Thread: Here's what Tim Griffith wrote on his blog about request from Non-Profit Organization

Default Here's what Tim Griffith wrote on his blog about request from Non-Profit Organization

It's a long piece of blog but I think it reflects how he feels ... people think of only their own sustainable business model and ignore the fact that photographers too have operating costs and that they too have the need to sustain themselves, their family and of course, their business.

It is a good read. Tim is not only a very good architectural photographer, he writes very well too.

level Blog Archive Going for Green

Default Re: Here's what Tim Griffith wrote on his blog about request from Non-Profit Organiza

Thanks for sharing. It's a good read.

Default Re: Here's what Tim Griffith wrote on his blog about request from Non-Profit Organiza

really feel for him.. they are full time photographers and their income depends solely on licensing their photos.. and yet these poor photographers are being exploited by big rich organizations... really depressing..

When the movie and software industry are disturbed by priracy, they have the support of govt, and ad are run here and there to tell people not to steal.. but how about these poor photographers?

Unfortunately many photographers wanna work for free, including so called pro ones. When there do many of these so called ones, it impacts the market for him and many pro photogs because it demotes professional photography.

Truth is, (I wanted to say this for a long time but always held back...)

Truth IS, the moment you do FREE you made enemies with the very industry and industry partners will shut you out of the door because you are a PARASITE and a CANCEROUS CELL that does nothing to build the industry nor the occupation of a professional photographer, but instead only damage the market in your short and miserable lifespan. Not that I want to use such strong negative words but it will be short and miserable because you will burn out fast and die from hunger.

So they leave you to rot with the malicious and the cheapos that prey on guillible photogs and you will never even smell the good clients nor the well paying clients. Even if you do, they will not pay you, because they are not used to.

Never be branded as a free or 'dirt cheap' photographer. It's suicidal.

A bit off topic but I hope still related a bit.
    Last edited by JasonB; 16th April 2012 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    Unfortunately many photographers wanna work for free, including so called pro ones. When there do many of these so called ones, it impacts the market for him and many pro photogs because it demotes professional photography.

Truth is, (I wanted to say this for a long time but always held back...)

Truth IS, the moment you do FREE you made enemies with the very industry and industry partners will shut you out of the door because you are a PARASITE and a CANCEROUS CELL that does nothing to build the industry nor the occupation of a professional photographer, but instead only damage the market in your short and miserable lifespan. Not that I want to use such strong negative words but it will be short and miserable because you will burn out fast and die from hunger.

So they leave you to rot with the malicious and the cheapos that prey on guillible photogs and you will never even smell the good clients nor the well paying clients. Even if you do, they will not pay you, because they are not used to.

Never be branded as a free or 'dirt cheap' photographer. It's suicidal.

A bit off topic but I hope still related a bit.
    Sorry OT, Agree... but partly, I do blame photographer who has no guts in saying "NO" and accept the request with much hesitation and keep complaining about it.

Sometimes, if a job is not suitable for what you do, DON'T accept it!!... Ok, I sound like I don't need the job, but the issue here is, if you do accept a job that you are not 100% believe in, you either produce nothing but mediocre images or not happy being there. Either way, it won't be good for you long term.

Too many photog have very short term goals, simply finding any assignment is one of them, (you can do that in the beginning of your career to have some income, you need to eat after all). To grow business long term, you really need to start finding your right work that you shine... that will bring you to the next level.

I don't work for free, but I do barter my work with my partners to gain exposures that is measurable and profitable at the end.

Regards,

Hart

"Promoting and educating" do not necessarily equate to non-profitable. People will approach you with all sorts of excuses attempting to squeeze blood from stones. A "client" of mine wanted discounts because he didn't feel comfortable working with me since its the first time. I told him he should then find a photographer whom he is comfortable. I knew that if I were to give in to him the 1st time, I'll probably will have to give in to him subsequently. I'm ready to burn bridges.

All customers are equal, some customers are more equal than others
    The Pareto Principle shows it is likely that customer profitability follows a power law.
    The most profitable will be many times more profitable than the least.
    Some customers actually make you lose money while others can make profit.
    Service discrimination is a fact of business life.
    You provide better services to those who pay more.
    You offer discount to those who pay more.

Those who want to buy 1 get 10 free, you can ask him to buzz off.

Photography is a business that follow the same principle as other businesses.
    Last edited by Yutaka Go; 19th April 2012 at 05:13 PM.
    I eats, shoots & leaves