Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wedding Photography

Default Re: Wedding Photography

Quote Originally Posted by FuraCelest View Post

Since its a wedding the jitters is in me since all awesome momenst happens very fast and im trying to deliver my best and to eliminate dissapointing shots when i view my spread at the end of the day.
    You have advantages that the official photographer does not as you are the bride's best friend.Her family know you so
    they will not be self conscious and more likely be natural in their expressions and you are familiar with the layout of
    the house meaning the best location and lighting.While outdoors or at venues like church or wedding reception with many
    people it may be daunting so must have a plan on how you will execute your assignment.Going through mentally will
    prepare you some what.Your camera and lens cover most of the focal lengths used for intimate as well as group portraiture.Hope you have an external flash as group photos require more light in large venue as built in flash is only good up to 35mm and short distance.Of course direct flash will cast hard shadows so an external flash that have swivel head
    and with the addition of diffuser will lessen such hard shadows.Are you familiar with existing light photography? It gives another dimension to the mood,make use of light from windows to give additional lighting.

You are already familiar with your camera controls.Go through the check list of what you should bring along like spare set of battery and memory card.Blower brush etc.As you are not the main photographer no point to use tripod.Most likely you will be moving from places and viewing angles.Anticipate photo opportunities.You have autofocus,exposure and large memory so it's a matter of pressing the shutter button.Have situational awareness,many scenes/photo opportunities are
    are taking place.Go through wedding photography books for examples and inspiration.Post your work in the photo gallery
    section for us to enjoy.Good luck you can do this.

Thank you all. But i think all of you are getting too technical and serious. And missing the point that i am not the paid photographer or the 2nd photographer. Im the bride's personal photograper for her own personal use and abuse.

And i have the freedom to say what spot its good and whats not. I am after all an amateur and its my first time covering a wedding and also not paid $1300k with post processing fees. I also have to do some editing as well and am clearly aware of my lack of equipment.

The point is im only asking what mode am i should or should not be using thats all. Not what prime lens or tamron lens or tripod. If you guys really wanna help answer my initial question thank you.

But i do value all of your input.

Just use the mode you are most familiar with. If not you would find yourself tweaking the camera and miss the shot/moment.
    Anyhow, A bad shot is not worst than No shot. cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by TWmilkteaTW
    Just use the mode you are most familiar with. If not you would find yourself tweaking the camera and miss the shot/moment.
    Anyhow, A bad shot is not worst than No shot. cheers.
    Yea agreed and thank you. Its better to have a pic try to fix then have none all.

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    flash or not better than no pic.
    quite wrong actually. flash do matters if TS just anyhow fires the flash, it will have an impact on the main photographer's photos.

I faced this problem sometime back when the ROM i am doing for my ex colleague... the guest all bring their camera and firing their flash (pop up flash + external flash) all about. Then it really screws up my metering, either i get over exposed for my photos (when my own flash and the guest flash fires at same time), or underexposed when my flash fires first followed by guests. In the end I just switch off my flash, and lucky I am using a prime lens, can shoot wide open with high ISO.

The point is im only asking what mode am i should or should not be using thats all. Not what prime lens or tamron lens or tripod. If you guys really wanna help answer my initial question thank you.
    Sorry if all the posts get you confused.Guys talk like that because that's how it's done. I totally understand your
    situation.As the seniors said use the modes that you are already familair with because ultimately it's about correct exposure and all these modes help you do that.In my opinion Av and Tv can handle most situations so have the peace
    of mind.The only tip I can offer is if the LCD picture don't look correct to you like colour or contrast is to adjust the EV
    compensation if under or over expose and take another shot or PP if not possible.You can also use the other picture modes even P as long as you get the shot. I am assuming you are shooting in Jpeg format so really have to get exposure spot on for best results.All the best.
    Last edited by one eye jack; 18th April 2012 at 01:06 PM.

Thank you all. But i think all of you are getting too technical and serious. And missing the point that i am not the paid photographer or the 2nd photographer. Im the bride's personal photograper for her own personal use and abuse.

And i have the freedom to say what spot its good and whats not. I am after all an amateur and its my first time covering a wedding and also not paid $1300k with post processing fees. I also have to do some editing as well and am clearly aware of my lack of equipment.

But i do value all of your input.
    the is the my answer to your question in post #2, you should do your usual stuffs, do the things that you know what are the results will be.

it is not surprise to see all sort of suggestions, people tense to forget that is other people's weddings, want to try new stunts in weddings, taking the couples as guinea pigs.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    the is the my answer to your question in post #2, you should do your usual stuffs, do the things that you know what are the results will be.

it is not surprise to see all sort of suggestions, people tense to forget that is other people's weddings, want to try new stunts in weddings, taking the couples as guinea pigs.
    Exactly. The idea is to capture moments. If we are paid, then yes we should know what we are doing and have a good equipment.

I think after reading everything, i think im gonna use the exposure mode that im most comfortable with, and shoot from where i am comfortable with and stay out of the way of the pro photographer. Simple as pie.

Quote Originally Posted by one eye jack

Sorry if all the posts get you confused.Guys talk like that because that's how it's done. I totally understand your
    situation.As the seniors said use the modes that you are already familair with because ultimately it's about correct exposure and all these modes help you do that.In my opinion Av and Tv can handle most situations so have the peace
    of mind.The only tip I can offer is if the LCD picture don't look correct to you like colour or contrast is to adjust the EV
    compensation if under or over expose and take another shot or PP if not possible.You can also use the other picture modes even P as long as you get the shot. I am assuming you are shooting in Jpeg format so really have to get exposure spot on for best results.All the best.
    Hey thats really a good tip in regards of the ev compensation will keep that in mind. Just one more. As its gonna be yellow lightning everywhere, what should i do to eliminate thay colour cast? Or i should just edit it out in post processing?

Hey thats really a good tip in regards of the ev compensation will keep that in mind. Just one more. As its gonna be yellow lightning everywhere, what should i do to eliminate thay colour cast? Or i should just edit it out in post processing?
    Shoot in B&W

set a custom white balance with a grey card before the event starts.
    else you will need to change the WB during your post process.

Quote Originally Posted by spawnx

Shoot in B&W
    Ah yes. Beautiful too

Quote Originally Posted by AnsQ

set a custom white balance with a grey card before the event starts.
    else you will need to change the WB during your post process.
    Oh ok noted. Thanks.

changing the white balance will help. Depending on what lighting the place is using, either florescent or tungsten... or you can set your own white balance (3200-4200K range).

u can also shoot raw and correct it later.

If the lighting will be constant, then use a grey card. If it isn't, I suggest shooting in RAW then correcting the WB in post

you can try auto-bracketing.

set your camera to auto-bracket and "tune" the exposure comp needles 2 or 3 dots away (i am bad at technical description) from the center point.
    set your camera to continuous shoot. it will then fire in bursts of 3, one with under-compensated (darker) , one with 'neutral' comp (medium) , one with over-comp ( brighter),

like this no need worry if can catch the correct light setting. I think this works well in P mode (maybe Av mode? not sure)
    Check your manual...auto bracket saved my day when my default medium comp underexposed my cousin-in-law (in bridal dress dazzling white)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12