Thread: Traveling to Tasmania during winter (17 - 23 June)

Default Traveling to Tasmania during winter (17 - 23 June)

I am interested to go to Tasmania after my business trip in Brisbane in June. Is it safe to self-drive during winter? I have experience driving in New Zealand South Island during summer and North Island during winter. I am wondering is there any difference between driving in Tasmania and NZ? I am a bit worry about the icy roads if any.

Btw, for this incoming Tasmania trip I will be traveling alone, anyone interested to go together?

Default Re: Traveling to Tasmania during winter (17 - 23 June)

IMO, Tasmania is one of the most beautiful places in Australia.
    Winter in Tasmania can be very cold, very different from Brisbane.. remember to bring extra warm clothing.
    Never been to NZ, but do be careful of the frosty roads in Tasmania... especially at night and early morning.

Went in 2008, was cold but yes safe
    Only had snow then ice on the roads near Cradle Mountain and Mt Wellington
    A lot more nocturnal animals than other parts, you'll see a lot more roadkill too
    Nightfall came quick, 4-ish can be pretty dark
    It's quiet and most other drivers seem to be traveling much fast, familiarity with the roads and bends perhaps
    We were mindful when it's close to 3.30 so that would give us some time to reach our accommodation
    Plan route and travel distances/times well

Remember taking the wrong turn (missed a signpost) and ended up on a lonely single-pass road leading nowhere
    With a cacophony of crickets chirping and cicadas singing, other insects came flying fluttering into our headlights (and smack into the windscreen)
    Positively creepy, I quickly pulled the sunroof cover shut, the moon so romantic moments ago seemed sinister now
    Worst ever three point turn experience, one side a cliff that fell to dark nothingness; the wife didn't think it was a great idea for me to step out and be the spotter

But it was a great great experience, felt like visiting a lost world
    We went without a plan, no accommodation booked, just look at map in the morning and decide where we'd end up for the night
    Fantastic winter deals on car rentals and even lodging; check out the websites and such
    >50% off when we reached at dusk, possibly because they know they'd have a super slim chance of renting out the leftover rooms for the night
    Last edited by Zichar; 10th April 2012 at 09:27 AM.
    -------------------------------
    Endure. In enduring grow strong.

Thanks all for the suggestions, I am really looking forward my Tasmania trip in June. My fiancee has finally decided to join me so I would be travelling alone. Hope I can get some good pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by cteckwee View Post
    Thanks all for the suggestions, I am really looking forward my Tasmania trip in June. My fiancee has finally decided to join me so I would be travelling alone. Hope I can get some good pictures.
    Have a nice and safe trip.. hope to see your wonderful pictures.

Can anyone suggest the best touring route? I am in a dilemma now, can't decide whether to take the west coast or eat coast route (from Hobart to Launceston).