Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: constant aperture?

Default constant aperture?

Hi all,

Anyone here using nikon 24-70 2.8 Or tokina 24-70 2.6? As I intended to get one of those, but I need to know if lets say one of the len I mentioned above, I zoom it to the max focal length, will the aperture still remain at the smallest f number eg:2.8/2.6?

Andy

Default Re: constant aperture?

Yes.. since its constant. Aperture will still be the same. Then its up to you whether to stop down or not.
    Unlike those eg 3.5-5.6 kind of lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by theandycreation
    Hi all,

Anyone here using nikon 24-70 2.8 Or tokina 24-70 2.6? As I intended to get one of those, but I need to know if lets say one of the len I mentioned above, I zoom it to the max focal length, will the aperture still remain at the smallest f number eg:2.8/2.6?

Andy
    Yes of course, no matter if it's at 24mm or 70mm, the widest aperture will be f2.8

Blog Entries

yup constant, so go BBB a nikon 24-70
    Lousy de My Flickr

Paging for Tokina f2.6, oh wait nevermind.

yes constant.
    you might want to rent it for a day or two first to try out, before blowing 2k on it, if you aren't too sure/not familiar with it

The tokina f2.6 wil stil read as f2.8 on ur Dslr.

Technically, It is f2.6 at 28mm n f2.8 at 70mm.

if u use it on FM2, i think it is able to register n shoot at f2.6 at 28mm.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Wow. Thanks to all responds. Appreciated.

Blog Entries

The tokina comes in many many versions. Only 2 versions are worth looking at. You can read more about the Tokina 28-70 here, which also comes with some comparison pics to the nikon 28-70

NIKON GLASS: Tokina AT-X Pro 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8

The current nikon 24-70 is much sharper than the Tokina wide open. But with a little sharpening and contrast adjustment in PP, the Tokina can still yield awesome results, and is very value for money. The Tokina pro I and pro II versions should be selling around $350-$400. Anything more than $400, it makes more sense to go for the Tamron 28-75, which is much sharper.

Here is a comparison shot I took with a Nikon 24-70 and a Tamron 28-75. Can you guess which pic is taken by which lens? Both are 100% centre crop, straight out of camera JPEG.

Last edited by daredevil123; 25th April 2012 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123
    The tokina comes in many many versions. Only 2 versions are worth looking at. You can read more about the Tokina 28-70 here, which also comes with some comparison pics to the nikon 28-70

NIKON GLASS: Tokina AT-X Pro 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8

The current nikon 24-70 is much sharper than the Tokina wide open. But with a little sharpening and contrast adjustment in PP, the Tokina can still yield awesome results, and is very value for money. The Tokina pro I and pro II versions should be selling around $350-$400. Anything more than $400, it makes more sense to go for the Tamron 28-75, which is much sharper.

Here is a comparison shot I took with a Nikon 24-70 and a Tamron 28-75. Can you guess which pic is taken by which lens? Both are 100% centre crop, straight out of camera JPEG.
    Hey thanks man. So where in sg do sell the tokina lens? Btw, the picture u posted, for me, both quality are fine with me. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by theandycreation

Hey thanks man. So where in sg do sell the tokina lens? Btw, the picture u posted, for me, both quality are fine with me. Nice.
    The lens is not in production anymore, you have to search on the BnS

Quote Originally Posted by theandycreation View Post
    The Tokina lens is a copy of Angenieux 28-70 f2.8, if you happen to came across this lens, grab one.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    The Tokina lens is a copy of Angenieux 28-70 f2.8, if you happen to came across this lens, grab one.
    i have one, but not sure if it is the right one

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Angenieux AF28-70 f2.6.

Legendary lens.

the Af is a'lil noisy.

From f4 onwds, v sharp.
    However, yet to try on d800e, thus how it measures up the latest high mp monster is still unknown.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    i have one, but not sure if it is the right one
    not the correct one,

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Ben only the pro I and pro II F2.6-F2.8 are Angenieux formula.. the rest are not, and are much more inferior...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by theandycreation View Post
    It is already discontinued for many many years. You can try to hunt for the lenses in 2nd hand shops (like those in Peninsular) or look for them in BnS section of this forum. I came by a couple of copies for sale, but decided against them at those points in time.

Seriously, if you have a budget constrait, just go for the Tamron 28-75/2.8 which cost around $560 brand new with 3 year warranty, or a used one for around 380-480 depending on condition. Or you can wait for the soon-to-arrive Tamron 24-70/2.8 VC which should cost around 900-1100... Because the Tokinas are not easy to come by.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 25th April 2012 at 07:28 PM.

Thanks for all the feedback. Appreciated.

Tokinas aren't quite in the same league, formulaic or not. The original Angenieuxs were made to complete the Leitz, so Tokina = Leitz??????

Sigma 24-70 hsm is quite a steal if u dun use f2.8 often, at f4 it is very good at all focal len. At 24mm f2.8, it beats my nikon afd 24mm 2.8

U may like to try it out, sometimes dun trust len reviewer too much, too scientific result may not be applicable for everyday real world shooting. Of course i am speaking from a poor man point of view .. if u can afford nikon original lens, then go for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast