Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: whcich camera to buy

  1. #1

    Default whcich camera to buy

    hi i want to buy a camera i want to take shots of fish in tank and for other purpose too can you guys recommend me some good camera in under 300$

    thank you

  2. #2

    Default Re: whcich camera to buy

    Quote Originally Posted by Rifles View Post
    hi i want to buy a camera i want to take shots of fish in tank and for other purpose too can you guys recommend me some good camera in under 300$

    thank you
    You need camera with manual controls with macro and super macro mode.

    For that budget, you should look for FujiFilm S2xxx/S3xxx series camera.

    I recently saw one at Giant Sembawang shopping center selling for $299.

    example
    http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/for...d.php?t=286447
    Last edited by sony90290; 16th April 2012 at 01:07 PM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: whcich camera to buy

    Quote Originally Posted by sony90290 View Post
    You need camera with manual controls.

    For that budget, you should look for FujiFilm S2xxx/S3xxx series camera.

    I recently saw one at Giant Sembawang shopping center selling for $299.
    Disagree. Any camera will do, but i recommend using a bright light from the top instead of a flash.
    Alpha

  4. #4

    Default

    You can get reasonably decent shots with a simple point and shoot camera, once there is sufficient light.

    I know because I have friends who deal with Arowana (龙鱼) and this is what they do.

    The difficulty is when there is something special that you wish to show - a unique color or tint. That is when you really need to understand light.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  5. #5

    Default Re: whcich camera to buy

    It is better to buy camera with manual controls.

    I bought my 1st camera $199 and regret my purchase after I found that it cannot adjust ISO. aperture shutter speed.

    I can only use the preset mode, which has many limitation.

    You will regret your purchase and need to spent more money for another camera if you buy any camera, thinking it will satisfy your need.

    If you are not an expert like the senior member here, who can achieve great result with simple point and shoot. I would suggest you save more money for an entry level DSLR.
    I eats, shoots & leaves

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yutaka Go
    If you are not an expert like the senior member here, who can achieve great result with simple point and shoot. I would suggest you save more money for an entry level DSLR.
    Now that's a loaded statement.

    Manual controls are always superior, if the TS understands the camera and light.

    I'm under the assumption that TS:
    - is on a budget
    - wants to have some photos for either memory sake or for online posting reasons

    Cameras with manual controls aren't terribly cheap, and I think TS will need to increase his budget.

    A point and shoot is sufficient for memory's sake.

    If the TS would like to take nice pictures to the sake of a sale, that is where he may wish to demonstrate certain qualities of the fish, by which you'd need more than either a point and shoot or dSLR. Crucial understanding of light and the fish is essential to pull that one off. You won't believe the hassle my friends go through to ensure that they get an accurate representation of the color of the fish, amongst others.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  7. #7

    Default Re: whcich camera to buy

    Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post

    If the TS would like to take nice pictures to the sake of a sale, that is where he may wish to demonstrate certain qualities of the fish, by which you'd need more than either a point and shoot or dSLR. Crucial understanding of light and the fish is essential to pull that one off. You won't believe the hassle my friends go through to ensure that they get an accurate representation of the color of the fish, amongst others.
    agree with this. i tried it when i first started on photography. even with an entry level dslr, its not easy.

    if we're talking abt something large like arowana, flowerhorn or parrot fish, its easier. but try something small like guppies and its a big headache. they move around constantly, the colour details are very difficult to capture in full and many small details matters - body shape, claudal, dorsal, tail shape... and no, macro lens doesn't always help... at close range, DOF is rather shallow. if u step down, there's not enough light

    totally agree that a crucial understanding of light and fish is as important as choosing the right camera for the job - bearing in mind that bright lights will stress the fish - so have to be careful that we are not taking pix for the fish's obituary as well.
    Last edited by detritus; 16th April 2012 at 10:19 PM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: whcich camera to buy

    thank you all

    but i'm looking for simple digital camera that can capture picture of fish clearly even if they are moving in aquarium and which has an option to turn off flash

  9. #9
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: whcich camera to buy

    Quote Originally Posted by Rifles View Post
    thank you all

    but i'm looking for simple digital camera that can capture picture of fish clearly even if they are moving in aquarium and which has an option to turn off flash
    If your lighting is good enough, you will not need the flash, or else, your camera's shutter speed will not be fast enough to capture movement of the fish. So if you really want, you might need a camera that could allow you to have some manual control or unless your fish tank is very well lit.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  10. #10

    Default Re: whcich camera to buy

    Quote Originally Posted by Rifles View Post
    thank you all

    but i'm looking for simple digital camera that can capture picture of fish clearly even if they are moving in aquarium and which has an option to turn off flash
    You must realize that with your budget of under $300. Your options are very limited.

    You buy any Newspaper on weekend and you will see the good cameras are usually above $300.

    The average or below average cameras are below $300 and the outdated models are usually less than $100 for 1st 5 or 10 customers.
    I eats, shoots & leaves

  11. #11

    Default Re: whcich camera to buy

    so there is no camera in under 300$ that has an option to turn off flash??

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    421

    Default Re: whcich camera to buy

    Quote Originally Posted by Rifles View Post
    so there is no camera in under 300$ that has an option to turn off flash??
    with your budget, i go for Canon HS115... slightly more fund, HS220.

    edit:
    check at trustworthy camera shops.. maybe now, you can get HS220 below $300
    Last edited by intrance; 17th April 2012 at 12:05 PM.
    ~PeaceNoWar~

  13. #13

    Default Re: whcich camera to buy

    ok now just please tell me from these which 1 to buy (and please tell the reason why):

    Sony CyberShot DSC-W670
    Sony Cybershot DSC-WX30
    Sony Cybershot DSC-TX10
    Canon IXUS 115HS
    Canon IXUS 220 HS
    Canon Power Shot A-3200 IS

    thank you

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    421

    Default Re: whcich camera to buy

    read reviews on them.. go to the mall and handheld them.. see which one u like...

    happy deciding..
    ~PeaceNoWar~

  15. #15

    Default Re: whcich camera to buy

    Quote Originally Posted by Rifles View Post
    so there is no camera in under 300$ that has an option to turn off flash??
    All cameras can turn off the flash.
    Alpha

  16. #16

    Default Re: whcich camera to buy

    Quote Originally Posted by Rifles View Post
    ok now just please tell me from these which 1 to buy (and please tell the reason why):

    Sony CyberShot DSC-W670
    Sony Cybershot DSC-WX30
    Sony Cybershot DSC-TX10
    Canon IXUS 115HS
    Canon IXUS 220 HS
    Canon Power Shot A-3200 IS

    thank you
    Wah, so we should do all the research for you and read the reviews for you? How much will you pay us?

    Is this also how you choose food/gf/wife? "Here's my list, tell me which 1 to pick"? Please learn to make your own decisions too...
    Alpha

  17. #17

    Default Re: whcich camera to buy

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Wah, so we should do all the research for you and read the reviews for you? How much will you pay us?

    Is this also how you choose food/gf/wife? "Here's my list, tell me which 1 to pick"? Please learn to make your own decisions too...
    was asking that you might know which 1 is better, lame but you are no help

  18. #18

    Default Re: whcich camera to buy

    Quote Originally Posted by Rifles View Post
    was asking that you might know which 1 is better, lame but you are no help
    At that price range, they are all quite similar. As for the one which is better/best of the bunch read the reviews.

    Essentially you are just trying to avoid reading and researching and hoping someone can spoonfeed the answer. Sadly, what may be "best" for one persone may not be the "best" for you and your purpose. Which is why you need to do the research on your own first, it can help you understand which camera may be a better fit for *you*.

    Understand that I am not trying to be "no help", I am trying to make sure you get the camera YOU will be happy with for YOUR needs, and not just get one that someone else liked because they only used that and never tested/tried others. If someone says "eh, this one quite ok lah" and then you buy it, and it totally does not meet your expectations, who's to blame?
    Last edited by Rashkae; 17th April 2012 at 12:52 PM.
    Alpha

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rifles
    hi i want to buy a camera i want to take shots of fish in tank and for other purpose too can you guys recommend me some good camera in under 300$

    thank you
    My take is any cam will do. What is most impt is u must have good lighting exposure to the fishes. And to achieve this, u place the tank near to window, shift in a way it gets max sunlight exposure. If not enough, u may need to fix up studio lights to cover the other angles.

    Why not u google on tips for fish photography??

  20. #20

    Default Re: whcich camera to buy

    In addition, dont forget that shooting through a fish tank will have reflections hor, coz of the glass. Any cam will be the same. The thing is that if you are using a DSLR, at least u can use a filter to remove the reflection. but with a P&S, there is nothing to help removing the reflections. And if you attempt to use the pop up flash, its going to be worse.

    the way that i know is to place the lens on the glass, touching the glass and shoot. but it's going to restrict your shots. So u got to try different methods to get your result. There is no fixed baby formula, dude......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •