Page 15 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5101314151617202540 ... LastLast

Thread: D7000 users (Part 4)

Default Re: D7000 users (Part 4)

Quote Originally Posted by hisstory View Post
    Thanks, UncleFai!

My elder kid is getting more active and not as inclined to stay still to let me capture a good shot. I think the Siggy wld help fill the gap

So which lens stays on your camera more these days?
    My usual lens for my D7000 just died. Need to bring it back for servicing. The Siggy is now on the D7000 taking over its place.

Do bear in mind that at 17+mm, there is visible distortion and may not be what you want your kid to look like.

Also, my 17-50 is a grey set (parallel import) I got at DDE. However, these days DDE don't seem to be that cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai

My usual lens for my D7000 just died. Need to bring it back for servicing. The Siggy is now on the D7000 taking over its place.

Do bear in mind that at 17+mm, there is visible distortion and may not be what you want your kid to look like.

Also, my 17-50 is a grey set (parallel import) I got at DDE. However, these days DDE don't seem to be that cheap.
    UncleFai - hello :-)

Need advice -- which lens to use for close-ups/portraits, I want to get sharp faces with all the skin details.
    Speed light blows up the faces, while my 35mm does not capture the minute details in subject's face. Any links or advice for me :-)

Quote Originally Posted by lotus80

Need advice -- which lens to use for close-ups/portraits, I want to get sharp faces with all the skin details.
    Speed light blows up the faces, while my 35mm does not capture the minute details in subject's face. Any links or advice for me :-)
    I'm not UncleFai but I'm giving you my $0.02 anyway. :-P
    Try the 50mm or the 85mm. 1.4 preferably but 1.8 if budget constraints.
    Dxxxx | 35/1.8 | 50/1.8 | Tokina 28-70 | Panny G1 | 14-45 | 25/1.7
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by fmeeran

I'm not UncleFai but I'm giving you my $0.02 anyway. :-P
    Try the 50mm or the 85mm. 1.4 preferably but 1.8 if budget constraints.

You're welcome youngster. :-P
    Dxxxx | 35/1.8 | 50/1.8 | Tokina 28-70 | Panny G1 | 14-45 | 25/1.7
    My Flickr

I haven't found a lens where if I zoom in enough, it won't disappoint me but when I zoom out enough it won't be ok. So it is all about (a) your skills, (b) your capital outlay, (c) your expectations, and (d) luck.

Having said that,I have both the 35mm f1.8G and 50mm f1.4G, and I must say that I am not entirely happy with the IQ especially wide open. I hear that the 50mm f1.8G and 85mm f1.8G are really good but I haven't try them, especially on my D7000.

In any case, I don't do much portraits so I can't really say much. I try taking my relatives, most sian, some scold me for snapping them some more. Gave up.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai

I haven't found a lens where if I zoom in enough, it won't disappoint me but when I zoom out enough it won't be ok. So it is all about (a) your skills, (b) your capital outlay, (c) your expectations, and (d) luck.

Having said that,I have both the 35mm f1.8G and 50mm f1.4G, and I must say that I am not entirely happy with the IQ especially wide open. I hear that the 50mm f1.8G and 85mm f1.8G are really good but I haven't try them, especially on my D7000.

In any case, I don't do much portraits so I can't really say much. I try taking my relatives, most sian, some scold me for snapping them some more. Gave up.
    Uncle, have u tried the Sigma 30mm? That is a really sharp lens. I opted to buy the 35 f1.8 when I switched to Nikon, and I must say that I have got absolutely no complaints abt the lens for what I paid for it (less than $300).

I may be exploring the 20mm or 24mm soon as I like taking environmental portraits. Still tossing my coins. For now, the 35mm serve my purpose well (I am not using the IQ of the f1.4 lenses as benchmark)
    "Time is often the best editor" - Alex Webb

Quote Originally Posted by wolfton

Uncle, have u tried the Sigma 30mm? That is a really sharp lens. I opted to buy the 35 f1.8 when I switched to Nikon, and I must say that I have got absolutely no complaints abt the lens for what I paid for it (less than $300).

