Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grammar Nazis!!

Default Grammar Nazis!!

While CS is an informal forum and not meant to be a display of impeccable English, sometimes one simply cannot resist spotting all the horrible mistakes being made!

Here are some examples of bad english:

1. 'loose' instead of 'lose' - if I convert to JPEG, will I loose the details?

2. 'len' and 'lense' instead of 'lens' and 'lenses' - hi I have a len for sale, can trade for your lense

Any others you guys noticed?

Default Re: Grammar Nazis!!

I noticed but it doesn't bother me. For many here, English might not be their native language and they are not proficient in it. As long as we can understand what they are trying to say, I think its fine.

"shuttle"

Ok lar. I talk, you understand, can lar!

micro or marco instead of macro..
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Photogenic View Post
    That one is typo la

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Photogenic View Post
    Actually, "Micro" is the correct term when you are talking about nikon lenses.

HORSE SHOE.

WHERE TO GET HORSE SHOE COVER

WHAT SHUTTLE SPEED TO USE

Quote Originally Posted by Sispecho View Post
    That one is typo la
    Quote Originally Posted by snowc View Post
    Actually, "Micro" is the correct term when you are talking about nikon lenses.
    oh.. i see.. my apologies then..
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    WHAT SHUTTLE SPEED TO USE
    I remember this post... epic!

who cares about bad English? it's not like singaporeans are proficient in English. most of the "high class" locals try to fake a British or American accent. laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by spawnx
    While CS is an informal forum and not meant to be a display of impeccable English, sometimes one simply cannot resist spotting all the horrible mistakes being made!

Here are some examples of bad english:

1. 'loose' instead of 'lose' - if I convert to JPEG, will I loose the details?

2. 'len' and 'lense' instead of 'lens' and 'lenses' - hi I have a len for sale, can trade for your lense

Any others you guys noticed?
    Tsgss djdjeeo siekeba ejeiahave iejehdbw skdheb sisvsjsod rktkdhwhi ifjdjdo kfjwjajeisji jrkfjsjdofk kdjrieuqofjdj kwjdjdjak ksjdjxkdhdj jsjg yoyoa age yoybs e ykyua re ceapa d you sixksbsbsba suxkehrhsnsjsjsbfnhou a r s shsif the fjxcjsbs tjp. Ok?
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    who cares about bad English? it's not like singaporeans are proficient in English. most of the "high class" locals try to fake a British or American accent. laughable.
    Then why bother going to school in the first place to study if it's alright to not be proficient in the country's main business language. In the end, you are no better than an immigrant who does not think taking up the language is important and expect others to understand you.

At the end of the day, you will be mocked alongside those who cannot who don't know the difference between knowing their **** and they're ****. It's not acceptable.
    Last edited by dodgethis; 5th April 2012 at 08:06 AM.
    Canon 5D MkIII|70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM|24-70 f2.8 L II USM|Σ 50 f1.4 EX DG HSM

Quote Originally Posted by dodgethis

Then why bother going to school in the first place to study if it's alright to not be proficient in the country's main business language. In the end, you are no better than an immigrant who does not think taking up the language is important and expect others to understand you.

At the end of the day, you will be mocked alongside those who cannot who don't know the difference between knowing their **** and they're ****. It's not acceptable.
    Your write abaot dis. Lawl
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

I think Singaporeans in general are better at written English than spoken. We can spell well and seem to be able to use correct sentense structures when writing. But when we speak.... the structure goes out of the window. The "la" and "lor" are forgivable lar....

Often Singaporean spoken English uses Chinese sentense structure.
    Example: 这是我的
    But when we speak, it becomes, "This is my wan." Direct translation.

my english are bad... so pardon me if you spot my grammar mistakes :x

Quote Originally Posted by Hanalore View Post
    I think Singaporeans in general are better at written English than spoken. We can spell well and seem to be able to use correct sentense structures when writing. But when we speak.... the structure goes out of the window. The "la" and "lor" are forgivable lar....

Often Singaporean spoken English uses Chinese sentense structure.
    Example: 这是我的
    But when we speak, it becomes, "This is my wan." Direct translation.
    That is usage of pidgin English, just like how certain people in Louisiana speak Creole French, something most native French speakers will not understand.
    Canon 5D MkIII|70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM|24-70 f2.8 L II USM|Σ 50 f1.4 EX DG HSM

Quote Originally Posted by dodgethis View Post

whoa whoa.... hold back on the strong language boss-man! i'd like to point out to you that many are starting to learn mandarin to do business in China as well. other than English, right now the trend is to pick up Chinese, Japanese and Korean as well.

it's not about conducting the business in English. knowing a second or third language can help you a lot as well in business relations.

and when you don't know one and because of that you're screwed over, then there's a HUGE difference between YOUR **** and YOU'RE SH!T

Quote Originally Posted by Sispecho View Post
    That one is typo la
    Noooo! Even when you talk to them they always say "Marco".

Another classic:

FLIM!
    Alpha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast