Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: DL Editor's Pick is the 5D3

Default Re: DL Editor's Pick is the 5D3

Quote Originally Posted by bomby929 View Post
    Like that D700 -> D800 is from Honda City to Merc E Class

Better metering.. Better noise.. Better AF.. 3x more pixel.. two card slot.. + 1080p video.. better weight.. better viewfinder.. at the expense of fps.. and cheaper than 5D3
    hmmmm....

looking at D700 and then looking at D800, i can safely say that it is worth upgrading but, D700 users can choose not to upgrade as D700 is an excellent camera.

but D800's technology advance is amazing, given that D700 is already a groundbreaking camera. Nikon really pulled yet another rabbit out of the hat.

however, for 5DMk2, due to the ancient AF system, it is a good idea for them to upgrade. i've used 5Dmk2 and got the shock of my life when I peek through and see the AF system. I thought D200's AF system could be better than the 5Dmk2's? i'm not sure but it is that ancient.

it is a substantial upgrade for them but for some Nikon users, on seeing the 5DMk3, they might feel that it isn't much to crow about as D700 already had a much better AF system and on paper, the upgrade seems minimal.

D800's 36.3mp count is huge and the relatively low noise output from high iso photo is a big plus.

perhaps we are spoilt by Nikon's breakthrough in technology time and again that we might take things for granted.

your mileage might vary!
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

I did not bother to read, cause I know DL reviews are crap.
    But I glanced the page showing off the 2 cameras with the Editor's Pick medal on the 5DIII and I said "WTF!"

I do hope Nikon sgp gets pissed off enough to pull the plug on supplying review cameras to DL and others follow suit.

They always give reviews that are not supported by any proof/tests.
    But its wide circulation means such lousy reporting/reviews get read by a huge readership.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    The D800 is for landscape and fashion photographers who "do not need to shoot beyond ISO 400". Sigh...
    The article is written by Trevor Tan, should be this person
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/photo...ommercial.html

A Canon user
    Bio

Trevor, please correct me if I am wrong.

i shoot canon. but i dont give a damn what DL give. prefer non-bias and trustworthy reviewers like dpreview.com, cameralabs, etc

Quote Originally Posted by NikF601 View Post
    Have u purchased D800 ?(see your footer), can see more pro feedback from u in future....
    Sorry, I'm not pro in giving feedback. Nor i have the D800 right now. I'm still waiting for my to materialize. My signature was kinda full, suppose to put the word "(incoming)" after D800 but I'm out of space..
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    The D800 is for landscape and fashion photographers who "do not need to shoot beyond ISO 400". Sigh...
    Why does it matter ?

I hope Nikon reads DL and decide to drop price of D800!!!! : )

Quote Originally Posted by kingpin View Post
    I hope Nikon reads DL and decide to drop price of D800!!!! : )
    Every cloud has a silver lining.

When we all get our big discount, we must remember to thank Trevor for this.
    Last edited by An drew; 12th April 2012 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
    hmmmm....

looking at D700 and then looking at D800, i can safely say that it is worth upgrading but, D700 users can choose not to upgrade as D700 is an excellent camera.

but D800's technology advance is amazing, given that D700 is already a groundbreaking camera. Nikon really pulled yet another rabbit out of the hat.

however, for 5DMk2, due to the ancient AF system, it is a good idea for them to upgrade. i've used 5Dmk2 and got the shock of my life when I peek through and see the AF system. I thought D200's AF system could be better than the 5Dmk2's? i'm not sure but it is that ancient.

it is a substantial upgrade for them but for some Nikon users, on seeing the 5DMk3, they might feel that it isn't much to crow about as D700 already had a much better AF system and on paper, the upgrade seems minimal.

D800's 36.3mp count is huge and the relatively low noise output from high iso photo is a big plus.

perhaps we are spoilt by Nikon's breakthrough in technology time and again that we might take things for granted.

your mileage might vary!
    Thats is why is a Honda to a merc. Totally different machine in a totally different category. IMHO 5D3 should have been what 5D2 should be, and that is why if users are using 5D2.. it make sense for them to go up to 5D3. because solve their pains and problems.

