Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diamond shopping, pls help!!

becareful of online shopping for something of this value!

ok,listen here...
    Abt the 4Cs....FORGET ABT THE OTHER THREE,AND GO FOR CARAT!!

As far as I've learnt,girls are not much impressed about how pure is the color, how exquisite is the cut,blar blar blar..

When they look at a diamond,all they'll ask is 'HOW MANY CARAT!.
    Thats also what all their female friends will ask.

Go for an average 3Cs but for 3K,make that rock huge!

Quote Originally Posted by firestone
    Thats also what all their female friends will ask.
    that's good advise even if your gf is very knowledgeable, her frens may not be

It is the cutting that makes the diamond sparkles. A bigger carat diamond that is not of good cutting will not sparkle as much as a smaller one that has an excellent cut.

Thing to note is that most diamonds of excellent cuts are hard to come by and mostly with the bigger retailers.

Noboby remembers that the diamond is of a certain cut,color,clarity..except u maybe..BUT the ladies WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER so n so's husband bought her..

Condition1.
    only a .3 carat diamond!( Believe me,no one will ever mention its super-grade)

Condition 2.
    OMG! a 3 carat diamond!!!

Hope u won't mind my tongue in cheek comment, but it's true.

hahhahaha true true... you know I was looking at the stuff at shops and it occured to me, that for all the sparkles, if you weren't really into diamonds its hard to tell the difference btwn say a piece of crystal or glass and a diamond. and it was hard to stomach that a small piece of glass looking thing could cost so much! but hey at least I got to drink lots of nice peach tea (lee hwa)!! hahhaha...

firestone, as for size, I think it depends on the girl as well. my gf doesn't like too much attention so getting too big a rock might not mean she'll like it better, I think its better to get a rock that's not too small on her finger, that looks just ritely proportional. not to mention cheaper.. hahahahahh... (funny, the same doesn't apply to my photographic acqusitions)

interestingly tho, once you go into it and learn about the intricacies, it's a lot like photo equipment shopping, there's all the subtle differences in glass, different materials for the ring, so many shops both online and brick and mortar, lots of comparisons to be made, in a way its actually enjoyable! (so choy, it IS kinda like giving her the olympus!)

Quote Originally Posted by hoppinghippo
    (so choy, it IS kinda like giving her the olympus!)
    only thing is you can't "borrow" the diamond to help me shoot some fish
    Last edited by hwchoy; 27th December 2004 at 02:03 PM.

hi zaren, where's "canary"? I've not heard of it?

I think I may be ordering online instead, the pricings that I"ve surveyed so far seem to be up to 100% more than online prices! plus I"ve checked some of the local surveyed diamond vital stats on the Holloway thingy (http://www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp) and horrors!! some of them were really really bad!!!
    hi hoppinghippo,

canary is at delfi orchard.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Default View the HOF diamonds ... =)

hahhahaha true true... you know I was looking at the stuff at shops and it occured to me, that for all the sparkles, if you weren't really into diamonds its hard to tell the difference btwn say a piece of crystal or glass and a diamond. and it was hard to stomach that a small piece of glass looking thing could cost so much! but hey at least I got to drink lots of nice peach tea (lee hwa)!! hahhaha...

firestone, as for size, I think it depends on the girl as well. my gf doesn't like too much attention so getting too big a rock might not mean she'll like it better, I think its better to get a rock that's not too small on her finger, that looks just ritely proportional. not to mention cheaper.. hahahahahh... (funny, the same doesn't apply to my photographic acqusitions)

interestingly tho, once you go into it and learn about the intricacies, it's a lot like photo equipment shopping, there's all the subtle differences in glass, different materials for the ring, so many shops both online and brick and mortar, lots of comparisons to be made, in a way its actually enjoyable! (so choy, it IS kinda like giving her the olympus!)

Hey....get a nice little 'stone' that sparkles ...I am sure ur wife's gfs will drool over it. U will be amazed that HOF's diamonds shine even in low light conditions...I was.

At the point of purchase , it was either a new DSLR or a proposal ring for me. I gave up my 20D for that little stone.... If you are interested to know what I am talking about, PM me and I will give you the outlet and name of the Salesperson who served me.

When are you proposing ? how much time ve u got ?

Quote Originally Posted by AhV
    When are you proposing ? how much time ve u got ?
    yah tell tell! we all go there shoot you proposing

zaren: thanks for the tip, I"ll go check it out soon!

Ahv: hahahahahhahaa...... I like the way you had to balance btwn a 20D vs the ring... but you can still buy the 20D later and justify it to your wife "But honey, your RING's so nice, I had to get a good camera to shoot it on your finger! honest!". yeah I think I'll def get a HOF or H&A stone. but so far I"m leaning towards getting it online cuz the prices locally are pretty marked up quite high plus not every shop here gives free drinks when you visit them so its a pain to scout around after a while..hahahah...no lah. and I"ll proposing in jan so I don't have much time actually. but bo bian lah, must wait till year end bonus come then can buy stone mah.

choy: I plan to do so overseas lah not here. you willing to buy plane ticket, you're more than welcome to shoot all you want! :O)

like I said just becareful when you buy online. just got my pair of shoes from UK which I ordered in September! A simple case of misaddressing can cause the package to go awry. Even sending by courier things can go wrong. So just bear that in mind you don't want to have to propose with just a rose instead.

Hmm, i got my wife-to-be a .4 with colour grade D and she loved it. You do not need to get a VVS1 or VVS2 i feel, which is much more expensive as compared to the VS or even the SI. Most flaws are really not visible to the naked eye. Whereas colour and cut is what makes the diamond shine most.

Got mine about 2.5k and worth every penny i reckon.

Lastly, what matters is not the size of the diamond but of your heart.

Blog Entries

Have breakfast at tiffany's
    and choose anything there, the little blue box will do the trick.

Girls also know the brand and will show it off.

Congratulations!

aiyah worse comes to worse, I"ll go perlini's then colour the box blue and write tiffany's over it! :O)

Thanks for your congrats and sharing guys!

choy: you buy your shoes from UK??!!!! wow....

aiyah worse comes to worse, I"ll go perlini's then colour the box blue and write tiffany's over it! :O)

Thanks for your congrats and sharing guys!

choy: you buy your shoes from UK??!!!! wow....
    get the original box and scan the text or someone with a box can post it

my feet a bit wide so prefer shoes with width sizing. can't find the brands I like in Singapore leh. erm anyone knows if Alfred Sargent is available here?

those intested in getting GIA certified diamonds could go for Sookee which sells them at 40% discount. abt $3.2k for a 0.5C Color E, VS2. seems worth it.
    Last edited by mpenza; 8th January 2005 at 12:31 AM.

yep LH also prices about there for a similar diamond but better inclusion. but these all arent H&A diamonds hence the cheaper price. I finally bought mine off the net, a H&A 0.501ct, G VS2 for S$2.6K inclu shipping which shows the mark up we have locally!

yup, these are the normal brilliant cuts. Had a quote from LH for a HRD certified 0.52ct F VVS1 @ $3648 (also ~40% discount).

yours is very reasonably priced! where did you buy from? The cheapest H&A I've seen locally are from SK Jewelry which is selling a 0.43ct, H VS2@$2119 (inclusive of ring) but with local cert. Their Eternity series is even cheaper 0.71ct GH@$3119.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12