Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Dull print outs from slide film

  1. #1

    Default Dull print outs from slide film

    Hi guys,

    Badly need some help here. Previously, I had some slide film developed at RGB. When I brought the slides home, the colours looked great when viewed over a light box.

    Happily, I went to have selected slides printed out at Colour Lab, but most of them turned out dull (not bright enough). Is this unusual or is there a problem with my exposure that I am experiencing this?

    A friend told me that it is not unusual that slide films are underexposed ... but I don't know how much I should believe him as he only uses negative films.

    These are my first batch of pictures taken with slide films, not sure what to do now, but I'm really getting that sinking feeling now.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    I am told slide films usually print a bit darker, so slides to be printed should be shot at +1/3 EV. Don't forget that when viewed through a light box, you are viewing the slide via transmitted light. This makes the slides very vibrant. Once printed, you are viewing via reflected light, which will be duller than the original slide.

    Regards
    CK

  3. #3

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang
    I am told slide films usually print a bit darker, so slides to be printed should be shot at +1/3 EV. Don't forget that when viewed through a light box, you are viewing the slide via transmitted light. This makes the slides very vibrant. Once printed, you are viewing via reflected light, which will be duller than the original slide.
    Thanks ckiang. I think that was the idea my friend was trying to convey to me. But I really like some of the pictures and need to have them blown up to 8R.

    What should I do then? Scan the slides, brighten them in Photoshop and then have them printed? Would there be any loss in quality?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by Pandora


    Thanks ckiang. I think that was the idea my friend was trying to convey to me. But I really like some of the pictures and need to have them blown up to 8R.

    What should I do then? Scan the slides, brighten them in Photoshop and then have them printed? Would there be any loss in quality?
    That will probably be a good idea. Scan them using a good film scanner, not those flat bed + film adaptor. Do your necessary adjustments, applying the required amount of USM, then send it in for digital printing.

    Regards
    CK

  5. #5

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang


    Do your necessary adjustments, applying the required amount of USM , then send it in for digital printing.

    Regards
    CK
    Sorry, can you kindly tell me what USM stands for?

  6. #6

    Default

    Originally posted by Pandora


    Sorry, can you kindly tell me what USM stands for?
    UnSharpen Mask
    Ultra Sonic Motor
    ultra Super Man


  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang
    I am told slide films usually print a bit darker, so slides to be printed should be shot at +1/3 EV. Don't forget that when viewed through a light box, you are viewing the slide via transmitted light. This makes the slides very vibrant. Once printed, you are viewing via reflected light, which will be duller than the original slide.

    Regards
    CK
    Erm and just who told you this wives tale about slides printing darker?
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  8. #8
    ClubSNAP Idol Adam Goi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    5,682

    Default

    Originally posted by Xpose


    UnSharpen Mask
    Ultra Sonic Motor
    ultra Super Man

    UnSharp Mask

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by Ian


    Erm and just who told you this wives tale about slides printing darker?
    I can't remember, not someone from ClubSNAP, and definitely not from the lab. But I never had problems with printing correctly exposed slides (as opposed to overexposing +1/3EV).

    Regards
    CK

  10. #10

    Default

    I have tried printing slide to 8R print before too, yes , it is darker...

  11. #11

    Default

    Originally posted by ninelives
    I have tried printing slide to 8R print before too, yes , it is darker...
    Have you tried printing in 4 or 5R?
    BTW, the lab you referring to is KJ colorlab?
    Me, thought of printing from slide as well.

  12. #12
    Jerome
    Guests

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang
    I am told slide films usually print a bit darker, so slides to be printed should be shot at +1/3 EV. Don't forget that when viewed through a light box, you are viewing the slide via transmitted light. This makes the slides very vibrant. Once printed, you are viewing via reflected light, which will be duller than the original slide.

    Regards
    CK
    There were only 2 times when I did slides to print and had no probs. R u sure it is a recommended advice to shoot at +1/3 for slides if u want to print them? How will u ever know whether the slides which u took will be printed in the future? If u're sure, then u'll prob use print films in the first place.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default

    Over exposing a slide film won't help at all with producing a more vibrant print on paper.

    If your getting dull prints back from the lab then demand they reprint it and if they can't get it right start looking for a new lab.

    The reasons you get a darker print (short version) are as follows;

    The 'channel' on the printer isn't correctly or accurately setup. This is a common problem with most mini-labs. - This covers a multitude of sins ranging from using incorrect densitometer test targets to used 'old' dichroic lamps, insufficient and sloppy maintainance of channel profiles etc.

    The person doing the printing (printer) is incompetent, lazy or both.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  14. #14

    Default

    yep, sometime RGB does screw up jobs.. The technician keep moving ard from branches to branches and not very consistent at times. Either go headquarter or go spectra.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by Jerome


    There were only 2 times when I did slides to print and had no probs. R u sure it is a recommended advice to shoot at +1/3 for slides if u want to print them? How will u ever know whether the slides which u took will be printed in the future? If u're sure, then u'll prob use print films in the first place.
    No, I don't recommend +1/3 EV. I prefer to have my slides correctly exposed. I only tried Slide to Print twice, in 2 different labs and the results are okay for both.

    Regards
    CK

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •