View Poll Results: Which one is correct?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/ (focal length)

58 46.77%
  • 1/ (focal length x crop factor)

66 53.23%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: POLL: 1/focal length rule

Default POLL: 1/focal length rule

Which do you think is the correct choice for this rule?
    eat. drink. shoot

use "1/resultant focal length" if u want to play safe.

1/ (focal length x crop factor) is more accurate. but this is just a guide. everyone's different.

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar
    Which do you think is the correct choice for this rule?
    it's not a rule, just a guide. i use 1/focal lenght to get a general idea but have gotten good shots using slower speeds as well.
    Today is a gift; that's why it's called the present.
    The toys

hmmm, interesting question.

what about those who are shooting in medium or large format? is it (1/equivalent of 35mm focal length) ?

hehehehe...have a merry xmas!

cheers
    Andrew

the rule/guide only applies to 35mm format. if you are using dslr, its the 1/focal length x crop factor.

Default ignore the crop factor in the equation....

Quote Originally Posted by BurgaFlippinMan
    the rule/guide only applies to 35mm format. if you are using dslr, its the 1/focal length x crop factor.
    Crop factor here is just the media capture area.......

rgds,
    sulhan

Well, just think of all those prosumers with those tiny sensor and huge crop factor, you think you can avoid camera shake at it's 200mm equivalent focal length by using 1/50 shutter speed b'cos it's actual focal length is around 50mm?

Perhaps due to the enlargement of the image, any defects due to camera movement are also enlarged similarly, thus requiring to take this crop factor into consideration?

Anyway, the 1/focal length is just a rough guide for 35mm photography...

I don't have a steady hand.. and when i shoot my D70+Sigma70-300APO is actually moving up down left right by 5-7mm.. But the image is sharp when enlarged 100% at 1/160 300mm ...once i change to any shutter lower can see movement liao.. 160 seem to be the lucky number..

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by kh_drew
    hmmm, interesting question.

what about those who are shooting in medium or large format? is it (1/equivalent of 35mm focal length) ?

hehehehe...have a merry xmas!

cheers
    Andrew
    as a guide, it should (1/their focal length). have not seen anyone using large format cameras handheld?

1/((focal length * crop factor)/3).

Get IS.

Lightbulb

care to explain?

i think the rule is shoot at the speed which you can handhold without shaking some people who follow the 1/focal length rule still can't get their technique right to hand hold properly which is the more important thing.

Quote Originally Posted by sulhan

rgds,
    sulhan

same thoughts, and the lens you use for 35mm x1.6 or not is the same. so I personally ignore the crop factor.

i dun like to compare against digicams cos the lens size used is not the same as SLR.

compare apples to apples

and the most important factor is to get your techique right, that these 'rules' can be broken as well.
    Last edited by Belle&Sebastain; 24th December 2004 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    i dun like to compare against digicams cos the lens size used is not the same as SLR.
    Lens size is not an issue, focal length is. A 50mm lens on a digicam would have the same magnification on a SLR if it could be fitted, albeit with vignetting.

Most digicams have a FOV crop factor of 4.x. So a 50mm gives a 200mm FOV. I don't think anyone gets reliable decent results at 200mm 1/50 with those cameras.

compare apples to apples
    No longer possible when DSLRs and SLRs are different both in imager size and CoC. It's akin to comparing a medium format to a 35mm in this case.

and the most important factor is to get your techique right, that these 'rules' can be broken as well.
    Agree.

1/(35mm equivalent focal length)

and of course there's IS/VR/AS

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    as a guide, it should (1/their focal length). have not seen anyone using large format cameras handheld?
    Done it at 1/125 and still sharp with my crown graphic will a rodenstock 150mm lens

Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer
    Lens size is not an issue, focal length is. A 50mm lens on a digicam would have the same magnification on a SLR if it could be fitted, albeit with vignetting.

Most digicams have a FOV crop factor of 4.x. So a 50mm gives a 200mm FOV. I don't think anyone gets reliable decent results at 200mm 1/50 with those cameras.

No longer possible when DSLRs and SLRs are different both in imager size and CoC. It's akin to comparing a medium format to a 35mm in this case.

Agree.

anyway its my own thoughts, i bo chap (do not care) this type of things one, the image is more important than this.
    Last edited by Belle&Sebastain; 24th December 2004 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sulhan

rgds,
    sulhan
    Actually even Minolta programmed the Dynax 7 Digital to use the 1/focal length x crop factor rule.

When using flash in aperture priority, the camera shutter speed is locked at shutter speed of 1/focal length x crop factor of slightly bigger than 1.5. You can check the difference between your 7D and your film 7, which follows the 1/focal length rule.

Cheers!

Anyway, I always uses 1/focal length becoz the multipler is just like a crop factor. If you shoot exactly at 1/focal length and crop at multiplication of factor using PS, I am sure you dun see blur motion either. Unless the general /focal length rule is wrong in the first place..

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast