View Poll Results: How much do you let the picture quality influence your evaluation of a photo?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very much, it almost determines how good a picture is

1 5.56%
  • Depends, but picture quality definitely does have some influence

13 72.22%
  • Not at all, I only look at exposure and composition

4 22.22%

Thread: How much do you let the picture quality influence your evaluation of a photo?

Default How much do you let the picture quality influence your evaluation of a photo?

As above, am interested to find out how much influence the picture quality affects whether you think a picture is "good" or "excellent" or just plain "eeee". For example, a photo from F707 with nice vibrant colours, smooth rendering and sharp subjects but with mediocre composition, versus a photo from a cheap Taiwanese DC with plain colours and some noise and grain but superior composition and meaning, which one would you rate as " better"?

There is no right or wrong, just your rightful opinions, please vote! THanks.
    Last edited by Tweek; 28th July 2002 at 02:27 PM.

Midnight
    Guests

Hmm, personally I wouldn't draw too fine a line between "image (technical) quality" and "composition". I've seen some grainy pictures that would probably have lost much of their impact if they had been smoother, and likewise muted colours can convey a message too. It all depends on the photographer's intent.

I think photography effects are just a way to convey the picture's mood.. Most importantly is that the photographer is fully aware of his medium and use it well in application to his concept or ideas. For example if the photographer wants to convey a message of dreamy, he would perhap intent to make a picture look blur, grainy or soft.. If he would have taken a very clear picture, super sharp, the dreamy feel might not work well very well. So it depends on what the photographer is trying to acheive.