Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: newbie in film SLR

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Spore
    Posts
    617

    Default newbie in film SLR

    hi, I started out photography usining P&S digital camera without much knowledge of the techniques. Now i'm thinking of getting a budget film SLR to try out.
    As i'm really new to SLR is it possible to get a 2nd hand entry level film SLR with lens kit at ard $100?

    Not particular about brand, just looking for 1 something which i can learn from.

    Any recomendation or anyone selling cheaply?
    Last edited by cast123; 26th December 2004 at 06:09 PM.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    upper thomson
    Posts
    183

    Default

    i'm sure others can recommend you second hand film SLRS around $100, but let me introduce you the nikon f601. I heard from my friend that those are going for around $200 at TCW.

    Mine has been in use since more than 5 years ago and have no problems so far.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Spore
    Posts
    617

    Default

    tks for the reply and recomendation will check up on it.

    But do u have any idea film SLR can last how many years if taken care properly?
    Also how frequent do you guys clean the lens.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cast123

    But do u have any idea film SLR can last how many years if taken care properly?
    many many years



    Quote Originally Posted by cast123
    Also how frequent do you guys clean the lens.
    normaly we dont purposely go and clean the lens for the sake of cleaning it.. just screw on a UV filter and just wipe the filter clean, thats all. ie this way u will never touch the lens frontmost element

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Spore
    Posts
    617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by user111
    many many years


    normaly we dont purposely go and clean the lens for the sake of cleaning it.. just screw on a UV filter and just wipe the filter clean, thats all. ie this way u will never touch the lens frontmost element

    tks bro for the info

    any recomendation from u which SLR is suitable for entry level? saw people selling a nikon F55, would u recomend it to a newbie?

  6. #6
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Yep. Go for it. Alternatively, F80 is a good choice too

  7. #7

    Default

    entry level nikon - f55/f75/f80/

    u may also consider manual nikons

    canon entry level - eos 3000v/ eos 300v/ eos 30/33/33v

    minolta entry level - also have..

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Spore
    Posts
    617

    Default

    wah tks espn and user111,

    will check up more info on these camera
    1st of all need to know whats "manual" nikons ???

  9. #9

    Default

    meaning nikon's manual film cameras those that existed before the advent of AF (autofocus) cameras , where exposure, focus, film rewinding all have to be manually done..this part of the story, let the nikon guys explain in greater detail

  10. #10

    Default

    to answer some of ya queries....

    1....camera can keep for long long time....my f401 is eh....16 years i tink....

    2....100 with lens is abit tight.....an ok one for learning with a 50mm prime will be ard 200++

    3....nikon 01 series are ok...coz they are cheap and effective....

    4....manual nikon basically as the name says works without automation...

    a) load film
    b) wind to first frame
    c) adjust settings.... ISO, aperture (on the lens ring), shutter on the knob on the right side
    d) after composing, need to focus manually....the focusing screen got this circle with a line....turn focusing ring on lens to get sharp pix
    e) shutter away....
    f) wind film to advance to next frame

    roughly manual nikkor is lydat.... the FM2 is pretty good..

    my recommendation, get an AF camera, apart from the automatic settings, it can be disabled and used on manual mode.....to enhance learning...AF cam with 50mm prime will bring u a long way.....

    and to fill up the list of user 111...

    AF nikon - f55/f75/f80/f65/f90
    Manual Nikon - FM2/FM3/FE
    canon - eos 3000v/ eos 300v/ eos 30/33/33v
    minolta AF - dynax 5, dynax 7

    cheers....
    Last edited by Witness; 27th December 2004 at 01:42 AM.

  11. #11

    Default

    sorry to burst your bubble.. but the EOS 30/33 is in no way a entry level camera. it's more advance than the EOS 300 in terms of functions. i'll put it as more of an advanced amateur model below the semi-pro models.

    same also for the Nikon F80 / 90X

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Spore
    Posts
    617

    Default

    oh i see,witness tks for the introduction of manual camera. and i'm really surprise that film camera can last that long(16yrs)!

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Spore
    Posts
    617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mervlam
    sorry to burst your bubble.. but the EOS 30/33 is in no way a entry level camera. it's more advance than the EOS 300 in terms of functions. i'll put it as more of an advanced amateur model below the semi-pro models.

    same also for the Nikon F80 / 90X
    tks mervlam for the clarification.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cast123
    tks bro for the info

    any recomendation from u which SLR is suitable for entry level? saw people selling a nikon F55, would u recomend it to a newbie?
    This is a great camera for a newbie.. and second hand probably in your price range. You can learn all the basics and get great quality photos. espn recommends the F80 (I have one)... This is a real enthusiasts camera with a lot more features. If you go for the F55 it could last you a lifetime and you may find it does everything you want... However most of us CSers find oureslves always yearning for bigger and better and the F80 offers pretty much every feature you could wish for (or aren't even aware of).. However even second hand its probably out of your price range..

    Like you I started 'digital' and then went back to film to learn the fundamentals. its a great way to do it. If i had my time again i'd probably have gone for a cheaper film model such as the F55.... as i've now gone full circle and got a digital SLR.

    Sometimes Fewer Features encourage you to be a better photographer!!!

    Stroma

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Spore
    Posts
    617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stroma
    This is a great camera for a newbie.. and second hand probably in your price range. You can learn all the basics and get great quality photos. espn recommends the F80 (I have one)... This is a real enthusiasts camera with a lot more features. If you go for the F55 it could last you a lifetime and you may find it does everything you want... However most of us CSers find oureslves always yearning for bigger and better and the F80 offers pretty much every feature you could wish for (or aren't even aware of).. However even second hand its probably out of your price range..

    Like you I started 'digital' and then went back to film to learn the fundamentals. its a great way to do it. If i had my time again i'd probably have gone for a cheaper film model such as the F55.... as i've now gone full circle and got a digital SLR.

    Sometimes Fewer Features encourage you to be a better photographer!!!

    Stroma

    thats very encouranging stroma, tks

  16. #16

    Default

    i agree to stroma in a way....even with dslrs etc...i still enjoy using my seagul TLR even though its manual focus and can only set aperture and shutter speed....

    same goes for my f401....only shutter and aperture....helps one pick up the basics very quicky....

    and not very costly also.....

    cheers!

    ps: hope to see ya in outings soon haha..

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •