Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Could not decide between Canon Ixus 40 and Nikon 5100 or 5200

  1. #1

    Default Could not decide between Canon Ixus 40 and Nikon 5100 or 5200

    I have a budget of S$500 +/-, could not decide between Canon Ixus 40 or Nikon 5100 or Nikon 5200. I am hoping to get something small

    Canon Ixus 40
    - Slim
    - Large LCD screen


    Nikon 5100 and 5200
    - I couldn't find the difference between the two except 5100 runs on AA batteries, can anyone enlighten me?
    - I tested 5100 and have to say the feel on the palm is good especially with the right hand grip
    - Size is okay
    - Small LCD Screen

    Appreciate if someone can help to advise on this. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    NSW Australia
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Get ixus 40 if you like its compact size and the 2" LCD. Excellent P&S cam. Got one a few days back and have been enjoying every minute with it.

    Not sure about Nikon 5100 though. Didn't consider Nikon as I didn't have good experience with my Nikon 775.

  3. #3

    Default

    hmm, small size is good, but i think choosing a large lcd screen would have its pros and cons.

    before you make up ur decision on which "big lcd screen" camera to buy, be sure to check out the resolution of the screen. if a 1.5 inch screen and a 2.5 inch screen both have the same resolution of 118000 pixels, this means that the 2.5 inch screen has a very poor resolution.

    another thing is that big screen consumes a lot of battery power. (unless u're talking about the new casio model, which is well-known for gd battery life).

    just my opinion, gd luck choosing ur perfect cam.

  4. #4

    Default

    Personally, I hate small LCD p&s digital camera. The Ixus 40's 2" LCD is very good, give you good view when framing your photo, somemore the screen is
    anti-reflective coating. Just buy an extra third party battery, it costs you around S$25-30 only.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Well,sory to disagree to all of u....
    Well i strongly recomand u de Canon IXUS i5... but this will cost u $620 but i knoe your budget is $500 ++ but if u wana to learn fast bout dis digi cam i give u 2days or 3days...........and u will be happy for yourself..
    5 Megapixels
    6.5x Digital Zoom
    Powered by DIGIC
    9-POINT AiAF
    Movie Mode
    Changeable 12-colour clock display
    LCD Sreen 1.5
    SD-CARD

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Panzer
    Get ixus 40 if you like its compact size and the 2" LCD. Excellent P&S cam. Got one a few days back and have been enjoying every minute with it.

    Not sure about Nikon 5100 though. Didn't consider Nikon as I didn't have good experience with my Nikon 775.
    I was attracted by the 2" LCD screen, the 1.5" is a no-no fight. I dun hv very stable hands so I am concern if I will end up with a lot of blur pixs. I like the way I can hold Nikon 5200.

    Can you please share where you get it from and the price? Did you collect the freebies on the spot?

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diet
    Well,sory to disagree to all of u....
    Well i strongly recomand u de Canon IXUS i5... but this will cost u $620 but i knoe your budget is $500 ++ but if u wana to learn fast bout dis digi cam i give u 2days or 3days...........and u will be happy for yourself..
    5 Megapixels
    6.5x Digital Zoom
    Powered by DIGIC
    9-POINT AiAF
    Movie Mode
    Changeable 12-colour clock display
    LCD Sreen 1.5
    SD-CARD
    the ixus i5 may have a sharper image cos its fixed lens but most ppl buy a digital camera for its convience, so no optical zoom, aka no zoom, means no go.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Pablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Blue/Green Planet
    Posts
    1,854

    Default

    Hi,
    When it comes to compact cam's Nikon has it over the rest.
    Go for the 5200
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

  9. #9
    Senior Member Pablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Blue/Green Planet
    Posts
    1,854

    Default

    Hi forgot to mention,

    The Nikon 5200:

    "Featuring aspherical elements and an ED glass element, it achieves a significant reduction in aberration."

    From the website
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    the ixus i5 may have a sharper image cos its fixed lens but most ppl buy a digital camera for its convience, so no optical zoom, aka no zoom, means no go.
    Agree with u, no optical zoom no point.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ling
    Agree with u, no optical zoom no point.
    No optical zoom.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Panzer
    Get ixus 40 if you like its compact size and the 2" LCD. Excellent P&S cam. Got one a few days back and have been enjoying every minute with it.
    Welcome to the Canon family.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Panzer
    Get ixus 40 if you like its compact size and the 2" LCD. Excellent P&S cam. Got one a few days back and have been enjoying every minute with it.

    Not sure about Nikon 5100 though. Didn't consider Nikon as I didn't have good experience with my Nikon 775.
    u find ixus 40 that good?
    Coz i find the camera very 'shakey'.
    U have such problem esp when taking indoor shots without flash and tripod?

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diet
    Well,sory to disagree to all of u....
    Well i strongly recomand u de Canon IXUS i5... but this will cost u $620 but i knoe your budget is $500 ++ but if u wana to learn fast bout dis digi cam i give u 2days or 3days...........and u will be happy for yourself..
    5 Megapixels
    6.5x Digital Zoom
    Powered by DIGIC
    9-POINT AiAF
    Movie Mode
    Changeable 12-colour clock display
    LCD Sreen 1.5
    SD-CARD
    Movie mode and shutter lag, IXUS 40 is better.
    IXUS 40 is powered by Digi II and has 3x optical and 3.2x digital zoom.
    Its LCD is 2" and also uses SD card and 9pt AiAF with AF focus assist.
    The only good i see on your recommendation is 5mpix. But i find 4mpix enough

  15. #15

    Default

    I tried out the ixus 40 the other day and was blown away.

    It has an sense of class and sophistication to it, for that range of ultra compact digital cams.

    Feels good in your hands and the buttons are all intuitively located and within reach of ure thumb. The menu is nicely designed and the focusing and digic 2 are great. colours are accurate even with flash.

    Most importantl when u choose is the consideration of which camera do u forsee shooting most with.


    if interested my friend bought his Ixus 40 from best cam in funan for $610. best price ard. they will quote u 620 but haggle abit and play along haha, they are super funny man.
    Last edited by leninkoh; 26th December 2004 at 10:28 AM.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leninkoh
    I tried out the ixus 40 the other day and was blown away.

    It has an sense of class and sophistication to it, for that range of ultra compact digital cams.

    Feels good in your hands and the buttons are all intuitively located and within reach of ure thumb. The menu is nicely designed and the focusing and digic 2 are great. colours are accurate even with flash.

    Most importantl when u choose is the consideration of which camera do u forsee shooting most with.


    if interested my friend bought his Ixus 40 from best cam in funan for $610. best price ard. they will quote u 620 but haggle abit and play along haha, they are super funny man.
    I was quoted around S$596 by Cathay. Did your fren collect the freebies on the spot?

  17. #17

    Default

    can bargain one

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Bukit Panjang
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Yeah, got the IXUS 40 from BestCam today as well. Good price and the sales stuff are young and funny. haha

    Thumbs up for them for been honest and likable.....

  19. #19

    Default

    get the ixus 40. best of the best!
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

  20. #20

    Default

    Thanks to all who have put in their comments. I have finally got Ixus 40, have not really try shooting it but the feel of holding it is really good!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •