Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Beautiful Eyes

  1. #1

    Default Beautiful Eyes

    1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Exposure, Contrast and Skin tone

    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    To portray the slight mysterious feel of the model's face with the eyes shown only.

    3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Mid day hot and bright sunlight after drizzling, feeling tired and dehydrating.

    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    Personally felt that it wasn't good enough to bring out the shine on the eyes, exposure maybe too bright.
    Believe a ring flash should be better? For bringing out the shine.

    Thank you in advance to brothers and sisters for any valuable c&c.

    Let Light Be My Power

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: Beautiful Eyes

    technically a good image but, watch out for those reflective surfaces used as a prop as it can cast an ugly hue to the main subject. In this case due to the reflection of the blue cloth, the talent face has an ugly blue cast. just my 2 cent

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cookisnap
    technically a good image but, watch out for those reflective surfaces used as a prop as it can cast an ugly hue to the main subject. In this case due to the reflection of the blue cloth, the talent face has an ugly blue cast. just my 2 cent
    Thanks for the tip bro. Will take note during future shoots.
    Let Light Be My Power

  4. #4

    Default Re: Beautiful Eyes

    Hi bro...

    the skin tone is off.. probably it is due to inaccurate white balance...

    to achieve ur objective, the viewer attention should be drawn to the eyes... but in this image, it is not. coz u have blown highlights, the "out of place" blue cloth and so on...

  5. #5

    Default Re: Beautiful Eyes

    Beautiful eyes, but the skin tone is quite pale..

  6. #6

    Default Re: Beautiful Eyes

    is it the make up or the eyes are unsharp?

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtunlinn
    Hi bro...

    the skin tone is off.. probably it is due to inaccurate white balance...

    to achieve ur objective, the viewer attention should be drawn to the eyes... but in this image, it is not. coz u have blown highlights, the "out of place" blue cloth and so on...
    Thanks bro, will take note white balance error. Harsh sunlight plus fill in flash probably diffuse the blue cloth color on her face.
    Let Light Be My Power

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rousnake
    Beautiful eyes, but the skin tone is quite pale..
    Her makeup and my flash probably increased the pale. But she is very fair skin originally.
    Let Light Be My Power

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chronos3
    is it the make up or the eyes are unsharp?
    Make up is rather thick, eyes when I zoomed in is quite sharp. Perhaps the contact lens which enhances pupil made the eyes looked blur. Just my guess.
    Let Light Be My Power

  10. #10

    Default Re: Beautiful Eyes

    Hey, I think that the colours on the image and the brightness does not contribute to the feel you want to achieve, which is mysterious if im not mistaken. If you look closely, you can see that the front of the face is of a different skin tone compared to the skin at the back of the face which may be because you used a flash in front of the cloth? I also feel you could have covered more of the face with the cloth Just my two cents on this .
    /?

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Immanuel
    Hey, I think that the colours on the image and the brightness does not contribute to the feel you want to achieve, which is mysterious if im not mistaken. If you look closely, you can see that the front of the face is of a different skin tone compared to the skin at the back of the face which may be because you used a flash in front of the cloth? I also feel you could have covered more of the face with the cloth Just my two cents on this .
    /?
    Thanks Joel, yes I believe the blue cloth cast the blue on her face. Other fellow members commented that too. I will try your suggestion to cover more of the face for mysterious feel in future shoots.
    Let Light Be My Power

  12. #12

    Default Re: Beautiful Eyes

    Too much highlights.. I think that's the main problem which causes the rest

  13. #13

    Default Re: Beautiful Eyes

    Quote Originally Posted by MichelleElle View Post
    Too much highlights.. I think that's the main problem which causes the rest
    thanks Michelle for the tip. i will take note. you got many nice works there that feels like in a dream.
    Let Light Be My Power

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore, Hougang
    Posts
    21

    Default Re: Beautiful Eyes

    This photo looks very dreamy but like what everyone else here had pointed out - her skin tone is a little weird.
    I actually don't get why she wants to over her mouth with the blue fabric though. :| The photo does invoke a sense of mystery but I can't really connect with it on a personal level. Sorry.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broylim
    This photo looks very dreamy but like what everyone else here had pointed out - her skin tone is a little weird.
    I actually don't get why she wants to over her mouth with the blue fabric though. :| The photo does invoke a sense of mystery but I can't really connect with it on a personal level. Sorry.
    Thanks bro. Skin tone is a major problem for me to adjust to. Perhaps I should pp it to a little warmer color. The cloth is actually part of her clothing, no prop that day.
    Let Light Be My Power

  16. #16

    Default

    May I ask if anyone could advice me skintone should be same color as the subject or there is a certain level of color to represent skintone? I am still quite confuse what could be a good skintone. Thank you in advance, hope to improve myself further.
    Let Light Be My Power

  17. #17

    Default Re: Beautiful Eyes

    Accurate skin tones = as long as it looks pleasing and natural. Look at your original photo, her hands are yellow but her face is pink with slight blu-ish tint.



    5 mins play in Photoshop, you can easily equalize the skin tones on her face by blending layers... look more natural that way.

    p/s: drop me a PM if you want me to remove the edited pic.
    Last edited by yrh0413; 17th April 2012 at 09:29 AM. Reason: edited photo removed
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413
    Accurate skin tones = as long as it looks pleasing and natural. Look at your original photo, her hands are yellow but her face is pink with slight blu-ish tint.

    5 mins play in Photoshop, you can easily equalize the skin tones on her face by blending layers... look more natural that way.

    p/s: drop me a PM if you want me to remove the edited pic.
    Oh my, all along I have been shooting blindly without noticing the skintone difference. So many million thanks to you bro for showing the light. I will keep this pic as a reference and remind myself. You may remove it if is fine with you. Thanks so much again
    Let Light Be My Power

  19. #19

    Default Re: Beautiful Eyes

    removed as per request
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •