Thread: MRC Filters + excessive cleaning = removal of MRC?

Default MRC Filters + excessive cleaning = removal of MRC?

Hi, i have a few B+W MRC filters (CPL + UV)

When off on photo shot i often get fingerprint marks / stains on the filters. so i usually put a couple drops of lens cleaning liquid and wipe off the stains.

will excessive cleaning rub out the MRC? thus far it seems fine, but i am wondering how durable these MRCs are....

some of these filters (esp the MRC CPL) oil stains are jsut so hard to remove!! i try to clean up some end up getting even more stains !

eh if i am not wrong the coating will deterioate over time....

so cleaning it with solution is not a good idea...

use lenspen?

lens mustn't clean too often lah. rub and rub, no matter rub with what will also rub off one day right?

Quote Originally Posted by pai
    use lenspen?

lens mustn't clean too often lah. rub and rub, no matter rub with what will also rub off one day right?
    if we put UV filter on, i dun think even need to clean the lens, just blow off the dirt will do... unless so blur until use the rear end as a thumb/fingerprint verification device...

btw, regarding the Cir-Pol, i think the oil is there for a purpose (lubrication? for the 2 piece of filter) so its not going to be able to remove that oil stain, besides, it won't affect the image as well...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

I think there is a very high chance of rubbing the coating off.. I have a HOYA super HMC UV filter.. and I'm a bit obessesed with a 100% clean filters...
    I've had the filter for nearly 6months and I think I've just about cleaned the 'hard' coating layer away already.. lucky it's just a cheap UV filter.

like pai said: no matter what coating.. if clean too much also sure rub off. especially those oily finger prints that can never seem to come off.. so you start to rub harder..

Now.. i have some dust.. some fingerprints.. and I just leave it there.. I clean only when the specks / prints gets quite bad..
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Deregistered

super clean filters are only for the equipment obsessed. so long there's no mud covering the entire lens' view, you're fine. my 24-85 looks bleah, while my 70-200's B+W doesn't get a cleaning from me... almost for months now

u either clean the filter or the lens front element..

Oil from finger prints are acidic. Its better to clean it off then to let it sit on your filter.

Use a filter in conjunction with a lens hood to prevent finger prints. That will minimise the number of times you need to clean the filter. Most of the time blowing is enough. Also remember to have good habits when changing lens. Once trained, you will minimised fingerprints.

best is juz blow with blower when got dust....else use brush ....

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    if we put UV filter on, i dun think even need to clean the lens, just blow off the dirt will do... unless so blur until use the rear end as a thumb/fingerprint verification device...
    oops. i should have said "filter" instead of lens in this case. but applies to both lah.

Invest in a Lens Pen and if you must clean your lens or filter, use it. Its dry powder method of cleaning is less destructive than solutions, the worst of which is isopropyl, which at strengths greater than 50% can strip the anti-glare/anti-static coating off your computer monitor.

Similar experience with hoya's super hmc filters. With cleaning fluid, the coating comes off. Or the fluid adheres to the filter lol. Can't see negative side effect on the actual film though.

What I do now is to simply use the cleaning cloth without any liquid. Also... nowadays I don't use any protective filter - use the lens hood and cap the lens when not shooting.

Alvin

Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    super clean filters are only for the equipment obsessed. so long there's no mud covering the entire lens' view, you're fine. my 24-85 looks bleah, while my 70-200's B+W doesn't get a cleaning from me... almost for months now
    Yeah, well said man sehsuan. In a year, I have only cleaned my filter less than the number of fingers of one hand, that is to say 5 times. A blow once in a while will do.

Just an analogy - for those who wear spectacles - as I do, the multicoating gets washed everyday and wiped dry with ordinary tissue. That coating last me a good 3 years! So, your cam lenses should last more than 10 long years, longer than you care to keep them.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.