Thread: Uploads to Facebook

Default Uploads to Facebook

I noticed that my photos uploaded to Facebook are not as sharp as seen in my MacBook. Is there any compression settings I need to do when converting my raw files to jpeg? Example dpi 72, picture resolution, dimensions. If yes, what's the optimum settings?

Default Re: Uploads to Facebook

long side 750 pixels, save as high quality image in FB.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

facebook is really compressed even when high quality is selected. Just leave it low so people cant take your photos

FYI, facebook is for social networking, not a photo sharing site, it compress photos like nobody business, there is nothing much you can do about it.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Yea..the Image quality drops alot once you upload onto facebook. Its normal. Few months ago before the update... if you re-size your pic down to 800px (longer length) The pic will appear much better than if you dont re-size at all. (eg. 4592X3056). Now..seems like it dosent matter already. Re-size or not. Once upload onto the facebook site. Its the same. So dont bother. (The high quality at the bottom...dont seems to be any better as well)

All in All... Yea...once uploaded IQ sure drop.. But dont worry...many of your friends would still probably LIKE the pictures. lol...

Part of things that are free lor.
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

use proper sites like flickr if u want to use it to showcase your photos.

didn't really notice it.. guess i am not very observant... i am using FB as my primary photo sharing site.. i like FB as i can tag ppl and there is interaction..

Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    didn't really notice it.. guess i am not very observant... i am using FB as my primary photo sharing site.. i like FB as i can tag ppl and there is interaction..
    iirc, facebook has the rights to use your photos without your consent. That was the last time i've seen the T&C.

Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    flickr does that too but its not really social media based...

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79

flickr does that too but its not really social media based...
    Ya I know.. How many hv flickr acct compare to fb u see...

after some thoughts, i think i should go back to flickr... it remains the largest photo sharing site (am i right?)

there are lots of groups where i can share my photos... which fb lack now..

but i really don't like the idea of paying $30 per year for a pro account.. haha..

Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100
    after some thoughts, i think i should go back to flickr... it remains the largest photo sharing site (am i right?)

there are lots of groups where i can share my photos... which fb lack now..

but i really don't like the idea of paying $30 per year for a pro account.. haha..
    I guess it's pretty worth it if you treat it as a backup. Unlimited uploads with pro account and you can have access to your original files anywhere as long as you have a net connection.

Quote Originally Posted by leadin2
    I noticed that my photos uploaded to Facebook are not as sharp as seen in my MacBook. Is there any compression settings I need to do when converting my raw files to jpeg? Example dpi 72, picture resolution, dimensions. If yes, what's the optimum settings?
    Upload your images as PNG. Don't use JPEG. While it is not as good as what you will find in Flickr, the PNG upload will have better quality than JPEG. Try it and see for yourself.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

Quote Originally Posted by David Kwok

Upload your images as PNG. Don't use JPEG. While it is not as good as what you will find in Flickr, the PNG upload will have better quality than JPEG. Try it and see for yourself.
    But do I need to resize or drop my dpi?

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79
    use proper sites like flickr if u want to use it to showcase your photos.
    Ya, agree.
    I am using Flickr to exhibit certain collections.
    But I think Facebook is still the place to share photos for certain events and share as private group etc.

Just can't stand the IQ degrade in Facebook...