Thread: question about metering....

Default question about metering....

hi,

just like to ask about metering.....

i am using a D70 and i understand that matrix metering works most of the time....

but i came across a tricky situation yesterday and nned your advice on this:

question 1. if the back is very bright, and the person is dark, like: sun behind him, using matrix metering will underexpose the person right?

question 2. so using center weight is also not good cause will underexpose the person right?

question 3. is it right to say that i should use spot metering and external flash on him?

question 4. how should the external flash be directed if the ceiling super super high, like 5 meters, and no walls? bounce card? or direct the flash at him with omnibounce on?

thanks in advance
    Hope to learn from everyone here....

Hi erictan888...

gd questions.. i also want to know.. hope there will be some expert explain to us.. haha..

by the way, u online so early?

hee hee... thinking about this the whole night... can't sleep leh...
    read the manual also dun quite understand... check the web, the answers like not so specific to what i aking... so ask the experts here....
    Hope to learn from everyone here....

I hope to answer Question 1:

If the background is bright, I will expose for the background but I will use flash at ~-1to-0.7FEC to expose for the human subject. FEC depends on the distance of the subject... (Basically thats how I overcome this problem).. And since I shoot digital, I can adjust flash power in the field instantly.

I dont how the pros do it though, could someone help?

Yes you can use spot metering and meter at the face.. add some fill flash or get a reflector to bounce some light onto the face...

Blog Entries

question 1. if the back is very bright, and the person is dark, like: sun behind him, using matrix metering will underexpose the person right?

Normally yes.

question 2. so using center weight is also not good cause will underexpose the person right?

Normally yes

question 3. is it right to say that i should use spot metering and external flash on him?

If you spot meter on the face, you will get a correct exposure of the face but the background will be over exposed. Not good

question 4. how should the external flash be directed if the ceiling super super high, like 5 meters, and no walls? bounce card? or direct the flash at him with omnibounce on?

I would expose for the background, so that it will not be over exposed.
    And use a fill in flash to add light to the subject. Experiment on the different settings and use the one that you like the most.

Hi ortega,

I refer to your answer to qn#3 regarding spot-metering.

What if I spot-meter the face, then stop down 2 stops and use flash, do you think this will be a better method?

Or should I meter the both the face and the background, and take the average?

I mean I also don't know.....seeking your advice...thanks.
    Last edited by Ah_Seng; 23rd December 2004 at 08:57 PM.

Aiya, if want to use flash just set to matrix and ttl-bl flash lah. No need to adjust anything leh. Picture will be exposed correctly with fill in.
    No need to spot and stop down.
    If don't want to use flash than different mah.

meter the sky,say F16 250s

then set ur flash at F16+distance of subject for a balanced pic or F11 for fill in.

make sure ur flash is powerful enuff to cover that distance at that f stop..
    pop up flash will have problem filling in,need a powerful flash like SB-series..

Quote Originally Posted by kex
    meter the sky,say F16 250s

then set ur flash at F16+distance of subject for a balanced pic or F11 for fill in.

make sure ur flash is powerful enuff to cover that distance at that f stop..
    pop up flash will have problem filling in,need a powerful flash like SB-series..
    Thanks kex...