Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wedding photography

Default Re: Re: Wedding photography

Hi Ck,

What do you mean by "meter for the indoors then fill flash"?, is it that you just get a metering without flash, than turn the flash compensation to -1.5. Do i still need to compensate when i use a bounce card?

kueko

Originally posted by ckiang

1. Use Fuji Press 800 or NPH 400 for all the indoor shots. I used to use NPH, but find Press 800 gives me a better balance between the ambient and flash lighting, giving a more natural result.
    2. If you can, meter for the indoors then fill flash with bounced flash (white card + ceiling). If cannot, use a shutter speed/aperture combo which is as close to ambient as possible, then let the flash do the rest.
    3. Group shots - wide angle, mid aperture (f/5.6 - 8).

Regards
    CK

Default Re: Re: Re: Wedding photography

Originally posted by kueko
    Hi Ck,

What do you mean by "meter for the indoors then fill flash"?, is it that you just get a metering without flash, than turn the flash compensation to -1.5. Do i still need to compensate when i use a bounce card?

kueko
    Something like that. I don't compensate, the TTL will do everything to account for the loss of light through bouncing, through Omnibounce, etc. The closer you can get your shutter speed/aperture combi to match the ambient lighting, the better. That's why I am recommending ISO 800 films (especially when I use a f/3.5-4.5 lens).

If the ambient lighting is bright, you can lower the flash a bit to say, -1, but I have not tried that and your mileage may vary.

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by art2d2
    Ok, I will be bringing my Canon A40 for backup for my Nikon SLR.

Another thing, is it advisable to use warm up filters like 81A/B as will mostly be taking shots of faces with flash ?

1. Use the warm up filters sparingly - perhaps only during overcast days when the light is no good. Flash actually gives you 5500-6000k light temperature. So you don't really need warm up filters. In fact, the warm up filters will make the whole scene look too warm, esp at the wedding dinner with lots of warm light.

2. i can't stress enough about using fast film like ISO 400 - 800. they let you balance the ambience and flash beautifully and also allow you to use mid apeture (5.6-8) to ensure sufficient DOF.

3. For flash, try using one of those Omni-Bounce Stofen thingy. i find the quality of light is pretty good when shooting straight-on, less 1 stop flash output. Shooting straight also helps to conserve those batts. i have actully used 1 set of AA alkaline batts for whole 8 rolls of shooting. the batt recycling was still very fast even till the last frame! If you intend to bouce for all shots, prepare to burn lots of batts, better still, get a boasterpack.
    cheers!

Originally posted by tsdh
    I'm not experience in wedding photography, but couple of months back, my friend asked me to take pictures of his wedding.
    At the mid of the ceremony, the film inside my camera finished (just after the bride inserting the ring), need time to rewind and reload with a new film and I will lost the next moment. Luckily I brought two bodies loaded with films inside my bag in the back of function room, I rushed to get my bag, but I still lost a few moments. Then I saw a big smile of a friend next to me who use a digicam with 1Gb microdrive.
    Would like to know; does a wedding photographer always carry more than one camera bodies?
    or always looking at the frame counter?
    u mean when u photograph anything at all, u're not aware of the advance of the frame counter or the number of shots u've expended???

this has nothing to do with having a 1 gig CF card or being on digital.

a serious wedding photograper would be constantly aware of the number of frames left in his camera. before you go into a situation where there will be a sequence of actions, it's best to load a fresh roll / pop in a new CF card. There's always time to load film in between sequences eg during the wedding dinner, after first walk in, there's a lull period of about 2 dishes, during which the wedding photographer should check status of equipment and load new roll for the third dish sequence. Same for church wedding sequences - memorise the sequence of actions to occur, and plan ahead the times when u need to reload, change lenses, change camera bodies etc.

This is standard practice. Better still if u're carrying 2 bodies.

and yes, a prudent wedding photographer will carry backup sets of all his equipment, including flash, camera bodies, extra film, backup lenses etc.

that's the difference between wat u pay a "friend to take photos for u" and engaging a serious freelance / professional wedding photographer to do it.
    David Teo
    View my work and blog at http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog

Default How abt using Digital Cameras?

Hi guys

I will be taking photos for my sister's wedding soon using my digital camera setup (S602+flash 285HV+omnibounce). My brother shd be using his film SLR camera.

I would like to know whether the advice on high ISO film to balance flash and ambience applicable for digital photography? i.e., shd I be using ISO400 on my DC instead for such shots ...

I know I shd just experiment with some indoor shots and see the results, but I wish to hear any experience from using a consumer (prosumer?) DC for weddings.

I am sure the shuttle lag wld be the greatest concern, but if I am not the main photographer, I think I can afford to be selective in choosing the moments to shoot.

Any experience to share? Thanks!

HOCL

Originally posted by Red Dawn

u mean when u photograph anything at all, u're not aware of the advance of the frame counter or the number of shots u've expended???
    this has nothing to do with having a 1 gig CF card or being on digital.
    I didn't keep track of expended frames. My colleague using 1Gb CF, also never worry about keeping track of the frame counter, yet he didn't short of frame because of his plenty storage. That's the advantage of digital.

a serious wedding photograper would be constantly aware of the number of frames left in his camera. before you go into a situation where there will be a sequence of actions, it's best to load a fresh roll / pop in a new CF card.
    Yes, that's right. Unfortunately I never worry about my frame counter, since most of the time I take 'slow-paced' type of photography, without sequence of bursting action.

that's the difference between wat u pay a "friend to take photos for u" and engaging a serious freelance / professional wedding photographer to do it.
    That's true.

but if I am not the main photographer
    Well, if you are not the main, the best places to take are usually taken by the main photographer and/or video crew.

I know its sound silly but having taken video at weddings with my ex company XL1 and having the main photographer and a assistant for video lights do not leave room for 'key' shots. My of the bride and groom friends who wanted to take a another view of the important day is marred by our view. Its our job and 'friends' sometime get in the way.

No offence but you might want to think to take another perspective of the wedding, maybe photojournalistic, very third eye view?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12