I may be exploring the 20mm or 24mm soon as I like taking environmental portraits. Still tossing my coins. For now, the 35mm serve my purpose well (I am not using the IQ of the f1.4 lenses as benchmark)
    Having the right expectation minimizes disappointment lor...

Quote Originally Posted by fmeeran

You're welcome youngster. :-P
    LoL :-D
    Last edited by lotus80; 12th May 2012 at 03:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lotus80 View Post

Play around with the angle of the light, bouncing, etc. If you flash directly at the subject, high chance of getting blown highlights.
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by MacroMarlin View Post
    I have not tried it, but have you tried to 'Revert to Original' the modded raw before putting it back into the SD? I do encounter D90 not being to read modded raw as well...

Pls ignore above,...it didn't work!

...btw, anyone be able to advise whether we will be able to 'unlock' the .nef image for editing from View NX II, after it had been locked by the camera?

...just realised one image copied to my hard disc had been locked, and the original in the SD had been 'thrashed'!
    What I really missed most, is my first SLR. An Olympus OM2 with the Zuiko 35mm f/1.4, back in 1982!

what i know is on the camera while playback mode if u press the key button it will lock the image but lock from being erased. never encountered in the NX2 software. maybe try to find the key button?

or the most is right click on the image in explorer and see if there is a protection you can remove....

Pls ignore above,...it didn't work!

...btw, anyone be able to advise whether we will be able to 'unlock' the .nef image for editing from View NX II, after it had been locked by the camera?

...just realised one image copied to my hard disc had been locked, and the original in the SD had been 'thrashed'!

Quote Originally Posted by Konspire View Post
    what i know is on the camera while playback mode if u press the key button it will lock the image but lock from being erased. never encountered in the NX2 software. maybe try to find the key button?

or the most is right click on the image in explorer and see if there is a protection you can remove....
    Bingo!!! Thanks....I had searched all the buttons in NX....nothing there! After seeing your statement, I did a right click on the image -> Protect file ...then BINGO!!!!

Thanks a lot!!! ........gonna go kick myself in the butt!
    What I really missed most, is my first SLR. An Olympus OM2 with the Zuiko 35mm f/1.4, back in 1982!

it really worked? haha....mondays luck i guess...enjoy...

Bingo!!! Thanks....I had searched all the buttons in NX....nothing there! After seeing your statement, I did a right click on the image -> Protect file ...then BINGO!!!!

Thanks a lot!!! ........gonna go kick myself in the butt!

Just called up NSC to ask quote for Focusing screen cleaning, and was quoted a whopping $120!!! Thats very expensive compared to what Canon charges. Anyone knows of any alternative?

Just called up NSC to ask quote for Focusing screen cleaning, and was quoted a whopping $120!!! Thats very expensive compared to what Canon charges. Anyone knows of any alternative?
    Sorry that mirror only??

Can be used micro fiber clothes to clean by self and use air blower to blow up only

Quote Originally Posted by rain5533

Sorry that mirror only??

Can be used micro fiber clothes to clean by self and use air blower to blow up only
    I think I try that. Got to go YouTube find how it's done. I was just thinking, if I accidentally scratch it, I buy a new piece to replace, still cheaper than to give the $120 to them to clean an old piece...

Quote Originally Posted by wolfton View Post
    that one is cleaning of the interior of the viewfinder is it?
    Nikon D60|D7000|MB-D11|18-55VR|18-105VR|55-200VR|50 F1.8|Di866
    http://**********/u2jTNE

I think I try that. Got to go YouTube find how it's done. I was just thinking, if I accidentally scratch it, I buy a new piece to replace, still cheaper than to give the $120 to them to clean an old piece...
    Won't scratches one, if you got good enough LED light.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyOng

that one is cleaning of the interior of the viewfinder is it?
    No is inside the lens mount.