70 HSM and the Tamron 28-75/2.8. Just keep in mind that the Tamron is around half the price of the Sigma.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/sigma...-xr-di-ld.html

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123
    BTW, you can see a test comparison between the Sigma 24-70 HSM and the Tamron 28-75/2.8. Just keep in mind that the Tamron is around half the price of the Sigma.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/sigma...-xr-di-ld.html
    Not sure if u r refering the link to me, but thanks, i will definately check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    The tokina comes in many many versions. Only 2 versions are worth looking at. You can read more about the Tokina 28-70 here, which also comes with some comparison pics to the nikon 28-70

NIKON GLASS: Tokina AT-X Pro 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8

The current nikon 24-70 is much sharper than the Tokina wide open. But with a little sharpening and contrast adjustment in PP, the Tokina can still yield awesome results, and is very value for money. The Tokina pro I and pro II versions should be selling around $350-$400. Anything more than $400, it makes more sense to go for the Tamron 28-75, which is much sharper.

Here is a comparison shot I took with a Nikon 24-70 and a Tamron 28-75. Can you guess which pic is taken by which lens? Both are 100% centre crop, straight out of camera JPEG.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    The Tokina lens is a copy of Angenieux 28-70 f2.8, if you happen to came across this lens, grab one.
    Thanks guys. Didn't know about this lens. Picked one up in BnS this weekend for my D700.
    Dxxxx | 35/1.8 | 50/1.8 | Tokina 28-70 | Panny G1 | 14-45 | 25/1.7
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    The Tokina lens is a copy of Angenieux 28-70 f2.8, if you happen to came across this lens, grab one.
    Grab which one? The Tokina or the Angenieux?

Quote Originally Posted by Ansel View Post
    Grab which one? The Tokina or the Angenieux?
    Tokina. Wish it was the Angenieux.
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by fmeeran

Tokina. Wish it was the Angenieux.
    I bought one which was the Angenieux but the CA turned out pretty bad. Not sure if had gotten a bad copy. Sold it in the end.

The construction of the Tokina lens is superb, better than the current Tamrons.

Quote Originally Posted by westclox
    The construction of the Tokina lens is superb, better than the current Tamrons.
    Yes. I decided to compromise a but on the sharpness for build quality.
    My Flickr

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12