Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you were to choose for your career like me, what is your choice?

Unhappy If you were to choose for your career like me, what is your choice?

Choice A: MNC company - Role A & Role B @ salary A

Choice B: Big Local SME - Role A & Role B + Head of Department @ salary A + $300

Factors: MNC Annual leave is 18, SME is 10.
    MNC has own canteen with subsidized lunch, SME eat outside.
    MNC provide company transport, SME has to take own public transport.
    MNC got better medical benefits compared to SME.

Which is better choice A or choice B? and why?

Default Re: If you were to choose for your career like me, what is your choice?

choice A After a few years....go to SME with MNC experience

If you don't intend to stay put, go for Choice A - MNC. After a while, move somewhere else.
    If you intend to stay put, go for Choice B - SME. There is a chance that MNC may disappear overnight.
    Anyway, since SME gives you additional $300, 20 days per month, works out to be $15 per day thus can cancel out the subsidized lunch and company transport.

MNC. more experience. which, when you go over to a local SME you might be able to bargain for more pay. more than the extra $300

I already have 10 years experience in MNC. I am currently working in Choice A for 8 mths in Role C @ salary A. I wanted to resign and they offer me Role A and Role B maintain @salary A. Choice A with Role A and Role B requires occasionally flying to south East Asia region. Choice B only travel to JB and Batam.
    Last edited by MARTIN1023; 5th April 2012 at 06:24 AM.
    ?

I'm sorry if this sounds unfriendly.

The options aren't complex and $300 isn't big money but if you have problems figuring out the answer, would you really be able to run as the dept head?

Wow you got a 'happy' problem here. I doubt anyone here can simply give you a piece of right advice based on what you have written. More importantly it is your feel and what you want to do. I am quite sure deep inside you, you already has an answer but just want a '2nd opinion'.

It is important to expose yourself to different settings. There will always be pros and cons, you just need to take away what best for you while you are there. 10 years with a company is long enough. If you have not been given opportunity, it is time to move on. There isn't many 10 years.

Whatever decision you made, go for it and make the best out of it. Good luck.

Choice B sounds like PCK pte ltd

Must be a comfortable 10 years in MNC w/o much challenge. Is time to opt for B!

Quote Originally Posted by liteon View Post
    Must be a comfortable 10 years in MNC w/o much challenge. Is time to opt for B!
    my 10 years in mnc is not one company alone. i spend 8mths in current company only.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by MARTIN1023 View Post

Choice B: Big Local SME - Role A & Role B + Head of Department @ salary A + $300

MNC to SME is like going from big DSLR to small sensor camera

Some people like SME because less politics and more challenging ( everything do by yourself )

Some people like MNC because more benefits.

If your life in MNC is boring you, it means you belong to SME

Just do what you love and love what you do
    I eats, shoots & leaves

Don't think so much. The idea of choosing to do what you love is romantic fiction. Wake up to the real world.

I choose choice A..

Neither.

I'll only work in for the government in public service for obvious benefits and advancement.

Which one allows you to visit camera shops during office hours?
    Fuji X100s, Tamron 17-50 f2.8 vc, Nikon 55-200mm, 35mm 1.8f

Join the SME and turn it into a MNC.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by LBL2009 View Post
    Which one allows you to visit camera shops during office hours?
    ... and allows the tea lady to pose for you as model?

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I'll only work in for the government in public service for obvious benefits and advancement.
    Ditto that.
    Objection !!!

I already have 10 years experience in MNC. I am currently working in Choice A for 8 mths in Role C @ salary A. I wanted to resign and they offer me Role A and Role B maintain @salary A. Choice A with Role A and Role B requires occasionally flying to south East Asia region. Choice B only travel to JB and Batam.
    Very obvious, choice B. because JB has lots of good food

I had similar offer like yours and I opt for MMC... of cos I was not offered HOD la.
    SME pays you abit more but requires you to be HOD which is alot more responsiblities.

$300 is a small amount, an yearly increment in an MMC for senior executive or management is way more than this.
    Even one or two months and sometimes more given out by MMC in bonuses makes a huge diff.

MMC benefits are normally better and yearly increment/bonus wise, typically they can give out more.
    MMC is better for your resume too.

I think MMC is a better choice unless there are other factors telling you otherwise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast