Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ND Filters for 14-24

Default Re: ND Filters for 14-24

Quote Originally Posted by akuma View Post
    can consider progrey G-150x...they use the same filter...u can go TK and ask them
    Lee don't make 10stop for sw150...so need to get Hitech one...but 10 stop ND Hitech currently no stock in TK.
    I chose Lee in the end as i can buy the system adapter and use on my 77mm one.
    but i end up with a 0.6ND hard which i don't use
    Oh this is a good point ... "chose Lee in the end as i can buy the system adapter and use on my 77mm one"
    Thanks buddy for pointing that out.

Anyone tried the Progrey G-150X?

Like how sturdy it fits onto the 14-24mm f/2.8 and how stable it holds the filters?

For less than half the price of the SW-150 which allows the filter holder (not the adaptor ring) to be removed more easily, as long as it fulfils the function, looking like a cost effective buy.

Off coz, not branded lah.

Quote Originally Posted by Luminare View Post
    Anyone tried the Progrey G-150X?

Like how sturdy it fits onto the 14-24mm f/2.8 and how stable it holds the filters?

For less than half the price of the SW-150 which allows the filter holder (not the adaptor ring) to be removed more easily, as long as it fulfils the function, looking like a cost effective buy.

Off coz, not branded lah.
    I believe you can go down to TKfoto and see both holders in person

Both fit the 14-24 very well, and both hold the filters just fine.

I chose the Lee SW150 over the Progrey because of 3 things:

1. The size of the adaptor rings
    Lee's adaptor ring is smaller and can be left on the 14-24 at all times, while still allowing the lens to be stored in most bags. Progrey's adaptor ring on the other hand is quite physically large, and if you leave it on the lens all the time it can be hard to fit into some bags. Both the Lee and Progrey's filter holder sections can be removed easily.

2. Ability to use on other "normal" lenses
    Lee makes an adaptor for that purpose, Progrey does not.

3. Ability to seal against light leaks
    This is only really relevant if you use high strength ND filters in the day. Neither holder is perfect out of the box, and I would say that Lee's holder does have some interesting design flaws. But personally, I can seal the Lee holder better and more easily than the Progrey. You can PM me for details about this.
    Last edited by rh89; 12th April 2014 at 06:04 PM.

Thank you Bro,

Dropped by your website.

Great review and solution on the SW-150 and inspiring landscape photos

SW 150 looks like a good solution to the 14-24mm f/2.8G and the ability to fit different size adaptors to different lenses mark the gap between the Lee SW 150 and the other brand filter holders

Quote Originally Posted by rh89 View Post
    I believe you can go down to TKfoto and see both holders in person

Both fit the 14-24 very well, and both hold the filters just fine.

I chose the Lee SW150 over the Progrey because of 3 things:

1. The size of the adaptor rings
    Lee's adaptor ring is smaller and can be left on the 14-24 at all times, while still allowing the lens to be stored in most bags. Progrey's adaptor ring on the other hand is quite physically large, and if you leave it on the lens all the time it can be hard to fit into some bags. Both the Lee and Progrey's filter holder sections can be removed easily.

2. Ability to use on other "normal" lenses
    Lee makes an adaptor for that purpose, Progrey does not.

3. Ability to seal against light leaks
    This is only really relevant if you use high strength ND filters in the day. Neither holder is perfect out of the box, and I would say that Lee's holder does have some interesting design flaws. But personally, I can seal the Lee holder better and more easily than the Progrey. You can PM me for details about this.

Thank you Bro, Dropped by your website. Great review and solution on the SW-150 and inspiring landscape photos SW 150 looks like a good solution to the 14-24mm f/2.8G and the ability to fit different size adaptors to different lenses mark the gap between the Lee SW 150 and the other brand filter holders
    You're welcome, glad you found it useful. One thing though, I'm not a guy

Please accept my most sincere apologies ....... Was attracted to your works and ingenuity, missed out the Bio tab.

You're welcome, glad you found it useful. One thing though, I'm not a guy

Hi rh89
    I really enjoy reading your site ... especially on your "Lee SW150 Filter Holder Custom Baffles".
    very useful and thanks for sharing. All the best to you.

Please accept my most sincere apologies ....... Was attracted to your works and ingenuity, missed out the Bio tab.
    Apology accepted, it happens a lot

Quote Originally Posted by bethpapa74 View Post
    Hi rh89
    I really enjoy reading your site ... especially on your "Lee SW150 Filter Holder Custom Baffles".
    very useful and thanks for sharing. All the best to you.
    Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it and found it useful!

Hello, is the ProGrey holder as prone to leaks as the SW150 without modifications?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkersNg View Post
    Hello, is the ProGrey holder as prone to leaks as the SW150 without modifications?
    Hmm I'm not entirely sure what you mean - do you mean does a un-modified Progrey holder leak more than an un-modified Lee SW150? Or does an un-modified Progrey leak more than a modified Lee SW150? Or do you mean can you modify the Progrey to avoid leaks, and in which case, does that leak more or less than the SW150?

Hmm I'm not entirely sure what you mean - do you mean does a un-modified Progrey holder leak more than an un-modified Lee SW150? Or does an un-modified Progrey leak more than a modified Lee SW150? Or do you mean can you modify the Progrey to avoid leaks, and in which case, does that leak more or less than the SW150?
    I'm referring to both out of the box, with no modifications made at all, and which will leak more? Thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by MarkersNg View Post
    I'm referring to both out of the box, with no modifications made at all, and which will leak more? Thanks for your help
    Ah ok. Straight out of the box, without a doubt, the Lee SW150 will leak a lot more than the Progrey. It's a design issue. Un-modified, the Lee SW150 also suffers from interesting reflection problems that the Progrey doesn't.

Ah ok. Straight out of the box, without a doubt, the Lee SW150 will leak a lot more than the Progrey. It's a design issue. Un-modified, the Lee SW150 also suffers from interesting reflection problems that the Progrey doesn't.
    Thanks for the info Cheers!

but progrey does not have a adapter for 82/77 thread. Lee does

Quote Originally Posted by bethpapa74 View Post
    but progrey does not have a adapter for 82/77 thread. Lee does
    Huh? You sure? The last time I bought from TK, they gave me the wrong rings, it was a 82mm mount thread. I have to go back to change it to 77mm.

I also saw 72, 58 rings.

Quote Originally Posted by lenslust View Post
    Huh? You sure? The last time I bought from TK, they gave me the wrong rings, it was a 82mm mount thread. I have to go back to change it to 77mm. I also saw 72, 58 rings.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we're talking about different holders. This thread is about filters for the 14-24, and so the Progrey that bethpapa74 is talking about is the G-150X, for the 14-24, which uses 150mm filters. I think you're probably talking about the G-100X, which uses more standard 100mm filters. The point being made is that the G-150X can't be adapted to "regular" lenses, while the SW150 can.

After consulting rh98, I've decided to stick to sw150 and do the mod which she suggested.
    Many many thanks for all your knowledge on sw150

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we're talking about different holders. This thread is about filters for the 14-24, and so the Progrey that bethpapa74 is talking about is the G-150X, for the 14-24, which uses 150mm filters. I think you're probably talking about the G-100X, which uses more standard 100mm filters. The point being made is that the G-150X can't be adapted to "regular" lenses, while the SW150 can.
    Okay, got it, mis-read and misunderstood.

Do correct me if I got it wrong

For the Lee SW 150 system, to use it on other Lee adaptors, one must either already own those adaptors or have to purchase them on top of the SW 150 system adaptor ring that does not come with the SW 150 filter kit.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast