Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is MBA really worth getting?

Default Is MBA really worth getting?

Been getting brochures from NUS selling their MBA business school program lately. I'm just wondering, is an MBA degree really useful? Do companies actually recognise it?

Hate to say this but the response I get from asking around (from non-MBA grads of cos!!) is that an MBA degree is just 'pian jiak'. I'm sure there must be something useful about it.... Hope to hear from the MBA graduates!

"Selling".... are you sure they really "sell" MBA
    If you not sure yet, better save your money ( and time ) for more worthy cause. Unless you have clear idea why you need it then you don't, atleast not yet. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by David
    Been getting brochures from NUS selling their MBA business school program lately. I'm just wondering, is an MBA degree really useful? Do companies actually recognise it?

Hate to say this but the response I get from asking around (from non-MBA grads of cos!!) is that an MBA degree is just 'pian jiak'. I'm sure there must be something useful about it.... Hope to hear from the MBA graduates!

MBA ...married but available? are you sure its worth it? your wife would take you to the cleaner!

Some work experience plus a relevant MBA will be useful ...

Blog Entries

its a good investment, provided u do it at a reputable institution, eg NUS, NTU, SIM or SMU. as u most probably read in the papers, going the private route is a bit dicey, depending on the schools. i was one of the many dat was conned...
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Actually, dun keep thinking, "Which MBA very hot and sellable har?"

Juz study what u want to gain a wider scope of knowledge and perspectives, some of which will help in ur work even though u might not realise it urself.

I think the real worth of the MBA is the quality of ppl you can "network" with in the course than the course itself... also the brand name of the school you get it from.

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    its a good investment, provided u do it at a reputable institution, eg NUS, NTU, SIM or SMU. as u most probably read in the papers, going the private route is a bit dicey, depending on the schools. i was one of the many dat was conned...
    Hmm.... Agreed. Do check out the ground sentiments in the school frm students and lecturers.

Of cos, if they are pushing courses to u pepped with standard sales talk like, "This course is very popular. Register now and get free iPod and got discount." or things like dat, den siam immediately.

Learnt it the hard way once. No more 2nd time. The way the lecturer teach things, I wanna cry oso. Fortunately, dat private Diploma was taken for fun and juz as a personal sense of accomplishment and nothing more.

The truth is many companies in singapore actually do not value an MBA as much as relevant work experience. The pay increase may not cover the amount of money that you invest in the MBA (plus the lost income during the study period).

What you get out of it is maybe the more intangibles...personal growth, network, self confidence etc. The more effort you put into it, the more you get out of it. There are people who are in the program just to get the paper, and scrap through all the course materials just to get by..then it's really 'pian jiak'.

depends on which schools (Chicago GSB, Insead), the program (Executive, distant learning, coursework, fulltime, part-time), your occupation and most importantly why you want a MBA (to take up senior management role in your organisation, switch career into consultancy or general management, or just for networking and better still - your boss tells you to take so that you can take over ).

Work experience is essential especially for the more reputable MBAs. I will seriously doubt the credibility of any MBA program that does not require work experience or less than 3 years work experience.

Hi!
    I did the MBA from NUS. Graduated about 2 years ago. Well... I suppose whether its worth it or not is really up to you. If you are just going for the sake of the piece of paper, forget it. But if you are doing it for personal growth and you want to learn more (e.g. in your job etc) then its worth it. Dont expect to land any nice cushy job because of it. I guess the return is more long tem and is up to you to really get value from it.
    But if you ask me whether I regret doing it and whether i think its worth it, to me personally I do not regret it because i enjoyed every moment of it - I felt it was worth it because i an studying what I enjoy.

Thanks to those who gave useful feedback. Hmm, I've never thot of signing up for one... until recently been reading the 'adverts' that NUS has been doing and the brochure they've sent me.

From the little that I read here, I should think it's not my cup of tea then. It's going to be just another paper for me. There are just too many of these going around these days.

However, the most ridiculous case IMHO is that you can get engineering Masters degrees from NTU (and NUS I believe) without even having a basic B.Eng! That's it for me....

Used to think of it from a 'return on investment' perspective. It's more of a 'club' membership. Getting a highly ranked 'branded' MBA gives you access to a highly motivated /driven group of classmates /network, what can they add to your learning /career. Success in career is part performance and often luck. What I mean by that is you happen to be the right person, right time and place. The quality of your network helps improve your 'luck.' Hence, an MBA is a signaling device ie a club membership. IMHO.

I think the same rationale goes for every postgraudate programme.

For me, I'll be doing my part-time Masters next year after 4.5 years on the job. I enjoy my current job and knows where I'm heading so I picked the relevant programme so that I can network with the relevant people and enhance/update my knowledge in my field.

I'm not like some who can afford to have a break from work by persuing this full-time so to juggle between work, studies and play is going to be a massive challenge too!

Read the news abt the MBA course in newspaper few weeks ago, the report showed that the MBA cert will not really add "points" when u go for interview, unless u r getting the MBA from world's top universities...

Quote Originally Posted by nova_nebula
    MBA ...married but available?
    nolah..it is mental below average.

anyway...back to topic.

Financially - If after u graduate from MBA..your company immediately adjust your salary..then it is worth it.

Educational - from good uni..yes..we will mostly be beneficial..For me NUS is not good enough. But good MBA does not come cheap..ie..Insead..The Chicago business school. etc. They can be SGD50k.

Imagine with that money..u can have few D2X and 1DMII, a decent studio setup, equipped with all 2.8 lens and attend numerous Model shooting during weekend.

is it true that MBA is more for networking to get busiiness contacts rather than studies?

Quote Originally Posted by wong_se
    nolah..it is mental below average.

Imagine with that money..u can have few D2X and 1DMII, a decent studio setup, equipped with all 2.8 lens and attend numerous Model shooting during weekend.
    not going for MBA, I can eat tonnes of chocolates. ha ha ha

MBA is more about branding and networking. and sadly, NUS brand not quite there yet (not saying anything about the quality of school and teaching, just the perception of it, both overseas and in sg)

Quote Originally Posted by ivan
    Read the news abt the MBA course in newspaper few weeks ago, the report showed that the MBA cert will not really add "points" when u go for interview, unless u r getting the MBA from world's top universities...
    Agreed.

I am in the HR line....if you have MBA from any of the Ivy Leagues or top univ from US then u got chance. $ spent on getting MBA from the local pte sch is better spent in buying cameras and lenses - u inject $ into the economy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast