Thread: any need for "storage banks" now?

Default any need for "storage banks" now?

Microdia has launched a 8Gb CF with a 140X speed ......
    Is there any more need for those storage banks now?

You should be able to view it at a road show @ next to Heeren from today.

>>www.microdia.com
    always the Light, .... always.

it's the cost also, not just the storage capacity. eg, a 40GB drive costs much less than a 8GB card and could store a lot more raw files.
    Last edited by mpenza; 22nd December 2004 at 10:10 AM.

8GB CF.... I wonder how much izzit compared to Data Storage Banks...

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    it's the cost also, not just the storage capacity. eg, a 40GB drive costs much less than a 8GB card and could store a lot more raw files.
    I have a storage bank and i find that's clumsy and irritating when i bring it oversea coz i need to bring along a charger, plug, etc and have an inferior feeling about not properly loaded the images before i delete them in my cards, etc.... But with a 8 GB, i think i can go shooting for about a week without any fear coz i can actually check thru the pics when back to hotel and i believe is so much lighter and more convienent.....
    of course the $$$ invested is one factor to consider.
    always the Light, .... always.

how much does it cost? The website does not provide any pricing for any of their products.

Testing one of these currently for portable power.
    Emergency power for all device, it will also charge the device when plug in to AC so no need to carry different charger as well.

http://www.nlone.com/default.htm or
    http://www.zapworld.com/PE/ZAPPE.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised
    I have a storage bank and i find that's clumsy and irritating when i bring it oversea coz i need to bring along a charger, plug, etc and have an inferior feeling about not properly loaded the images before i delete them in my cards, etc.... But with a 8 GB, i think i can go shooting for about a week without any fear coz i can actually check thru the pics when back to hotel and i believe is so much lighter and more convienent.....
    Last edited by Dennis; 22nd December 2004 at 11:35 AM.

Interesting.

Does it work on DSLRs?

Just checked the DC in to the D70 connection seems to be different. I don't have a plug to plug into the D70. Seems to work for PDA, handphones, Archos etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Interesting.

Does it work on DSLRs?

it's the reason why I didn't have a storage bank yet I just take pics at slightly lower quality if I need to take more. so far it's been working well Large jpg, normal compression on the 20D seems like a good compromise. I could squeeze >1k pics on a 2GB card.

Agreed with you, I got a 30GB storage device that cost less than 1K.

Now with the CF card capacity getting larger and larger, wonder how much is the $$$, worth or not worth to invest is the question ??
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

There's the iPod as a storage bank if u feel like getting one

erm, so has anyone found out about this from the roadshows yet? Like price and reliability.. haven't heard of ppl using microdia CF cards before. Hi-capacity CF cards are real cool esp when you are on longer trips overseas. No need to stress over space constraints!

Spotted posters in Tampines in the morning, but disappeared in the afternoon!
    Macro Photography in SG - http://sgmacro.blogspot.com | Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/sgmacro

storage banks (especially those USB-powered ones) are still going to be useful as it will be cheaper on a Mb basis (given the same product launch point). plus you would leave your storage back with your laptop (assume you travel with one for editing, that's why storage bank should be USB powered) in the hotel while you go out shooting. this way your images are secured while your camera and BIG BIG CF cards are always in danger of being stolen, robbed or damaged.