Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Noticed taste difference of salmon meat

  1. #1

    Default Noticed taste difference of salmon meat

    Hi guys.

    Had salmon twice recently at home and noticed that the flesh and juices are more "metallic" than usual.

    Last time salmon used to taste sweeter and cleaner. Infact the metallic taste is still lingering on my tongue since my lunch and hour ago.

    Is this a sign of bad fish or high levels of metal toxicity?

    Or i'm imagining things?

  2. #2
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,049

    Default Re: Noticed taste difference of salmon meat

    It is said that Farmed Salmon taste difference from wild caught Salmon... not sure if its true, but could explain why you find it difference in taste...

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  3. #3
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,611

    Default Re: Noticed taste difference of salmon meat

    Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    It is said that Farmed Salmon taste difference from wild caught Salmon... not sure if its true, but could explain why you find it difference in taste...
    Perhaps they farm the Salmon in metal tanks?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Noticed taste difference of salmon meat

    Quote Originally Posted by surrephoto View Post
    Hi guys.

    Had salmon twice recently at home and noticed that the flesh and juices are more "metallic" than usual.

    Last time salmon used to taste sweeter and cleaner. Infact the metallic taste is still lingering on my tongue since my lunch and hour ago.

    Is this a sign of bad fish or high levels of metal toxicity?

    Or i'm imagining things?
    Did you soak it in salt?

  5. #5

    Default Re: Noticed taste difference of salmon meat

    better question.. how do you know how metal taste like ?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Noticed taste difference of salmon meat

    May be it is fake Salmon

    Many people cannot tell the differences after the fish was cut into smaller pieces

    They may be using other type of fish but sell it as Salmon to get a better price.
    I eats, shoots & leaves

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    JB, SG
    Posts
    3,483

    Default Re: Noticed taste difference of salmon meat

    Quote Originally Posted by Yutaka Go View Post
    May be it is fake Salmon

    Many people cannot tell the differences after the fish was cut into smaller pieces

    They may be using other type of fish but sell it as Salmon to get a better price.
    may be they jsut color the white fish and package it like salmon ??

  8. #8
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,049

    Default Re: Noticed taste difference of salmon meat

    For China iszit...

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  9. #9
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,430

    Default Re: Noticed taste difference of salmon meat

    1) By any chance, are you going to falling sick soon? Sometimes when you are feeling sick (or about to), your tastebuds may taste things differently.
    2) how was the salmon prepared. Fresh oil or used oil? Many times used oil does contains alot of other residues that give different tastes to food...*in an unpleasant way*
    3) If not the above 2, I suspect the source of the fish....
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  10. #10
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,611

    Default Re: Noticed taste difference of salmon meat

    Quote Originally Posted by Yutaka Go View Post
    Many people cannot tell the differences after the fish was cut into smaller pieces

    They may be using other type of fish but sell it as Salmon to get a better price.
    It could be the catfish from Saigon River.

  11. #11
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,761

    Default Re: Noticed taste difference of salmon meat

    Quote Originally Posted by hanzohattori View Post
    better question.. how do you know how metal taste like ?
    Go cut your thumb and start sucking it. That's how iron taste like.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  12. #12
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    23,821

    Default Re: Noticed taste difference of salmon meat

    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  13. #13
    Senior Member shierwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    3,133

    Default Re: Noticed taste difference of salmon meat

    Salmon are getting cheaper bcos they area farmed.

    Many years back Patin sold at Malaysia restraurant were priced as follow:

    Pond bred 25RM/Kg
    River bred 35RM/Kg
    River Wild Caught 45RM/Kg

    Make your pick.........

  14. #14
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,126

    Default

    Smoked Salmon?

  15. #15

    Default Re: Noticed taste difference of salmon meat

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    1) By any chance, are you going to falling sick soon? Sometimes when you are feeling sick (or about to), your tastebuds may taste things differently.
    2) how was the salmon prepared. Fresh oil or used oil? Many times used oil does contains alot of other residues that give different tastes to food...*in an unpleasant way*
    3) If not the above 2, I suspect the source of the fish....
    Shouldn't be that i'm getting sick. Had the same salmon a few days ago. All from a supermarket called Sh*** Si*** near my place at chinatown. Both have similar "metallic" taste.

    It taste abit like a milder version of licking a rusty spoon, not quite as bad really. But the salmon doesn't yet taste bad per say. I've had danish blue cheese which also taste naturally metallic and sharp, but this is a common characteristic of danish blue of course.

    My mom cooks with fresh peanut oil. Infact I did taste the oil delibrately from the bottom of the plate and it did not have the metallic taste.

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    Smoked Salmon?
    Smoked salmon is salty & umami. Different taste.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Noticed taste difference of salmon meat

    Heavy metals from Fukushima.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,611

    Default Re: Noticed taste difference of salmon meat

    Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Go cut your thumb and start sucking it. That's how iron taste like.
    Before you cut your thumb maybe you want to lick the contact points of your camera battery to know how metal taste like.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,357

    Default Re: Noticed taste difference of salmon meat

    Metallic taste may be the chemical used to keep the salmon looking "fresh" after slaughter, keeping in storehouse, long transport from supplier to wholesaler, then to middleman, then to supermarket, long display period in the supermarket before you bought it. In these days of high oil prices, it costs a lot to keep food properly frozen/chilled.
    Metallic taste is not natural, of course.

    Most likely in your case, it is not Formalin because in Sing, we got strict controls.



    Just to let you know, watched a TV documentary of abuse of FORMALIN (formaldehyde) used by some Indonesian hawkers/market meat sellers to keep their food stuffs looking fresh without refrigeration. Some even apply it to their noodles. Someone told me something similar about China too.

    FORMALIN is used by undertakers to preserve DEAD BODIES for the wake, before cremation. It is a deadly carcinogen.

    This is not fiction. This is real. So look after yourself. See:

    http://nutritionfortheworld.wetpaint...s+in+Indonesia

    http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...376&sec=nation

    http://www.thedailystar.net/magazine...1/sfeature.htm
    [Quote from article] Formalin, a toxic chemical, is rampantly used to make old, rotting fish look fresh. [EndQuote]

    For those who want to deride the concern over misuse of Formalin in food - it is not funny anymore, if you get the BIG C. Most probably stomach/colorectal cancer.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 4th April 2012 at 12:38 AM.

  19. #19
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,761

    Default Re: Noticed taste difference of salmon meat

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Just to let you know, watched a TV documentary of abuse of FORMALIN (formaldehyde) used by some Indonesian hawkers/market meat sellers to keep their food stuffs looking fresh without refrigeration. Some even apply it to their noodles. Someone told me something similar about China too.

    FORMALIN is used by undertakers to preserve DEAD BODIES for the wake, before cremation. It is a deadly carcinogen.
    I also watched a documentary, some South Korean chap poured formaldehyde down the drain and years later a giant aquatic creature start terrorising the city.

    Tsk, Tsk, Tsk. So much for civic consciousness.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  20. #20
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Noticed taste difference of salmon meat

    Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    I also watched a documentary, some South Korean chap poured formaldehyde down the drain and years later a giant aquatic creature start terrorising the city.

    Tsk, Tsk, Tsk. So much for civic consciousness.
    In that story , it was a (US) scientist ordering the unwilling South Korean chappie to pour the fomaldehyde ( cynically reminding everyone of a real fomaldehyde incident in 2000 at the Han river .. )

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •