Thread: what do the numbers mean?

Unhappy what do the numbers mean?

I send my photos for commercial development. I notice there are 5 digits which I suspect are the settings, but I am not sure. The shop I go to only vary the last digit and sometimes the second last digit as well. So the numbers usually appear as "N N N N 2". Sometimes it is N N N 1 2 and so on. Can someone please explain what these represent? I am not too happy with the colours of my photos, the shots I overexpose tend to come back really dark from the shop.
    Thank you.

This has been discussed before

Click here to find out more about NNNN
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

thanks Ian.
    So it means I am at the mercy of the photo developer then. Most of the photos I took this round are rather washed out, the blue skies come out clear white. The flowers less vibrant in colours. Maybe should blame on my own skill rather than the shop?
    Any recommendation on which photo developing shop to patronise? Thanks.

Midnight
    Guests

Originally posted by currahee
    Most of the photos I took this round are rather washed out, the blue skies come out clear white. The flowers less vibrant in colours. Maybe should blame on my own skill rather than the shop?
    PMFJI, but these sound like the kind of conditions when you might find a polarising filter to be very helpful. You might want to consider getting one for your outdoor photography needs.
    Any recommendation on which photo developing shop to patronise?
    I usually use FotoHub. Not only are their staff very professional, their prices are also generally cheaper than Kodak Express and Fujifilm outlets because they don't charge handling fees. The only drawback is that their shop is in the CBD area, so it might be a little inaccessible if you don't work in the vicinity but want to self-collect your photos.

thanks Ian.
    So it means I am at the mercy of the photo developer then. Most of the photos I took this round are rather washed out, the blue skies come out clear white. The flowers less vibrant in colours. Maybe should blame on my own skill rather than the shop?
    Without seeing examples it's very hard to comment on exactly what's going on. However a couple of questions to get the ball rolling.

Camera/Lens used
    Film used
    Weather conditions when photos were taken.
    Time of day pix taken.

Sorry I can't recommend a lab in Singapore as I don't live in your city, however there's much discussion on this forum about good labs so it's worth reading some of older threads.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Midnight: thanks for recommending the shop. heard of fotohub but din know location, now i do. will also look at old threads like Ian suggested on where people process their photos in singapore.

i do have a polariser filter, still figuring out when to use it. any rule of thumb?

Ian: thanks for your advice. till i get my hand on a scanner to let you see my photos... i am using a minolta x300s completely manual with fuji 200. weather is cloudy sometimes hence those shots i can understand washed out skies but i am pretty sure there were a few clear days and blue skies.

also question about using close-up filter, i just started playing with one. what aperture and speed should i be using? i had this shot of a ladybird on a flower and the colour is really dark, can't remember now what settings i used but that was the only one, the others turn out alright. i am also not too good with composing the photo when i use the close-up filter.

thanks Ian.
    One suggestion: Take one of your 'washed out' pictures and have it printed in 2 other different labs. The thing is you will probably find differences in color/brightness/contrast in the prints.
    If all prints appear the same (washed out), then it could be over-exposure...