Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How you became successful?

Blog Entries

Default Re: How you became successful?

Quote Originally Posted by Agetan View Post
    hahaha.... you don't have to pander to your clients taste when doing photography. It should be the other way round... clients buy your image because who you are...

There is no stress when you do what you enjoy doing really... Actually, I have a lot less stress now then when I work for in corporate world... In corporate world, you seems to need to "comply" unless of course, you are the top guy...

Hart
    which is what i wanna avoid haha! 5 minutes, to do a corporate headshot. neh don't like that kind of stress.

Blog Entries

success to me is relative la.

to a commercial working professional, success could be just ending everything in the black and make a tidy profit.

for a hobbist, it could be as simple as just pretty landscapes.

i have my own definition of success, milestones to it also. so its really a different ruler for everyone.

how to become successful is just simply hardwork, learning continuously, grabbing opportunities when they come by.

Exactly Hart.

I work on 4-12 months for a lens as I am a serial supertele user (or is that abuser?), unless it's an esoteric chunk of glass in which case it must pay for itself in 3 years, thankfully there are few bits of esoteric glass available these days and I own all the chunks I will ever need I think. Studio kit has 6 months to pay for itself, with the exception of hugely expensive kit like my product bench which got 2 years due to it being specially made for me. About the only place I regularly upgrade on a yearly basis is the image processing computer. A 3 second saving per image x 100,000 images a year is near enough 4 days of my life I don't have to be chained to PhotoShop so I can be doing more productive things such as slotting in an extra photoshoot or taking the long suffering girlfriend out for dinner (she complains she's a widow already).
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Haha... Tried latest iMac with thunderbolt storage yet?

It save lots of time...

Hart

Haha... Tried latest iMac with thunderbolt storage yet?

It save lots of time...

Hart
    Nope as I'm a PC user, Instead of Thunderbolt I use a Raid 0 processing array and a 1 GB LAN to a full tilt Raid 5 array (14 TB) and from there it goes out on to Sata 3 removable storage for long term archiving.
    The Ang Moh from Hell

May I know that you have an any degree in photography field?

Watch youtube videos of annie lebovitz, richard avedon etc. Very inspiring. There is a full lemgth video of annie lebovitz called through the lens or something

:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mronetwothree
    Hi all

I am considering very seriously about starting a photo biz, however do not really know how to go about in doing so. I have another 2 years bond in my current job so I guess I should start planning if this is a good move.

Is there anyone here willing to share their successful stories? How you started out, finding your clients, challenges and difficulties.
    Wanna successful doing something like online selling lah.
    Guaranty you lama lama jadi bukit.

Meaning is not longer your income like mountain

Quote Originally Posted by larryblossom View Post
    May I know that you have an any degree in photography field?
    I have a Diploma in Applied Photography from RMIT Australia. Can't say how useful the Degree course is, but most of my skill comes from learning on the job and not from the 2yrs there. Studying is good for networking, broadening your mind and the experience in living overseas. You meet lecturers and fellow students, discover new styles and fine tune your own, I don't regret it.

Having a degree is useful if someday you plan to teach photography professionally in a college or art school.

Degree with first class honours in Journalism and Photography. It didn't do much that a decent editor can't bash in to you in a few years.
    The Ang Moh from Hell

Quote Originally Posted by trd2970 View Post
    Watch youtube videos of annie lebovitz, richard avedon etc. Very inspiring. There is a full lemgth video of annie lebovitz called through the lens or something

:-)
    I watched some years ago. Its nice and shows the glamor side.

Also read about her 24 million dollar debt. If strike Singapore Big Sweep first prize, strike 10 times also not enough to pay off.

10 Celebrities With Massive Debt - Mandatory
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

No degree in photography at all... Never attend any formal training either.

Hart

No degree in photography at all... Never attend any formal training either.

Hart
    Same. Self taught tog, plus learn on the job.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123