Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Which country are Canon 300D and Nikon D70 made in?

  1. #1

    Default Which country are Canon 300D and Nikon D70 made in?

    Anyone out there has any idea which country are 300D and D70 made in?
    I'm sorry if this question has been posted before.

  2. #2

    Default

    I know the D70 is made in Thailand. Not too sure about the 300D though.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    300Ds are mostly made in Taiwan if I'm not wrong.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    300Ds are mostly made in Taiwan if I'm not wrong.
    Hmm .. how come its stated "Made In Japan"?

  5. #5

    Default

    does it matter?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,358

    Default

    Since most parts are outsourced by manufacturers all over the planet, the politically correct label for the D70 and 300D and everything else should be 'MADE ON EARTH'
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    In the void.
    Posts
    1,323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL
    Hmm .. how come its stated "Made In Japan"?
    There are actually 2 batches, I've seen made in Taiwan and made in Japan batches in Singapore.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Jurong West
    Posts
    184

    Default

    mine is made in japan

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    669

    Default

    My 300D is Made in Japan too


    Quote Originally Posted by glyuen
    mine is made in japan

  10. #10

    Default

    Made In Japan
    Jia Wang... "A photo is only as beautiful as the photographer's eyes can see."
    My Eyes ;)

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    GEYLAND LOR 15 LO
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by popeye
    does it matter?
    Sometimes it does makes a diff!
    Imagine would one want to buy a IWC watch when it is made in Taiwan or China? Think about it!

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    CCK
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XXX Boy
    Sometimes it does makes a diff!
    Imagine would one want to buy a IWC watch when it is made in Taiwan or China? Think about it!
    Is your prejudice based on fact or speculation? Maybe the Taiwanese made one will be of better quality? Was just reading the recent CAR magazine ratings for automobile reliability, Hyundai beats beloved GERMAN manufacturers like BMW and Audi.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    GEYLAND LOR 15 LO
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkw
    Is your prejudice based on fact or speculation? Maybe the Taiwanese made one will be of better quality? Was just reading the recent CAR magazine ratings for automobile reliability, Hyundai beats beloved GERMAN manufacturers like BMW and Audi.
    IWC watches are not made in Taiwan or China, I just use it as an example. And I am sure that noone would gotta buy if it is made in Taiwan or China unless it is selling much cheaper.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default

    why should it be seller cheaper? What you have paid for is the brand itself and not the location it was supposed to be made in. China and Taiwan technology and product quality standards are fast catching up. There are many professional equipment that are on sale in the market now are made in China. Made in China means it is manufactured there. The QC standards employed are set by the manufacturers.

    Good or lousy prouducts not an indication of "made-in-where" but "made-by-who"
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Bukit Panjang
    Posts
    310

    Default

    What I know is, D70 parts are made in Japan and they ship all the parts to Thailand to assamble it. So to me the quarity is still made in Japan, and should still be good.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    GEYLAND LOR 15 LO
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ak6110
    What I know is, D70 parts are made in Japan and they ship all the parts to Thailand to assamble it. So to me the quarity is still made in Japan, and should still be good.
    I dun think so! I believe nowadays outsourcing is from all over the world. I would not be surprised to find out that even the top of the line Nikon F6 have parts and components made in China or Taiwan.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    669

    Default

    IMHO, as the labor in Thailand is cheaper as compared to Japan (doesn't mean lower quality) , that is one of the many reasons why Nikon could price the D70 at a very competitive rate...like Altis of Toyota etc etc.........

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    why should it be seller cheaper? What you have paid for is the brand itself and not the location it was supposed to be made in. China and Taiwan technology and product quality standards are fast catching up. There are many professional equipment that are on sale in the market now are made in China. Made in China means it is manufactured there. The QC standards employed are set by the manufacturers.

    Good or lousy prouducts not an indication of "made-in-where" but "made-by-who"

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    why should it be seller cheaper? What you have paid for is the brand itself and not the location it was supposed to be made in.
    Good or lousy prouducts not an indication of "made-in-where" but "made-by-who"
    Agree with u on the rest of the world catching up thing... but your 1st question disturb me greatly...
    "why should it be selling cheaper?"
    why are these countries outsourcing? Cos its cheaper there... cheaper land cost, labour cost, tax incentives, cheaper everything... And that results in brands being able to offer consumers a similar product at a more attractive price, or put in more value at a same price tag, for a better product : stay competitive..
    why should i pay for a brand? a brand does nothing for me other than a feel good factor for being "in", "rich", "fashionable"... Its the QUALITY assurance that a certain brand offers, thru to its aftersales service, that warrants a VALUE of a brand..
    And since we are on the topic of QUALITY, sometimes the social mentality of the staff is important as well. Take for example this relief effort for the Tsunami victims.. People are more willing to donate to reputable organisations even when compared to donating to the indonesian military who are helping with the relief efforts on the ground. Its because of people's perception that the aids will not be passed down to the victims, or there will be loss via the distribution channel due to corruption,greed etc.. Thus, though relief WILL be passed down, the people who we entrust to "produce" determine the QUALITY of the final result.
    thus i totally agree on your statement :<not made in where but made by who> However, the location do play a big part in who the people are...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •