Thread: Flash or Lense

Exclamation Flash or Lense

Guys,
    if you have only budget for one item this christmas which would you buy?

A- flash
    B- lense like 50mm f1.8 or tamron 90mm macro

I have a 28-80mm f2.8 lense now on my DSRL but i dun have any flash.
    Will be going for a trip soon. So was in a confused state as which to buy first.

Thanks

Deregistered

Hmmm consider changing your len to a WA like 18-35? Good and useful for landscapes, scenary whilst on the move?

Travelling don't need flash, travel the lighter the better, I'd bring a DSLR + WA along for travelling.

vince123123
    Guests

apart from the fact that you're travelling, I'd think it'll make more sense to get a flash than a 50 or 90mm given that you arleady have a 28-80 f2.8. IMHO, a flash is a ratehr essential piece of equipment unless you totally dont shoot indoors, if not, its more often than not, the third purchase after a body and a lens.

besides, if you're travelling and decide to take photos of indoor places, a flash could be useful as well.

i am using a Canon 10D currently. I like to take pics of flowers but do you think a macro lense is a must for flower shoot?

Probably need a wide angle lens ore than a 50 or 90mm. In a pinch, if you need to fill-flash for portraits, you can use the on-camera flash.

I would suggest to get a lens than a flash.
    And not everyone shoot flowers with macro lens. Only closeup shots of flowers "may" need a macro lens.

Quote Originally Posted by allenng
    Guys,
    if you have only budget for one item this christmas which would you buy?

A- flash
    B- lense like 50mm f1.8 or tamron 90mm macro

I have a 28-80mm f2.8 lense now on my DSRL but i dun have any flash.
    Will be going for a trip soon. So was in a confused state as which to buy first.

Thanks
    For me ... i will get the flash first. as your lens already can go up to 80mm already so why not get a flash first anyway 10mm is not much of a difference. so go for the FLASH.

CHEERS
    DSLR ALL THE WAY

i am using a Canon 10D currently. I like to take pics of flowers but do you think a macro lense is a must for flower shoot?
    If you are going to be taking macros infrequently, buy a close-up filter/extension tube instead. Cheaper, easier to slap on than changing lenses and much less weight.

If you are going for a trip and want to take some nice flower shots ( size like 5cm to 7cm ), you can try
    - Sigma 18-125mm F3.5-5.6 DC

It has a macro feature tt allows you to take closeup shot but not 1:1. Good enuff for orchid , etc

see my sample taken by Sigma 18-125

uncropped
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Sigma 18-125 is OK as a travel lens, wide to tele also have. For macro, you can even take insect like the pic below so flower should not be a problem. I think the lens also will not block the build in flash when in the wide position (At least for Nikon D70 without the hood). Very good for travel.

is that lense a macro lense?
    dont think so right?