D700 in itself is a very good camera... why I like D800 is because it totally different from D700 and its a category by itself. Imagine a MF grade at 4 fps!! and only US$2,999.
    Nikon D90

Quote Originally Posted by bruggink View Post
    People can say what they want but nobody can stop the true Nikonians from getting their D800s.
    Only.. only if Nikon get their acts together than improve the stock for D800!! And the price too..
    Nikon D90

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bomby929 View Post
    Thats is why is a Honda to a merc. Totally different machine in a totally different category. IMHO 5D3 should have been what 5D2 should be, and that is why if users are using 5D2.. it make sense for them to go up to 5D3. because solve their pains and problems.
    D700 in itself is a very good camera... why I like D800 is because it totally different from D700 and its a category by itself. Imagine a MF grade at 4 fps!! and only US$2,999.
    What makes you think that d800 is in the same class as MF?
    Nikomi Canpen Zenten :eek:
    Not exactly 100% Natural but definitely the closest you can get to it

Quote Originally Posted by Zenten View Post
    Lloyd Chambers reckons the D800 is as good as the Leica S2!
    One needs to subscribed to read the review but you can still read the readers comments on the review
    diglloyd.com blog - Readers Comment on my Nikon D800 vs Leica S2 Shootout

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hkenh View Post
    Lloyd Chambers reckons the D800 is as good as the Leica S2!
    One needs to subscribed to read the review but you can still read the readers comments on the review
    diglloyd.com blog - Readers Comment on my Nikon D800 vs Leica S2 Shootout
    ..... not from the pictures I have seen so far ........

Quote Originally Posted by Zenten View Post
    ..... not from the pictures I have seen so far ........
    then you probably need to subscribe his DAP and see for yourself . . . .
    I don't know what pictures have you been looking at, but for long even trained eyes expert photographers were having hard times trying to tell large prints from D3X and MF
    the D800 just made that task even harder

Actually, I still don't understand why some ppl are comparing D800/e to MF digital-backs. MF is in another league and D800/e is extending the DR, sharpness, resolution and detail never before seen in any 35mm format DSLR. It is not going to replace MF and neither do most of the people around the world cares. MF is just out of reach for most people. So D800/e will be very popular as it is an affordable, next best (to nothing now) high resolution alternative to MF. I am thrilled, not because I am a Nikon user. I am no Nikon fan-boy. D800/e is revolutionary in that it can change the world of cameras. Canon and Sony will be forced to release high MP bodies in the future. MF manufacturers may lower their price or improve even more to keep the distance gap. In most panned out scenarios, it spell exciting times for a photographer, whether you shoot 35mm or MF or LF.

Quote Originally Posted by shelomoh View Post
    Actually, I still don't understand why some ppl are comparing D800/e to MF digital-backs. MF is in another league and D800/e is extending the DR, sharpness, resolution and detail never before seen in any 35mm format DSLR. It is not going to replace MF and neither do most of the people around the world cares. MF is just out of reach for most people. So D800/e will be very popular as it is an affordable, next best (to nothing now) high resolution alternative to MF. I am thrilled, not because I am a Nikon user. I am no Nikon fan-boy. D800/e is revolutionary in that it can change the world of cameras. Canon and Sony will be forced to release high MP bodies in the future. MF manufacturers may lower their price or improve even more to keep the distance gap. In most panned out scenarios, it spell exciting times for a photographer, whether you shoot 35mm or MF or LF.
    well, comparison is done because people generally are curious about the difference between the D800 and MF with similar MP. Especially when D800 is told to have improved DR, sharpness, detail etc which obviously give many the impression of being able to rival MF quality which cost a lot more than the 35mm system.

And, MF digital backs come in many different sensor sizes. For one, the Leica S2 has almost identical MP and the sensor is consider a mini sensor (45mmx30mm) in MF digital league compared to IQ180 of 54mmx40mm. So, it's natural to compare the Leica S2 with the D800. Photographers might be curious to see whether the difference between the S2 and other MF alike over the D800 can justify the huge premium they have, and that's why these comparisons are made. Put it simply, many are wondering whether they can pay something that cost only 1/8 of the MF system for quality that is nearly on par with it, and the D800 gives exactly that with the correct glass on it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hkenh View Post
    then you probably need to subscribe his DAP and see for yourself . . . .
    I don't know what pictures have you been looking at, but for long even trained eyes expert photographers were having hard times trying to tell large prints from D3X and MF
    the D800 just made that task even harder

.....subscribe to his DAP? ......that's probably what he wants most of you to do. D800 vs MF is probably the most talked about topic on the internet and he's just cashing in on it IMO ........... What did you say his name was again??
    Last edited by Zenten; 12th April 2012 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenten

Ok i agree nothing definitive that d800 is in the same league as MF. Price not the same class. In terms IQ ok MF win, but by how much? To a layman able to get 36mpx at that price where previously these resolutions belong to MF grade. You tell me, izzit this a game changer?

It's like bring the 35mm up to the big boys and the pics are not that bad either. Yah u can say its not MF grade. But at the price for that quality. If that's not value for $ dun noe what is.
    Nikon D90

We are here comparing the D800 against MF while DL declare the 5D2 to be the editor's choice. The D800 is a game changer while the 5D3 is just correcting the deficiencies of the 5D2. I suppose we are not the target audience of DL.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast