Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: variable ND Filter

  1. #1

    Default variable ND Filter

    like to ask pro here is variable ND filter good for landscape photo?

  2. #2

    Default Re: variable ND Filter

    For best image quality, you can try the following brand/series but very expensive


    1. Singh-Ray New Vari-ND Filter


    2. Kenko Variable NDX Filter ND 2.5 to ND 1000
    2a. CP/TK



    3. Light Craft Workshop Fader ND Digi Pro-HD Round variable neutral density filter ND2-ND1000

  3. #3

    Default Re: variable ND Filter

    I haven't tried variable NDs yet but if you ever want to use them, I'd suggest getting the best (Singh-Ray). Reason being bad filters can seriously screw up your image quality. Variable NDs are already hard to make (compared to NDs) so at the same cost, they should degrade image quality more than normal NDs. If you get a crap one, lagi worse.

    For landscapes, usually if I want to smooth the water or the skies, I'd use the max I can get (which is 10 stops). The vari ND filter has more advantages for portrait work. For landscapes it can help if you don't want to waste time taking out the filter every time you change composition. Just turn it to 2 stops, check your framing, then turn it back to 8. With a 10 stops filter it's impossible to check your framing with the filter on unless you are shooting in the brightest conditions.

  4. #4
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,388

    Default Re: variable ND Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by bigfatlamer View Post
    like to ask pro here is variable ND filter good for landscape photo?
    Have you read the filter guide? A vary ND is just a technically different form of ND. Whether it is good .. two aspects: resulting effects and colour accuracy come in here. If any ND does the trick then a vary ND is just more flexible. Colour accuracy can vary (since vary ND is a combination of two CPL filters) - you may want to shoot RAW to correct colour casts.
    EOS

  5. #5

    Default

    Thanks from the info.

  6. #6
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: variable ND Filter

    One thing you have to take note was that when using UWA lenses when fitted on with Vari-ND filter, you might get a 'X' effect at some point.

    An In-Depth Comparison of Two Variable Neutral Density Filters

    So far my vari-ND filter can only give me up to (at the most) 5 stop before the 'X' effect came in... and so in the end, I gave up and buy myself a Hoya ND400 and thats it.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  7. #7

    Default

    The best vari-ND would be the heliopan. It has physical stop for min and max density. It is also calibrated so that they are accurate and is the most expensive among the rest.
    Last edited by tonyep; 16th April 2012 at 04:51 PM.

  8. #8

    Default

    I believed the x symptom referred here is mentioned in http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...5&changemode=1

    I just realised this issue this morning by boat quay when stopping down max and at my tamron widest focus length 17mm. Of cos I was using a 3rd party mic filter as I am not into landscape.

    I believed too though investing a more branded or expensive var nd filter too will suffer e same but with more tolerance right?

    This is saving me the time and convenience of adjusting but a fixed nd filter Is the best option?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Toa Payoh
    Posts
    128

    Default Re: variable ND Filter

    Not to hijack the thread but I heard that a variable ND of say 8 stops does not really give you the full 8 stops. Is this true?

  10. #10
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: variable ND Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeropoint View Post
    For best image quality, you can try the following brand/series but very expensive


    1. Singh-Ray New Vari-ND Filter


    2. Kenko Variable NDX Filter ND 2.5 to ND 1000
    2a. CP/TK



    3. Light Craft Workshop Fader ND Digi Pro-HD Round variable neutral density filter ND2-ND1000
    There are 2 other very good ones worth looking at, the Tiffen Vari-ND and the Heliopan Variable ND.

    Personally, I am not impressed with the LCW.

  11. #11
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: variable ND Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyep View Post
    The best vari-ND would be the heliopan. It has physical stop for min and max density. It is also calibrated so that they are accurate and is the most expensive among the rest.
    Yes.. but the Heliopan also max out at 6.6 stops.

  12. #12

    Default Re: variable ND Filter

    I also nearly bought a variable ND filter, until I read up all the potential image quality issues.
    I know they are not recommended, but just curious if anyone has tried lower end brands? I saw this one called iLens from MS Color.

    If wanting to go 8 stops, I guess a fixed ND filter is the best.
    I personally can probably live with having to make slight adjustment changes to the aperature, shutter speed and maybe even ISO if I want to go a more precise 7 or 6 stops.. but has anyone any experience with this?
    It's just not practical to bring along a full set of ND filters of varying stops.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Jurong
    Posts
    524

    Default Re: variable ND Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by Quest88 View Post
    I also nearly bought a variable ND filter, until I read up all the potential image quality issues.
    I know they are not recommended, but just curious if anyone has tried lower end brands? I saw this one called iLens from MS Color.

    .......
    Yep, I have the Ilens filter.... got it sometimes back, impulse buy, never use so far., only test shot...

    My test: this ilens can down to 5 stops - still OK (based on my quality acceptance std) ... after that, 'banding' comes....

    BUT surprising the color cast is better than the HOYA fixed ND filter..... I also have the BW and Hoya ND filter...... Hoya ND give a bluish/greenish tint....

    Qualified my comment a little: I did not 'pixel peep' the resulting image.... so that quality i do not know....
    Last edited by swhyge; 13th May 2012 at 03:57 PM. Reason: add add. comment

  14. #14

    Default Re: variable ND Filter

    Anyone tried the H&Y variable ND filter? I saw this filter in hk, and not sure whether its good or not

  15. #15

    Default Re: variable ND Filter

    I have been looking into variable ND filters for quite some time now. Mostly to use it to capture motion and use bigger aperture for videos during sunny weather. Only problem is price since the good ones like Singh Ray is expensive. Then I came across Camdiox brand from Tagotech for $30. Enticing for its price. Anyone tried it? Any other cheaper but good alternative variable ND filters under $50? the reason why I dont want to get the expensive ones is because I want to experiment with it first and dropping a large amount then not using it as much might be a waste of money.

  16. #16
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: variable ND Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by jin06 View Post
    I have been looking into variable ND filters for quite some time now. Mostly to use it to capture motion and use bigger aperture for videos during sunny weather. Only problem is price since the good ones like Singh Ray is expensive. Then I came across Camdiox brand from Tagotech for $30. Enticing for its price. Anyone tried it? Any other cheaper but good alternative variable ND filters under $50? the reason why I dont want to get the expensive ones is because I want to experiment with it first and dropping a large amount then not using it as much might be a waste of money.
    All those cheap ones you mentioned are not worth your time and money. If you really want one, you have to pay for quality. There are no cheap and good ones.

  17. #17
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default

    How about getting a good ND filter instead of a high end Vari ND.

    If you are looking to long exposures anyway, you can always get a 10 stop Lee for instance, and it will still be cheaper than a Heliopan or SR or Schneider True Match variable NDs.

    Ryan

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •