Thread: Cost of overseas pre-wedding photoshoot?

Default Cost of overseas pre-wedding photoshoot?

Hi guys,
    I'm being approached regarding an overseas pre-wedding photoshoot. While the couple has expressed that they would be covering my travel cost, I would like to know how you guys charge and go about planning overseas shoots?
    They havent have anything concrete but are planning to do it in Cananda.
    I did some google search and found prices to be around 5K inclusive of travel and accommodation. Do you guys usually just go alone or do you have partners going too? If so how do you guys charge?
    Regards,
    Colin

Default Re: Cost of overseas pre-wedding photoshoot?

I haven done any overseas pre wedding shots yet but besides the couple covering your travel cost. does it includes accomodation/meals/transport during the shoot? you will need to factor in these costs if the couple is not going to cover it. then plus hours you are going to put for the shoot as well as your own expenses during the job trip. and of cos finally, the profits.

u go to facebook and take alook at how others charge ?

Canada is very far and expensive. Things over there are not cheap too. Why did the couple asked a singaporean photographer and spend thousands of dollars on air tickets for a pre wedding shoot? Could have contacted a Canadian photographer. No offense. If you have no idea what canada looks like and where to shoot the wedding i suggest you drop the project and let someone else who has more experience in canada to do it.

why do u think a singapore photographer cannot do the job?

if the client think he is good and are willing to spend on his services why shouldnt he do it ?
    imo if he is good, he should be able to shoot them anywhere even in the worst location

a simple search will tell you how canada looks like even though i have not been there
    if is expensive there, then the photographer should charge enough to cover everything

fyi couple are willing to spend 20-30k for local wedding photographer for both AD+Bridal

yup, I believe the couple trusted TS skills.

Anyway its not that tough... just do some research (weather, locations, how to get to the locations etc) prior to the shoot... then it should be easy from there.

Most importantly is not to under charge the couple for the work done.

By the way this couple might also be from Singapore but would like to have their pre wedding shot done overseas. And maybe that's why they are bringing a Singaporean photographer there.
    Last edited by sinned79; 11th April 2012 at 03:25 PM.

Tell us some background info are you a wedding pro, if you are full time, general experience level, etc maybe can give you a better answers to your queries? Because its hard to give good answers with a vague background.

No one is going to tell you exactly how they charge as different people have different costs, different level of hunger and different level of talent and skills.

Basing your charge on what others do is disastrous.

At the same time we donno if you are actually a client checking out if your photog's charges are reasonable, any numbers you see here or from other photogs should not be used as benchmarks. If you are a client I advice you to select photog base on your liking of that person and his work, not based on few hundred dollars of price differences.
    Last edited by JasonB; 12th April 2012 at 01:42 AM.

Well if the couple trusts TS then I have nothing to say. But it is just a random approach I don't find it makes any sense, the couple could just ask a Canadian photog who got experience in Canada. Nothing beats a local who knows his country better than anyone else in the world. My 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz View Post
    Nothing beats a local who knows his country better than anyone else in the world. My 2 cents
    true to certain extent but not fully. google itself had lotsa of information already as long as TS is willing to do some research if the couple only wants him for the job.

besides its a style issue as well, perhaps the couple like TS's style (on top of his skills), this is not easily replicable by another photographer.
    Last edited by sinned79; 12th April 2012 at 01:08 PM.

Hi TS,

Airticket to Canada costs abt 2.2k ... Insurance costs abt $500 due to region ...
    Time to travel there abt 16 hours ... Time back another 16 hours ...

I was away in canada for 2 months last year as hv family there ... When reached there, i was down with Jetlag for 3 days,
    what happens if couple & you jetlag?

Domestic flights in canada has no budget airlines ... Land transportation costs not cheap ...
    Most popular areas for photography charges a fee for wedding shoots done on their property...
    In a single day depending where you go, only 2 locations may be viable even if you drive, provided you
    know the roads well ... It's Left Hand Drive as well. (I took 2 days to become accustomed to the roads)

Bro ... You'll be away at least 8~10 days provided you dont extend for your own holiday as well...

If self employed still ok .. But if you are under employment ... Can you take so many days off & is it worth the money?

I will be going to Canada again in December this year for 3 months ... Business when i am back will take 2 months to get back to normal flow...

I am a full time professional photographer and i'm just sharing the facts ...

Feel free to pm me if need further info ...

regards
    MO2

PS .. TS ..

I've shot overseas weddings in UK, Australia, Bali .. etc...

It's not easy but possible as long you do research in advance...

Prep for extra 3 days if weather not in favor when there ..

Bottomline ... All shots done are accountable & must work for couple as well ..

Maybe can do some asking around at bridal studios for an idea?

From what I've gathered so far, price ranges from $500/day for photographer and make up artist (total 2 pax) to $600-800/day/photographer & $600-800/day/makeup artist. This is on top of airfare, food and accomodation costs.
    My photo page: TDR Photography

Ehh !!

My price ranges from S$1,800 ~ S$2,800 daily depending on where the venue ...

Usually 2 days needed for shoot ...

There's also loading fee from S$500 ~ S$1000 for days traveling to/fro location ...

All these excludes airfares & accom that couple still have to pay ...

If the rates are not right, i wouldnt do it as local business opportunities will be lost ...

Quote Originally Posted by TheoDR View Post
    Maybe can do some asking around at bridal studios for an idea?

From what I've gathered so far, price ranges from $500/day for photographer and make up artist (total 2 pax) to $600-800/day/photographer & $600-800/day/makeup artist. This is on top of airfare, food and accomodation costs.

$500 per day is like kinda low... for example if locally u are charging $100 per hour... are u sure u gonna charge $500 per day while overseas? unless u going to shoot less then 5 hours.

m02's pricing looks more alright. but also due to the fact he is quite experienced. so at least half of what he is charging is more appropriate I find. That is provided TS is not too newbie nor very pro.

Hi Guys,
    thanks so much for the tips. It helped a lot!
    I certainly agree with a lot of what you guys said.
    Thanks~

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    $500 per day is like kinda low... for example if locally u are charging $100 per hour... are u sure u gonna charge $500 per day while overseas? unless u going to shoot less then 5 hours.

m02's pricing looks more alright. but also due to the fact he is quite experienced. so at least half of what he is charging is more appropriate I find. That is provided TS is not too newbie nor very pro.
    That is just what I gathered from a few bridal studios. Sorry, forgot to mention that those prices are on top of their wedding packages.
    My photo page: TDR Photography

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post

If for bridal studio it's likelyhood the photographers and MUA had been salary paid, the amount you are paying is the extra for them to go overseas...
    Though TS should not at all follow this rate if he is doing it for his business.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    If for bridal studio it's likelyhood the photographers and MUA had been salary paid, the amount you are paying is the extra for them to go overseas...
    Though TS should not at all follow this rate if he is doing it for his business.
    ok then this makes sense.

but TS better not charge this rate since he is on his own (as in his own biz)!