Thread: Changing lens on-the-move

Default Changing lens on-the-move

Assuming wearing photog vest capable of holding lens. Can I know how you change lenses with an aim of minimising exposure of the mount to dust?

usually i open the rear cap of lens first.. den standby at the body and take off body cap den put the lens on..

Deregistered

no particular way i know of, because the lens will be exposed to a dust-carrying medium

personally, i use my camera bag to hold the lens with the rear end open, and change asap - first lens goes into bag, out come 2nd to put in other lens (one hand method), or left hand grabs mounted lens and dismounts it, while right hand pulls out other lens from bag and mounts on.

standby and turn away from wind...using back as a windshield...

no worries la...i always change lens and dust prob is not tt serious..

1) unmount lens with left hand
    2) slowly open bag with right hand, let camera hang by my side
    3) find rear lenscap
    4) talk c**k sing song with friends
    5) mount rear lens cap
    6) put lens into bag
    7) find 2nd lens
    8) slowly unmount rear lens cap
    9) find the dots on the cam and lens
    10) slowly mount new lens

no problem with dust, even at beach

Quote Originally Posted by quekky
    no problem with dust, even at beach
    You forgot the , quekky

For newbies reading this, SLRs + beach sand (especially fine sand being blown up by a brisk seabreeze) definitely = trip to camera repair shop, almost guaranteed. Don't have to take my word for it, though ...

Back on topic for yaoxing ... I agree with Witness, that's what I do as well. All you can do is minimize exposure to the elements, and try not to change lenses if you can. If dust is being kicked up all around you, look for a "safe" environment to do this in, eg. the vehicle you came in, a nearby shelter, etc.

get a body comes with Ultrasonic Dust Reduction system
    so no worries of dust get into the body when changing lens
    Cheer,

Quote Originally Posted by ericp
    You forgot the , quekky

For newbies reading this, SLRs + beach sand (especially fine sand being blown up by a brisk seabreeze) definitely = trip to camera repair shop, almost guaranteed. Don't have to take my word for it, though ...

Back on topic for yaoxing ... I agree with Witness, that's what I do as well. All you can do is minimize exposure to the elements, and try not to change lenses if you can. If dust is being kicked up all around you, look for a "safe" environment to do this in, eg. the vehicle you came in, a nearby shelter, etc.
    for me i just open the back and blow all over the place

I try not to do it standing.

My stuff is usually in a minitrekker. Take off the minitrekker, put it on the floor, unzip it.

Take the lens off the camera, slip it into an empty compartment, with the rear end sticking up.

Quickly unscrew the rear cap from the lens I want to change to, and screw that onto the lens I have just taken off.

Take the new lens and mount it on the camera.

Zip up the bag, put it on my back.

You'd be surprised how fast all this can be achieved. And no danger of dropping a lens on the floor - isn't that worth a few extra seconds?

Sorry if the instructions sound a bit obscene (after I have re-read them). To the pure, all things are pure.

Quote Originally Posted by yaoxing
    Assuming wearing photog vest capable of holding lens. Can I know how you change lenses with an aim of minimising exposure of the mount to dust?
    You are worrying too much!

Olympus E-1 and E-300.

Buy! Buy! Buy!

Wink

Turn off the power switch when you change len, as electric charge will cause dust to collect on the CCD.

Deregistered

Switch first, worry about dust later. Getting the shot is more impt